It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed Wins Presidential Helicopter Bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
In recent news, Lockheed Martin has beaten Sikorsky on a bid to field a fleet of Presidential Helicopters. Additional information can be found at:

Lockheed Martin's Website

or

Jane's Defense Weekly

If someone wants to upload a picture, there's a great one on the Lockheed site.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Of course, both the UK and Italy being staunch supporters of Baby Bush and joining his "coalition of the willing" probably helped heaps in political brownie points and getting the "US101" selected

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Lockheed wins? No mention at all of the fact that the helicopter is a European design and build, eh?
The US101 helicopter that won the contract is a licensed evolutionary version of the EH101 helicopter built not 30 miles from where I type this, and the US101 is a jointly marketed and produced model for export markets. The fuselage is constructed in Bristol, UK and shipped to Lockheed factories in the US for avionics and engine fitting.

Believe me, there are celebrations going on at AgustaWestland at the moment.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Thats a shame I was really pulling for Sikorsky to get the deal. I know many people that work there

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Thats a shame I was really pulling for Sikorsky to get the deal. I know many people that work there

Yeah sikorksy is one of the best helicopter companies i'm suprised they didn't win.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yeah Sikorsky is one of the best helicopter companies, second only to Agusta-Westland, so I'm not suprised they didn't win

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Yeah Sikorsky is one of the best helicopter companies, second only to Agusta-Westland, so I'm not suprised they didn't win

I dont know did Agusta-Westland ever make anything that could compare to the Comanche.

You also know that Agusta-Westland is copying Igor Sikorsky's design with every helicopter they make. His basic design is still copied to this day.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This sucks it should of gone to Sikorsky, a great helicopter company. This should of been a sign and a commitment to the US aviation industry and not just the bigger players.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Here are some shots of it:

AND

[edit on 31-1-2005 by chaosrain]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Why the bitterness?

Dr Funk, why does it stink? the S-92 is relatively unproven while the EH101 has a long safety record to point at. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the S-92 but, if you are talking about a presidential transport, proven reliability must be a big factor. The EH101 is also one of the greatest choppers around today, an extremely impressive beast.

Also Shadow XIX, I think that the Comanche used quite a bit of advanced technology developed by Westland in the UK, mainly BERP blade technology which I know was licensed to Sikorsky, they also independantly designed and produced the Lynx, one of the most successful helicopters in the world and for many years the world helicopter spped record holder so you spiteful dig was inaccurate and unwarranted.

edit for indignation; Come to think of it we buy your F-35, C-17, C-130J, et al WHY can't the USA be allowed to buy one damn helicopter off us without you all going ape about it?

rant over, sorry for any offence caused but it needed to be said.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by waynos]

top topics

join