It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump speech to joint session of Congress, February 28, 2017

page: 29
<< 26  27  28   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
"THAT WHICH IS NOT EARNED HAS NO VALUE"

We can agree on that.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Puppylove

a reply to: UKTruth

Speaking as a person on the left who has abandoned support for it until we can get some sanity back in terms of our representation and stop the crazies from speaking for us and pretending that's not a problem you're exactly right. This behavior has pushed both me and many others away, and yet denial is so often the chosen course instead of realization.

Well, speaking as someone who has always been moderate because I hold some very conservative views and some very liberal ones, I think we do ourselves a disservice when we make absolute statements.

Not agreeing with someone's thoughtful summation (in this case, yours) doesn't mean that anyone is in denial.

There are more ways to look at the world than just two.

But the term 'looney left' is being specific. It's not the left, it's an element of the left. Just like the far right looney's don't represent the right.
You are right in that there are more than two perspectives at play. Calling a specific group out for ridiculous behaviour is not a judgement on the entire ideology of the left, some of which makes sense.

Sure "looney left" is a tad more specific than "the left" but neither point to anything concrete. It's conceptual, not actual. It's rhetorical not referential.

My argument would be ... calling out WHOM? ANTIFA, Black Bloc Anarchists, kids at Berkeley who have too much time on their hands and got caught up the fervor created by professional antognists? BLM, American Communist Party, etc. etc.

I'm not saying we don't ever use collective groups; I'm saying when we get down to "the X does A, B and C" then we need to be careful and exact with our terms.

Otherwise, we're just going to keep irritating 46% (or so) of Americans with nothing to show for it.

edit on 1-3-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Satire:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

a reply to: gps777

Gesturing toward "the looney left" is a mere rhetorical device. It's like me saying "wingnuts" or "neo-cons" or "Trump supporters."

It's a generic vague term and it's only use (and the only uses of those other terms) is to marginalize individuals.

I think this is the only thread I`ve used the term, but if the shoe fits.

I have said on other occasions "the left you know the ones, their new fragrance is pepper spray" I`ve heard it all from the left calling Trump supports everything under the sun for the past year and listened to your and my bias Media twist and condemn DT and give Mrs Pant Suit a free ride along with the backing of your past POTUS, while these demonstrations riots protests etc against anything Trump related continues. If it was fair, Hillary would have been smashed and wouldn`t have given birth to the mass of these looney left still out fighting DT as POTUS, still backed by her.

And your whining about a term looney left to describe those who subscribe to that mentality shows just how trivial you will call out bad behaviour compared to the above.

Whether you see me as a problem or not I don`t really care, you fooled me once, at the end of the day I know I supported the best person for the job for all American citizens (even if it was only a bit here on ATS), I can`t say the same for the looney left.

I actually want the crap to stop not support those types and if you are supporting those types in any fashion your part of America`s big problems.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gps777

I'm not whining about anything. I'm pointing out the logical fallacies in what you write. Further, I'm pointing out that if the two "sides" keep doing this ... as you're doing here ... spewing everything you can think of to incite partisan ire ... that's all we are ever going to have.

If that's what you're working for, good job.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You claim to want to reduce divisiveness, but you can't stop the partisan programming.

I support what I've always supported, the US Constitution, equity before the law, etc.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

How about the "Lunatic Fringe on the Left that isn't really the Fringe, as unlike the majority of democrats, is the only ones getting any real attention or support" does that work?
edit on 3/1/2017 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Fantastic speech by Trump, even some never-Trumpers and liberals had to admit it. The more The People hear from Trump, the more they will like him, and they will trust the media bias less and less.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
Fantastic speech by Trump, even some never-Trumpers and liberals had to admit it. The more The People hear from Trump, the more they will like him, and they will trust the media bias less and less.

was that the real trump though? that was a toned down version, the script writers obviously told him to chill with all the incendiary and divisive language. something tells me the real trump would have spent the bulk of the speech complaining about the media and hbragging about himself.

i have to admit i thought his speech was tasteful this time around but was that the real trump talking?

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

How about the "Lunatic Fringe on the Left that isn't really the Fringe, as unlike the majority of democrats, is the only ones getting any real attention or support" does that work?

Who are they? What groups? What individuals? What are their goals? What are their specific characteristics?

The point I'm making is not a semantic one, but is rather, a practical one.

Consider if I say "All Trump supporters are Nazis."

What is the requirement for being a "supporter"? Is voting for him enough? Owning a MAGA cap? Do they have to feel the same about him now that they did in November? or last Summer? Is there a distinction between liking the man and approving of his policies? Etc.

We won't even start on what really constitutes a Nazi.

Here's another way to look at it. Are all Democrats left? What if someone registered as such and voted in 2008, and has since become so disgusted with the general quality of American politics that not only have they not voted in two cycles, but they no longer think (or never thought of themselves) as Democrats?

More examples:

Christians are hypocrites.

Republicans are selfish.

Right wingnuts are gullible and believe anything their media tells them.

Muslims are terrorists.

Etc.

None of this helps anyone gain understanding or advance causes.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy

was that the real trump though? that was a toned down version, the script writers obviously told him to chill with all the incendiary and divisive language. something tells me the real trump would have spent the bulk of the speech complaining about the media and hbragging about himself.

i have to admit i thought his speech was tasteful this time around but was that the real trump talking?

I asked myself that as well. Here's the funny thing ... when I was watching him deliver it, I thought it was the same BS I'd come to detest. When I read the speech, however, I saw that, indeed, if he accomplishes only a small portion of what he's calling for ... that will be more progress than America has seen in decades.

It just so happens that infrastructure is what I believe the government SHOULD be doing.

As long as he abides by the Constitution, I'm willing to wait and see.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Speaking as a person on the left who has abandoned support for it until we can get some sanity back in terms of our representation and stop the crazies from speaking for us and pretending that's not a problem you're exactly right. This behavior has pushed both me and many others away, and yet denial is so often the chosen course instead of realization.

Well, speaking as someone who has always been moderate because I hold some very conservative views and some very liberal ones, I think we do ourselves a disservice when we make absolute statements.

Not agreeing with someone's thoughtful summation (in this case, yours) doesn't mean that anyone is in denial.

There are more ways to look at the world than just two.

But the term 'looney left' is being specific. It's not the left, it's an element of the left. Just like the far right looney's don't represent the right.
You are right in that there are more than two perspectives at play. Calling a specific group out for ridiculous behaviour is not a judgement on the entire ideology of the left, some of which makes sense.

Sure "looney left" is a tad more specific than "the left" but neither point to anything concrete. It's conceptual, not actual. It's rhetorical not referential.

My argument would be ... calling out WHOM? ANTIFA, Black Bloc Anarchists, kids at Berkeley who have too much time on their hands and got caught up the fervor created by professional antognists? BLM, American Communist Party, etc. etc.

I'm not saying we don't ever use collective groups; I'm saying when we get down to "the X does A, B and C" then we need to be careful and exact with our terms.

Otherwise, we're just going to keep irritating 46% (or so) of Americans with nothing to show for it.

Fair enough, I am all for that, but it goes further in my view if you really want to be objective. As well as nailing down specifics of a group/person and calling out the issue, the over dramatising of every issue in order to drive a political agenda also needs to stop. Unfortunately this is not so isolated, it's a mainstream feature of the rhetoric of whichever 'side' is not in power.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I agree with you 100%.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Greatest
Speech
Ever
Time for unity!
a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

My family lost 5 great uncles who all died on D day. I had another who was in the OSS and wacked five Russian spies and he never talked about it except once. I also gave up my career and family as a Confidential Source for this? That's right sleeping with a loaded 9MM beneath my pillow for 9 years just to stop a shipment of microchips from getting into KGB hands along with other stuff. Really? Just so the illegals can have a nice day. I don't think so. This is a county of those who have suffered and those who haven't. I don't have feelings for a bunch of people who migrated here illegally instead of standing up and righting their own ship.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Wow what a speech

Then again obamas speeches in the beginning were good too

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I think he's a great president, for what I see today like taking on pedophilia and going to the moon and a lot of other important stuff he should come to our country and tell our politicians how you live up promises you make when presidential elections are happening.

Most of our politicians are against Trump or let us say they are scared of his drastic measures. Well, I can't wait to see that here too.
He reminds me of a new kind of Kennedy if I may say so?

Wish I could see that Speech, but I missed it.

I've seen it , and wow what a statement, and I do believe he will live up those promises.
edit on 0b02America/ChicagoFri, 03 Mar 2017 14:44:02 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoFri, 03 Mar 2017 14:44:02 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28   >>

join