It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Signals Major Shift on Immigrants

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

You are like the people in the ghettos who hate police, yet when the Police leave, complain that there are no Police! That is called damned if you do damned if you don't. Nothing Trump can do will ever satisfy you.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: network dude

so essentially, nothing he could do would please you, got it.
Shocking.

You are so wrong. Him quitting the job would please me greatly. So have any comment on the actual thread or are you just going to do your usual whine for Trump?

What "thread"? You posted facts about Trumps immigration stance where he decided to lighten up a bit to offer something to the liberals, and in true liberal fashion, you have a problem with it. And as you said, the only thing he could do that you would approve of is quit. So my post stands as intended. You, like so many others are so closed minded you won't even entertain the idea something Trump does could be a good thing. I'd prefer the hardliner approach, and deport all the criminal illegals tomorrow, but that isn't a reality. Too many bleeding hearts who pick and choose which laws are important, and which ones should be ignored.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Exactly. There is only so much you can do about the one's already here. The bigger problem is stopping the influx.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   

So the ability to see value in compromise towards a common goal is a bad thing?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
First of all your source is an opinion piece that is nothing but conjecture, some might even call it fake news. Second, I watched the speech in its entirety and the only thing that I got was that he was going to continue to be tough on immigration, even more so with the introduction of only taking immigrants that will not be a strain on the system.

I think he's probably setting the Dems up for a taste of what they dealt out the prior eight years. He's going to offer them an Obama-style compromise, which is to say 95% of what he wants in exchange for a small, largely irrelevant pittance thrown to the Dems, and when they inevitably reject it, Trump is going to whack them over the head with it and accuse them of obstruction and unwillingness to compromise, just as his predecessor was known to do.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

what shift?
shifting them to mexico?

and the ones who applied for citizenship years ago but are still in limbo will get amnesty?

this is what happens when you try to appease babies instead of a firm, yet loving, whack

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm not sure where the criticism of 'liberals' is coming from in this case.

It is possible to dislike his immigration policy promises etc.
It is also possible to prefer this course of action but dislike the fact that it shows he lied/did not keep a promise.

Somebody doing something you want does not automatically earn them praise if they have gone against what they previously said in order to do so. I'm certainly no liberal, I voted for Brexit, however before Trumps inauguration day I said to friends he will either be a bad person (follow through with some of his promises I disagreed with) or a bad leader (go against the promises he made to get voted into power).

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

so essentially, nothing he could do would please you, got it.
Shocking.

And what is it that he has done that has pleased us?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: umbr360

So a good leader would do the things you think are wrong? And a good person breaks promises?
I don't think you thought that out.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: umbr360

So a good leader would do the things you think are wrong? And a good person breaks promises?
I don't think you thought that out.

liberal thinking =/= actual thinking

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

A good leader may do things which are wrong in my opinion yes. A good leader and a good person are not necessarily the same thing. A good leader keeps the promises they made to get voted in(unless circumstances change).

Of course you can argue that two promises may contradict each other but that's a whole other issue.

For example, I think 'the wall' is a ridiculous idea. But if he gets it built, and somehow gets Mexico to pay for it, I can't deny that's a sign of good leadership. It would make him a bad person in my eyes though.

To the second point, yes a good person can break promises. If those promises are to do things that I believe are wrong, breaking them is forgivable to me. But that isn't the sign of a good leader, breaking promises for no reason, or making promises you have no intention of keeping is bad leadership.

edit on 1-3-2017 by umbr360 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: umbr360

A good leader may do things which are wrong in my opinion yes. A good leader and a good person are not necessarily the same thing. A good leader keeps the promises they made to get voted in(unless circumstances change).

Then he is a good leader, because he is keeping his promise. A good leader knows they can't get everything they want and they compromise for the best deal possible. Exactly what he seems to be doing.

For example, I think 'the wall' is a ridiculous idea. But if he gets it built, and somehow gets Mexico to pay for it, I can't deny that's a sign of good leadership. It would make him a bad person in my eyes though.

So he is a bad person for keeping illegals out? Hilarious.

To the second point, yes a good person can break promises. If those promises are to do things that I believe are wrong, breaking them is forgivable to me. But that isn't the sign of a good leader, breaking promises for no reason, or making promises you have no intention of keeping is bad leadership.

Making promises you won't keep is not a good person. You seriously need to think this through again.

Trump is keeping his promise of being tough on immigration and dealing with criminal illegals.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
They need to lower the cost of the Immigrants applying for citizenship. The cost of lawyers to do this is way too much, especially since immigrants make less money then others in most parts of the country. The government should have it's own people doing this, not personal lawyers they have to hire. You can keep four people working specialized in this for the cost of one immigration lawyers hourly fees.

I remember how it was back in the seventies. The tax rate was a little higher, but most government services were either free or cost very little. They cut back the tax rate a tad then started to charge for everything the government does. The police even derive a lot of their money from tickets they give. I can see having charges for criminals for court costs, but I can not see police having unofficial quotas.

These hidden taxes riddle our society. They fine businesses to gain income for agencies, then the businesses just tack it onto what they sell. Along with this tacking expenses, they tack a profit margin on to it to cover the cost of paying someone to handle it. I think it was less deceitful to just have a little higher income tax rate than to sneak the taxes on everything. Look at your phone bill, look at the cost of your license plates. It plagues our society.

Our government needs money to run, to build and maintain the roads, to deal with disasters. Lowering the income tax rate just means that they get it somewhere else. They are highly trained in scamming people, in getting us to believe they are lowering taxes but in essence it is just shifting the burden. We need to pay state sales tax on our non food purchases of things bought on the internet and we need to start buying at local stores more. We must keep the money in our communities so businesses can supply jobs. With internet sales, the money leaves the community. The wages that places like Amazon pay are not that great, a worker in a grocery store should be able to compete. Once we lose our local stores, we are under the control of a central business that can control what we need, this is a policy of government, to make us totally dependent on them. The Democratic party favors this policy more than the Republicans, the NWO is all for this. Pharma companies tell us their medicine was discovered in a rare plant yet the chemistry is found in common plants in our local area, they did not lie, they just shifted our focus. If you noticed, Democrats seem to favor medicine and this is because they can make us dependent on the system.

We need to take a good look at some of these policies and put the control of our country back in the hands of the people. I am tired of looking at carrots dangling from a string.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Lawyer is not always needed. I did all the paperwork for my wife's immigration.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Then he is a good leader, because he is keeping his promise. A good leader knows they can't get everything they want and they compromise for the best deal possible. Exactly what he seems to be doing.

I don't see that as a good leader personally. Asking for a better deal than you expect, and negotiating back to the one you actually wanted is fine for business. Promising something to get elected, then dialing it back in compromises is not good leadership. Your quality of leadership should be determined against what you told people you were going to do, not what may have been in your head as the real goal.(By the way, I'm not claiming the alternative would have been any better than Trump here.)

So he is a bad person for keeping illegals out? Hilarious.

I didn't say that. I simply think the wall is an absolute waste of money and wont work. It's doing something to be seen as doing something. Every country has the right to keep illegal immigrants out, and to deport them if they find them in their country.

Making promises you won't keep is not a good person. You seriously need to think this through again.
Trump is keeping his promise of being tough on immigration and dealing with criminal illegals.

I'll concede there in part, I suppose you could argue it isn't a good person...but as to the comment I made to friends you initially queried my logic on, I only said he'd be a bad person if he followed through on certain promises. There's a lot of grey between bad and good. It would be more accurate to say breaking a promise does not necessarily make you a 'bad' person.

You used the word 'good' in your reply to me and I then used the word also. Not what I originally meant but the confusion is my fault.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Then he is a good leader, because he is keeping his promise.

Like what? Which ones? Which promises has he fulfilled, at this point? What has he actually done, at this point, that has fulfilled any of his campaign promises, besides signing orders and bills that require other agencies to come up with solutions within an arbitrary period of time?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Maybe you should try to follow along. The person was discussing hypotheticals. So far Trump is on track to keep his promises, and has worked to keep jobs in America, and illegals out.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Yet another day yet another broken promise. He complained about Obama's amnesty and here he is doing the same thing. Hypocrisy much Trump? Trump is just like Obama and Bush before him just another token to be used by corporate America as they see fit. It's funny to see how his followers keep saying how he's going to change things but after it is all done he is just another trained dog.

Ok lets put aside his broken promise and Hypocrisy . are you agreement with him or not in regards to provide amnesty to illegals under those circumstances?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I'm asking you for examples. You're the one making the claim that Trump has kept his campaign promises. Back it up.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I'm asking you for examples. You're the one making the claim that Trump has kept his campaign promises. Back it up.

Ban of 7 counties.
Wall is moving ahead.

Need me to list the companies he has engaged with who have decided to invest in America?

1 month in, how many promises do you expect him to have 100% completed?
According to this, he's kept 7, broken 1, and 7 more have been launched. The one he broke was a partial compromise, but I consider it broken too.

They give him great reviews so far too. All kept or in the works .. with 1 compromise.
www.politifact.com...
www.washingtonpost.com...

So my question to you is what has he broken? What should he have done by now he has not done?
edit on 1-3-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join