It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on The Enemy of the People

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+63 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
One of the many problems with the mainstream press and its consistent parrots is that they are becoming no more than political cowards concealing themselves as political heroes. This ugly and vulgar method of salesmanship, which is now, through inundation, commonplace among their consumers, has the effect of making any petulant moron into a brave and self-sacrificing dissident.

Picture a scenario in which bleating the party-slogans to fellow members of ones own tribe is considered brave, and you'd scratch your first impossible thought before breakfast. Not even a congregation reciting scripture, speaking in tongues, and singing hymns would wager that conceit. But this nullity didn't stop Judd Apatow from abusing the "brave" adjective on Meryl Streep for her speech at the Golden Globes, which she delivered, clutching a statue of gold, to a fawning audience of rich friends and peers of like-opinion. The subject of the speech, as we already know, was lacking in bravery as much as it was lacking in dissent.

But signalling conformity is the going rate, and these are the people we're dealing with. The press would have us believe, for instance, that there is a fascist and iron-fisted authoritarian in the White House, a charge that hasn't been more than an argument by repeated assertion: never proven and even contradicted. Meanwhile their negative, defamatory and unethical yellow journalism has never waned, ceaseless to the point of nauseum. They publish without restraint, scruple, and against the ethics of their craft, the illegal leaks of faceless and unelected bureaucrats to bring down the elected leader at a rate unseen before. All of this and their rights and freedoms remain untrammelled and unopposed.

Yet when the same leader (the target of their hatred) has the gall to call the unrelenting press the “enemy of the people”, a charge they themselves have permitted themselves to use. Rags such as the New York Times get to evoke images of Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. With this they get to paint their target as the real "enemy of the people", a murderous and tyrannical communist dictator, while surreptitiously painting themselves as the threatened and bullied class. Still their rights remain untrammelled. Their stupefied readers grow more humourless.

Even ISIS couldn't fabricate better anti-American propaganda, that ISIS isn't even bothering to so. The "fake news" does it better than anyone else. Just like the British left-wing press was a gift to Goebells during WWII, the American liberal media complex is a gift to the enemies of the United States.

When Iranian director Asghar Farhadi protested American immigration reform by not showing up at the Oscars, he no less seized on the opportunity to engage in facile crowd pleasing (probably written by the Iranian state) with a series of glib non sequiturs, and to a gleeful, mostly American audience. He got a standing ovation—not only from the people in attendance, but also the press. Of course, if he had aimed that criticism to his own country, which is a country that refuses travel to anyone with an Israeli stamp in his passport, he would have been met with an extended prison sentences or execution, and very little applause. When we compare a culture that can give an Iranian director an Oscar and a standing ovation, to one that gives 90 lashes to a group of youth dancing to Pharrel's "Happy" in the streets of Tehran, it is evident which one we should stand up to and which one we should cheer. A gentle booing might have been in a bit more appropriate. The applause, as contemptuous and deceitful and mind-numbing as it was, reveals that human rights, the arts, and free expression, is the very last of their concerns, but worse, that people will throw their leader under the bus even when told to by Iranian propaganda.

A quick glimpse at social media (and you, ATS?) proves that people would share an opinion piece regarding a tweet before they would the press release, speech or official statement. The division, the hatred, and the subsequent action is media generated. The context, if it was ever there in the first place, is long gone before it enters the minds of those who can only dream in slogans and headlines. It isn't likely that the attempted assassins, the protesters, the anti-fascist groups, the celebrities, or those marching for reasons without cause, are attending rallies, hearing dissenting opinions, or listening to speeches without the constant filter of their yellow journalism. If they had, they'd know an enemy of the people when they saw it.

Thank you for reading,

LesMis

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well said.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Well, typically when someone lies to me over and over, they aren't my friend. The opposite of friend is enemy.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Very well put and very true .Trump is a hard pill to swallow for many .Many have swallowed it and find it has a placebo effect as far as thinking and seeing goes . With the MSM doubling down on stupid we also see the effects of their poisoned pill .Trump has them all spinning out of control and it looks like they are circling the drain ..Well I think they are ...Can they pull themselves together without taking the placebo ?... I mean before they find themselves totally in the septic system . At this point ,they need to find the plug ...Them shutting up doesn't seem like a option ....

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Very well said, but as usual, most of the ignorant will read this and have a hard time comprehending the message. The sheep will sheep on.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

so youre basically agreeing with Trump on all basis, and in everything he's done in a nutshell....

the POTUS just said he 'THINKS' Obama is behind the leaks and protest against him... the 'uniter' in chief just made a paramount and unsubstantiated claim that a past president is conspiring mutiny against him, and the MSM are the ones talking bullocks with no 'proof' huh...
based on what sounds like paranoia he asserts OBAMA is weaving some kind of web against him. and a week before that he thought it was the INTELLIGENCE agencies whom were all against him...

this only shows the power of persuasion. there were many like Trump whom were able to persuade non sense to people willing to swallow it... to the last minute.
edit on 28-2-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

so youre basically agreeing with Trump on all basis, and in everything he's done in a nutshell.
Doh...like what little george said ."if you are not with us then you are with the terrorists"..? some completely miss the mark .

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The only enemy of the people I see is the big lying megalomaniac cheeto colored POS currently occupying the white house and waging war against life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Since I do not watch, nor care about the MSM, they are of no consequence to me. They are a problem for the sheeple who are too lazy to fact check.

The biggest enemy of the American people is the madman elected by idiots currently trying to turn this country into his own kleptocratic nazi playground, the one who is actually attacking Americans with his policies, surrounds himself with a hive of anti-American villainous scum, and has made us the biggest shameful joke on the planet.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Your OP only works if you start with the premise that Trump isn't lying, only the media is. Which is easily proven false. I think your disdain for those you disagree with is clouding your judgement. I get that it's a popular thing among conservatives to view people that don't support Trump as being little ignorant sponges that can't think for themselves and soak up whatever narrative the media hands them, but that line of thinking is rhetoric, not reality.

edit on 28-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
The only enemy of the people I see is the big lying megalomaniac cheeto colored POS currently occupying the white house and waging war against life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Since I do not watch, nor care about the MSM, they are of no consequence to me. They are a problem for the sheeple who are too lazy to fact check.

The biggest enemy of the American people is the madman elected by idiots currently trying to turn this country into his own kleptocratic nazi playground, the one who is actually attacking Americans with his policies, surrounds himself with a hive of anti-American villainous scum, and has made us the biggest shameful joke on the planet.

Tell us how you really feel...

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
You're OP only works if you start with the premise that Trump isn't lying, only the media is. Which is easily proven false. I think your disdain for those you disagree with is clouding your judgement. I get that it's a popular thing among conservatives to view people that don't support Trump as being little ignorant sponges that can't think for themselves and soak up whatever narrative the media hands them, but that line of thinking is rhetoric, not reality.

And what about the rhetoric that all Trump supporters are dumb, idiotic cult members that blindly accept his every move? Honestly this rhetoric is further from the truth than the one on you guys.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Social media and the MSM is dumbing down the masses is a huge problem. Being an idiot is the new cool. If you monitor the hashtags that pop up in the worldwide trends for example you will notice that gossip,celebritiy scandals,reality tv dominates the list 24/7. The majority of people doesn't care anymore. The travelban wasn't even a big deal for most of them. During the whole fake outrage i logged 2 million tweets and at the same time the miss universe hashtag logged 30 million tweets. It's a very little percent of the population that really cares. The people who are against Trump hide behind the illusion that they are backed by hundreds of million people. That is not the case at all.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

You're OP only works if you start with the premise that Trump isn't lying, only the media is. Which is easily proven false. I think your disdain for those you disagree with is clouding your judgement. I get that it's a popular thing among conservatives to view people that don't support Trump as being little ignorant sponges that can't think for themselves and soak up whatever narrative the media hands them, but that line of thinking is rhetoric, not reality.

And what about the rhetoric that all Trump supporters are dumb, idiotic cult members that blindly accept his every move? Honestly this rhetoric is further from the truth than the one on you guys.

If that's not true, then prove it wrong. Write a thread critical of Trump, calling him out on something he's done that you disagree with.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

If that's not true, then prove it wrong. Write a thread critical of Trump, calling him out on something he's done that you disagree with.

Did you forget about his marijuana and private prison laws?

What do you expect a thread about? I've made it clear on so many occasions that the things that bother you are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so why would I waste my time nitpicking about it?

When there is a clear issue that actually effects us, you've already seen the response.

ETA: on the flip side, when has anyone on the left praised anything he has done?
edit on 28-2-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
This ugly and vulgar method of salesmanship, which is now, through inundation, commonplace among their consumers, has the effect of making any petulant moron into a brave and self-sacrificing dissident.

Are you talking about Trump?

I guess those pots love calling out those kettles.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Very profound examination and presentation of what is happening with the rhetoric of the self-important msm press and their self-important blustering mouthpieces out of the Hollywood elite.

I think these bloated egos have a NEED for a cause to latch onto, especially a cause that gives them lots of fodder to use to feed the masses of wannabe mentalities that tend to lap up their celebrity and sanctimonious bullspit.

Everybody doesn't have the independent determination to walk that long and winding road to find truth. They prefer the sensational rhetoric that creates action, especially negative action like all the things that divide people...racism, mysogyny, phobias and 'isms of all kinds.

They like to be entertained, in other words, and who does it better than the fake news and Hollywood?!

Trump understands this, and he is using their own methods to expose them and shine the light back on them. He pulls out the beacon and puts the spotlight right back on their big fakeness and hypocrisy.

edit on 28-2-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Did you forget about his marijuana and private prison laws?

What do you expect a thread about? I've made it clear on so many occasions that the things that bother you are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so why would I waste my time nitpicking about it?

When there is a clear issue that actually effects us, you've already seen the response.

I've barely talked to you on ATS and I have no idea about your post history or politics. You don't support private prisons or the roll back of cannabis legalization? Cool.

I'll be waiting for the day a Trump supporter makes a thread critical of him.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

When has anything he done been praiseworthy? I'm still waiting.

I'm not on the left, and I think the guy is the biggest threat to the safety, sanity, and security of this country. But even I can point out one good decision he made: picking James Mattis as Secretary of Defense. And...that's about it.

Everything else he has done has me wondering if I am still living in the U.S. or some dystopian hybrid of Running Man, 1984, and Idiocracy.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Even ISIS couldn't fabricate better anti-American propaganda, that ISIS isn't even bothering to so. The "fake news" does it better than anyone else. Just like the British left-wing press was a gift to Goebells during WWII, the American liberal media complex is a gift to the enemies of the United States....

If they had, they'd know an enemy of the people when they saw it.

It appears that your OP is ripe with hypocrisy.

While you blast the MSM for invoking images like Stalin, etc, to give the impression of whom is the real "enemy of the people", you invoke ISIS and Goebells for the same purposes.

I think the only thing we could agree on is that there is an abundance of "yellow journalism" at our disposal, but that is not something new and not limited to just those that publish content critical of the president. The same problem lies with those that publish content that is favorable to the president as well.

So it seems that you are saying that it's only a certain brand of "yellow journalism" we should be concerned about and should be considered enemies of the people, but the "yellow journalism" that confirms your own biases are ok.

In other words, you are on one side of the fence bleating in protest about the bleats coming from the other side.

Either way, your both still sheep.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

When has anything he done been praiseworthy? I'm still waiting.

I'm not on the left, and I think the guy is the biggest threat to the safety, sanity, and security of this country. But even I can point out one good decision he made: picking James Mattis as Secretary of Defense. And...that's about it.

Everything else he has done has me wondering if I am still living in the U.S. or some dystopian hybrid of Running Man, 1984, and Idiocracy.

I don't know, maybe his fight against the establishment? Him calling out corruption? His fight against human trafficking and pedophilia?

Of course you will deflect these points and only continue to prove my point that you've all made up your mind and he can't do any good..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join