It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Come Round Again [YJA 2017]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
An empty, infinite expanse. A weightless existence. Peaceful. There were no thoughts, no memories, no worry, no pain. Only complete and utter serenity. Slowly, distant stars began to come into focus. The most beautiful nebulas materialized. I was filled with an overwhelming love that permeated throughout my body and radiated out into the universe.

Something different began to overcome me. A memory. But not like a normal recollection. I was there, in my young body, in my young mind. Sitting on my grandfathers lap as he told me stories of adventure. I was captivated, happy, and filled with wonder and excitement. I wanted to hug him, oh God how I've missed you. Before I had the chance the memory faded back to space, his last words "Was your life worth dying for?"

I appeared to be headed for a dimly lit star far off in the distance that seamed to beckon me closer. The most beautiful galaxies surrounded me and filled me with joy. Another memory took hold. Older now but still a child. I was on a boat with my father. The steering had broke. He was steering from the motor in the back and I was the lookout up front. I remember how much I looked up to him and wanted to be like him. He could fix anything, or MacGyver out of any situation. He was a superhero in my young mind. Filled with pride and excitement, I heard the words again as I faded back into space "Was your life worth dying for?"

I was getting closer to the star in the distance. From somewhere behind came a comet passing me with blinding speed. Its tail glowed brightly as it struggled to keep up with the frozen rock that was eager to get wherever it was going. As I passed through the trail it took me somewhere else. I was in the woods with a BB gun. My first gun. A beautiful cardinal had landed on a branch. I was helpless as my younger self raised the gun and put it in my sights. The creature was knocked from the branch and laying on the ground. I ran over to see its struggling body breathing in and out heavily. I was helpless as the bird looked up at me. I was filled with overwhelming sadness. His tiny beak opened and a small drop of blood slowly ran out. "was your life worth dying for?" it asked as everything faded to black.

An overwhelming acceleration rocketed me back into space. Gone were the stars and nebulas. I was moving faster and faster towards the star. It was growing brighter and brighter. Suddenly I was surrounded by memories. All around me flashes of my whole life. Every emotion I'd ever felt pierced through to my core. Love, hate, sadness, jealousy, pride, fear, like an intense cocktail of emotion pulling at my every fiber. I saw every face of everyone I had ever loved and everyone I had ever wronged. I couldn't focus on one single thing but I could perceive every memory and feeling as they pierced me at the speed of light. It was as if my mind had a mind of its own.

The star was growing brighter and closer at increasing speeds. The emotions were fading save for one. Love grew stronger in me as fear and sadness faded. Soon I knew nothing but love. The memories were fading. I couldn't remember who I was, where I had been. Just love and serenity. I was so close to the star now I would be passing through in just seconds.

Nothing but white.

Nothing but love.

I struggled to breath. Slowly colors materialized. I was looking into the beautiful blue eyes of a woman. She held my tiny body close as tears of happiness filled her gaze. A man leaned over on her shoulder smiling. For now, all I knew was love. I don't know how I came here, the way was overgrown. Every new child has to grow.

Was your life worth dying for?

THE END.

edit on 1-3-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Oh my gosh, yes! Loved it and felt every word.

Creative and clever. Bravo!

(off topic-ish) My children's father drowned and survived, of course but, he described that once the burning in his lungs stopped and he just sort of 'gave in' that it was quite peaceful and happy (?) and he saw those he loved around him and I suppose I likened it (in my mind) to one's life passing before their eyes. Anyway, your story made me think of that.

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Wow...that was truly beautiful to read, FauxMulder.

"Was your life worth dying for?" (What a question!!)
You might have to wait for responses as the rest of us sit and scratch our heads and ponder that.

S&F
jacy *scratches head & ponders*

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thanks much!

I've heard a few stories like that. Very interesting. I suppose we will all find out for sure eventually.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Thank you so very much!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Good job Fauxy, nice entry.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thank you good Sir!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I loved this short story. What a great start to my day.....

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: VincentBrooks

Thank you, I'm glad I started your day off correctly.

Now go forth and make 20 post so you can come back and give all of our entries flags!
edit on 1-3-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
So beautiful!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
What a great story! I might have to make one now..

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Faux that was beautifully touching!!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyYo

Thank you. I look forward to seeing yours! Good luck

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I am getting caught up on all the other entries, in order, and happened to have Whitesnake cranked up, Here I go Again as the protagonist is heading out towards the white star...

Try adding that as a soundtrack if you choose to! It worked for me!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Nicely done Mr. Mulder!

Great story.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

wow....very fine writing

thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link