It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona police maces an 86 year old protester

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
this is the state that wanted to handle protesters the same as terrorists. we do have the right, in the constitution, for peaceful assembly. these old people were not being violent or causing damage. if you have to slam an old person to the ground then mace them to control the situation, you do not need to carry a badge!

www.washingtonpost.com...< br />
www.pressherald.com...

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: blackthorne

Sorry but I disagree with your assessment.

Does age give you the right to break the law?

The protest was admittedly getting out of line. The woman had no right to interfere with police trying to protect public safety (protesters on the road and interfering with traffic). She approached the officer and was pushed back. I do not think he meant to push her down but did mean to push her away from him. When she fell, she did not appear to hit her head. She held her head curled forward as she fell.

The people who rushed forward were not helping her up as stated. They left her on the ground to yell at the policeman. The crown is definitely getting out of control. The police sprayed the crowd to get them to back off.

Do you really think that an 86 year old can't be a threat to police, even if its just by riling the crowd up? She could have been carrying a gun.

If you go to a protest (and that is your right), you had best know for certain that the police are there for public safety and to control the crowd. Obey their instructions and you should be ok. Be aware though that the police are in charge. They are not there to be verbally abused, assaulted and disobeyed. If the police are in a challenge situation, be aware that they are NOT paid to lose the fight.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

peaceful protest yes, to obstruct roadways and block people from their evryday life no. your right to protest ends when it obstructs others right to free movement.

and if your a 86 year old lady, you shouldn't be charging a police officer doing his job if you don't want to hit the ground.
that's just dumb.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

God that makes me want to snap my feet at attention and say heil hitler.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Maybe she will finally learn her lesson about breaking the law and being violent with the police.

You'd think at 86 years old she would know better.
edit on 1-3-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

It takes a big stretch of imagination as to how much damage can be inflicted

by an 86 year old protester/terrorist ...... just thinking arthritis, hip or knee

replacements ..... and everything else.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
agree that they should not have been in the street. but police are not some creature that have all the rights. they work for the public good. if a cop can not take some verbal abuse with out blowing his lid, then he does not need to have a badge.

and btw, that "well, they could have been armed" catch all does not work. if that were the case, might as well live in a police state. presumed guilty until proven innocent? do not want to live in such a place.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Wow, what a relief! Thank the Lord for these brace LEO's for stopping this menace of society.

Rapists, thieves, killers, traffickers - meh. We need more enforcement towards elderly folks who step out of line.

We won't tolerate your dissidence, Betty! Get curb stomped you BK.

/sarc

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
peaceful protest yes, to obstruct roadways and block people from their evryday life no. your right to protest ends when it obstructs others right to free movement.

Wow. Some of the greatest and successful protests for social change and advancement have been done through passive protest, including passive obstruction.

I am no fan of people who inconvenince selfish old me while they protest, but I would rather they were able to do so than be brutalised, or live in fear of not being able to protest because of the threat of being brutalised.

Watching the OPs vid., I can say there are poor social skills from the police and that using mace was unneccaery. The police really need to defuse situations like this. The use of mace just shows that the police are poorly trained and don't care.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
seems old granny woman wasn't the innocent thing people want to claim, she was obstructing. and besides that she was not hurt or arrested. non story.

from OP's second link.

The 86-year-old woman had joined with three other women in locking their arms in front of the police van, blocking it from leaving. After officers unlinked the women’s arms, one pushed her to the ground. Officers then pepper-sprayed Baker in the face. “Here’s this woman on the ground, and they’re so busy pepper spraying those who were helping her, they never help her up,” Baker said. “Do we look violent to you?” The 86-year-old woman, who has not been identified by authorities, was not injured, and was able to get back up on her own. Baker, however, was still recovering from the pain in her eyes three days later.

edit on 1-3-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

it's still not your right to block people from their freedom of movemnt, your right ends when it violates mine. just that plain and simple.

ETA: also if you notice, she was obstructing police from doing their job. they gave the guy three chances before they arrested him the old ladies tried to block the police van. ____ around no matter what your age, lose a around.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
No Granny Don't!

Its hard to watch
with that siren

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Here's the video in case the video link doesn't work...Tough guys huh!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
"this is the state that wanted to handle protesters the same as terrorists."

Really?

I've never seen any war footage where the soldiers rushed terrorists and began maceing them.

Would you have rather had the cops taze the old person?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

I am getting tired of people being irritated that roadways were blocked when they weren't even on that road and probably never will be.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Some cops there need to be losing their jobs. Just awful to watch! There's no excuse for that kind of police brutality.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

We expect more from a human police officer.

An individual capable of thinking and feeling. Able to properly assess a situation and apply an appropriate amount of force.

After all, cops are public servants.

A 90yo person is hardly a threat unless a person (the police in this case) is/are incredibly insecure or a snowflake.

If a cop's job is simply to use brute force, then it only makes sense that they be replaced by machines/robots.

You dont expect any humanity from a machine.

edit on 1-3-2017 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

That's messed up mate.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I am getting tired of people being irritated that roadways were blocked when they weren't even on that road and probably never will be.

i could care less about what your tried of.

it's a fact that when you protest and obstruct a roadway you violate someones right. what makes your rights more special than someone else? nothing does, your entitled to peaceful protest and i'm entitled to freedom of movement no matter where in the country it maybe.

if your out protesting for a right or what you find as a injustice, you shouldn't be willing to violates another right to satisfy your sense of injustice.

ETA: especially if that someones right that your violating has nothing to do with what your protesting over. for all you know they may even agree with you but have more important things in life to take care at the moment.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Shout out to the 86 year old for even protesting. And boo to the officer...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join