It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions ignorant comments regarding cannabis.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Picture my surprise when Trump nominated a relic with 70 year old bad ideas for Attorney General.

MAGA, circa 1934.

ETA: What's funny is Sessions comments about the violence surrounding the illegal sale of cannabis being a major bad thing about it. Which is only a problem BECAUSE it's illegal.

My philosophy professor back in the day had a good reasoning for this.

Keeping cannabis illegal ensures that it's only accessible through the black market. It's therefore easier for those seeking cannabis to find other illicit drugs only found in a "black market," therefore solidifying it as "the gateway drug."

In a way, it's brilliant.

Notice how people don't purchase alcohol or cigarettes from sketchy characters or in a back alley. TPTB don't want cannabis to be merchandised this way, and it has nothing to do with safety or a genuine concern for the American populace.

It's a ploy by the pharmaceutical companies, privatized prisons, and police unions across the nation who make a killing of a profit off of folks.

But ignore all this, because according to Jeff Sessions - Lady Gaga told him she was addicted to pot, so therefore everyone who consumes cannabis is addictive and it makes people violent.

For a minute, I was really hoping this administration would be cut from a different cloth. Day by day, it's becoming abundantly clear that business as usual in D.C. was the endgame.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

I'd love to find some stats on the monetary resources/use by Alcohol Lobbyists - that would be telling! (and Tobacco lobbyists for that matter)

Lobbying is ruining a LOT and selling American interests for foreign nations.

We even lease off-shore Oil Rigs to SAUDI ARABIA, which is supposed to have "plenty of oil on their home ground"... they probably just go and sell it right back to us after barreling it on our own territory!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Right now, Sessions is speaking from ignorance/inexperience.

Someone needs to take Sessions to a safe place for 4-5 hours, provide the man some Banana Kush, so he can realize what we're all talking about man!

The dude will abide after that fo sho!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

No, true believers will not. My mom, good old Baptist, would not when she was sick with chemo and radiation. She died 86 pounds. Putting religious people in charge of the justice system is a real bad thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

What a waste of time, resources, and goodwill Sessions is prepared to commit to.

The genie is out of the bottle and there's no putting it back in. The majority of Americans now support legalization and a whopping 93% of them support medical marijuana if prescribed:

57% of Americans Support Marijuana Legalization and 93% Support Medical Marijuana

As more and more empirical data - from states with legalized marijuana - illustrates, marijuana isn't the boogeyman that turns the apple of your eye into a panhandling, dope fien; the old narrative of marijuana will continue to die. In the Quinnipiac poll linked, you'll notice there is only one cohort that still opposes legalization: the old people in the US. The opposition of legalization will continue to die with the dying of the old people; the data will continue to support the views of the under 65 demographic and support for legalization will continue to rise (what is the ceiling for support? 66%? 70%?)...this is futile rhetoric and will be even more futile policy.

What I would ask Sessions is: how do you plan on carrying out enforcement? A lot of the law enforcement professionals in the legalized states have determined this isn't worth their resources, nor is it an effective means for reducing crime and serving the public. The DEA isn't capable of enforcing the CSA now that nearly 25% of Americans live in states that have legalized...the Feds are gonna need local and state LEO resources...not enough LEO willing to turn their backs on their neighbors and PTA members. It's not feasible or reasonable.

The opportunity to stop the legalization train was some time ago and Jeff I-was-cool-with-the-klan-until-i-heard-they-smoked-pot Sessions is not the face of reasonable public health policy that will change voters' opinions. In fact, the optics of this stance couldn't be worse. This is Jeff Sessions trying to convince the public that they have gotten the issue wrong. As a supporter of legalization, I couldn't be happier that it is Jeff Sessions attempting to carry out enforcement. Someone like, Trey Gowdy, would have me a bit more concerned, but it's Jeff Sessions. Enough said.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

i have a few friends that smoke pot, i have never seen them get high and want to go out and cause problems. mostly they watch movies or game. have some friends that like to drink, once they get a good buzz going they start looking for trouble. i don't know if this is pretty much same for everyone as i neither drink nor smoke myself but seems to me they made the wrong one illegal

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This reminds me of gay bashing. In the 90's ,assholes would go around beating up gay couples, thereby proving they weren't gay....
It didn't work, we found out most doing the gay bashing, we're themselves gay, and afraid to admit it.

Marijuana is not sold in corner stores, alcohol and tobacco is... But I'm going to guess that's where this guy's family made their money.
Just like al gore.

He just needs numbers that make him look good and he's onboard. Cities and counties and states need to show him a buisness plan that creates a surplus of revenue that can pay large dividends to show how good he is at managing us stupid citizens.

Like a retarded supervisor at work, make em look good, then ears open...
edit on 312017 by Natas0114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Sessions always talks around the issue when it comes to how he would act as AG. A govt official who can't look you dead in the eye and tell you his plans is an evil person.

The people who know Sessions' views and embrace them are evil people.

Anyone who seeks to enforce their personal belief system on another is evil.
edit on 1-3-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: added point

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well to be true to the actual answer he gave, it was more geared towards getting Heroin/Fentanyl and Illegal Prescription drugs off the streets. He even said "I AM DUBIOUS ABOUT MARIJUANA. STATES CAN PASS WHATEVER LAWS THEY CHOOSE" which is just a snip from the entire quote, but I don't see them doing anything about legalization of marijuana. They all see it as income, and a lot more income than having prisoners in private prisons.

Anywho...until they actually start cracking down on marijuana legalization and reversing things it is all just conjecture....similar to almost every other thing that people are complaining about with anyone in Trump's camp....it is like a child screaming about his/her knee being skinned before they even fall.

The full transcript for his talk is here for anyone that wants to go through it to read the actual quotes rather than bits and pieces spliced together to make a story:

[url=https://www.c-span.org/video/?424665-1/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-delivers-remarks-national-association-attorneys-general&start=1446]Source[/ url]

For some reason the link for sources is not working for me....not sure why, but you can copy and paste that to get it. The site keeps adding in spaces that I am unable to get rid of making the link invalid....
edit on 3/1/17 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It also seems big tobacco gave Sessions so much money he had to give some back.
paleofuture.gizmodo.com...
edit on 1-3-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

What a weird way to look at this.

So, we should hold our tongues until they actually act on it?

I'll take Jeff Sessions own words over someone saying "what he REALLY meant to say," all day long.

He has been pretty clear and consistent in his views. I have every damn right in the world to discuss this, as it affects millions of Americans who are in favor for medicinal cannabis.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
It also seems big tobacco gave Sessions so much money he had to give some back.
paleofuture.gizmodo.com...

Yet another nail in the coffin when it comes to the "anti-establishment," propaganda campaign.

That's good to know. Sessions was in R.J. Reynolds pocket - but I'm sure he came to his senses and doesn't partake in these activities anymore. /sarc

That's pretty damning.

Sessions is a twat.

Sessions also introduced a pro-tobacco industry amendment in 1997 that would cap how much money lawyers could make from suing tobacco companies. The goal was evidently to hamper legal efforts to go after the tobacco industry, which was spending millions to fight regulation of its product. The Sessions amendment was narrowly defeated.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

I'll take Jeff Sessions own words over someone saying "what he REALLY meant to say," all day long.

He has been pretty clear and consistent in his views. I have every damn right in the world to discuss this, as it affects millions of Americans who are in favor for medicinal cannabis.

Never said you had no right to discuss it. But you are taking an article with clips from the entire answer to the question in which the writer used to make it all about weed....it wasn't. He even said states can do what they want. He was actually talking about heroin and much harder drugs as far as cracking down on them. He knows he can't do anything about the marijuana laws and likely doesn't want to.

I wouldn't want him to either....I am all for legalization. I just don't think that he is going to do anything to reverse the momentum on legalization. He hasn't as of yet, and has not given me any indication he will. He HAS given indication he will do as much as possible to stop the heroin issue and fentanyl and prescriptions issues because kids are dying from that crap, and in record numbers.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Still waiting for a cannabis emoji ATS.......

Get with the times

Luckily I live in Washington state, our governor Jay Inslee has basicly said this isn't a fight the federal government wants to have, and that he will defend the will of his voters with every tool possible.

Trumps all about economic recovery, once he sees the money that's being made I seriously doubt he's going to do anything to compromise that. So good luck Jeff.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: RomeByFire

Never said you had no right to discuss it. But you are taking an article with clips from the entire answer to the question in which the writer used to make it all about weed....it wasn't. He even said states can do what they want. He was actually talking about heroin and much harder drugs as far as cracking down on them. He knows he can't do anything about the marijuana laws and likely doesn't want to.

I wouldn't want him to either....I am all for legalization. I just don't think that he is going to do anything to reverse the momentum on legalization. He hasn't as of yet, and has not given me any indication he will. He HAS given indication he will do as much as possible to stop the heroin issue and fentanyl and prescriptions issues because kids are dying from that crap, and in record numbers.

Heroin has no medical benefits, though, and I don't think that's what he meant by talking about "getting at every corner grocery store."

Sessions has been a lifelong advocate for the war on drugs, and ironically enough, has taken money from tobacco companies.

This man should see no place within government to preside.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: PlasticWizard
Sessions can not like mj all he wants, he can't do anything about it if it's not illegal. This bill was just introduced to congress. The ball's in their court.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today 5th District Congressman Tom Garrett introduced legislation aimed at federally decriminalizing marijuana.

The short title for this legislation is cited as the "Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017." If passed, this bill would take marijuana off the federal controlled substances list - joining other industries such as alcohol and tobacco.

Originally introduced by Senator Bernie Sanders in 2015, this bill fulfills a responsibility to create a level playing field across the country.

tomgarrett.house.gov...

looks like this is the real deal

NOW we get to see where the rubber hits the road. There is no reason this should not be passed in the next few days. We will actually see who is in favor of personal liberty and who is not.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Sessions can not like mj all he wants, he can't do anything about it if it's not illegal. This bill was just introduced to congress. The ball's in their court.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today 5th District Congressman Tom Garrett introduced legislation aimed at federally decriminalizing marijuana.

The short title for this legislation is cited as the "Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017." If passed, this bill would take marijuana off the federal controlled substances list - joining other industries such as alcohol and tobacco.

Originally introduced by Senator Bernie Sanders in 2015, this bill fulfills a responsibility to create a level playing field across the country.

tomgarrett.house.gov...

NOW we get to see where the rubber hits the road. There is no reason this should not be passed in the next few days. We will actually see who is in favor of personal liberty and who is not.

That we will.

Those who preach for personal freedom versus those who genuinely want personal freedom will soon have their true intentions exposed.

I applaud anyone who takes on a task such as this. Decades of propoganda against the devils lettuce has severely curtailed the objective and empirical evidence that proves the contrary.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

tomgarrett.house.gov...

Let's hope a republican congress chooses to legalize what the Attorney General sees as a dangerous drug.

Just reading that after typing it made my hopes diminish a bit, but I'm trying to stay positive.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Session's only job is to enforce the law that already exists.

He can not change the law no matter how much scientific evidence there is.

It is up to congress to take the scientific evidence and change the law.

Why didn't Obama and the dems change the law when they had the majority?

Why didn't Obama request for the FDA to consider rescheduling marijuana?
edit on 1-3-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'd bet that Sessions has been ITCHING to get into the AG office to enact this policy.

No laws have changed.

Sessions has no power to change laws.

It is his duty to enforce existing laws as written.

Talk about ignorant comments...
edit on 1-3-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join