It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX to send privately crewed spacecraft beyond the moon next year

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
I'd bet anything this doesn't happen by next year, probably not in the next 10 years. It's a good goal to have, but unrealistic at this point, IMO.

According to NASA sources (which I don't have but, hell, there are threads about Trump wanting manned missions ASAP on ATS), they are SCRAMBLING to try to make the first US manned in a long time to be a shot around the moon. Without even testing it first.

Meh, I guess if people want to volunteer to be space monkeys, that's their call. I think they know they are taking huge risks. Just like Evil Knievel jumping fountains in Las Vegas.
More power to them.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I mentioned Trump only as a rich man like branson. I guess you missed that?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: PassiveInductor

They even made nuclear power rockets, I was watching a documentary on the Phoebus experiments the other day.

Nuclear Thermal Rockets

It would seem that work is still or has recently been done on such propulsion methods, I love a bit of cuckoo and nuclear propulsion is up their with chickens that bark.

I love it

Thought you'd be interested.

I like your point about submarines, some of these huge submarines can dive to incredible depths, so yes I can fully imagine we can built vessels for space travel as big as the Empire State building. It's fathomable because we already have done it... In a sense.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

Soros on a one way trip?

Why send him on a one way trip? Fair enough you never pushed any politics per say but was it not written with a viewpoint in mind?

Maybe it's Soro's and Putin off to restart the Nazi bases...

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: PassiveInductor

we can built vessels for space travel as big as the Empire State building. It's fathomable because we already have done it... In a sense.
I like this
I am sure all this has been at one time or another virtually if you will on a full scale PC simulator inside the earth somewhere.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Soros on a one way trip?

Why send him on a one way trip? Fair enough you never pushed any politics per say but was it not written with a viewpoint in mind?

Because those where the only 3 RICH I could think of at time of post.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Doh! Forgot Putin, thanks!

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Soros on a one way trip?

I was being conspiratorical not political. I guess you don't get that? I should have said soro's possibly having a pre-build base for him, boy you would have been furious!!!
edit on 2 27 2017 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It would be great if Kissinger and Cheney were "the ones". It would also be great if SpaceX could ensure that their craft left Earth orbit successfully without too much fouling of the Earth area with rocket debris and then, shortly afterwards, explode slowly in one of the greatest and most colourful light-shows ever performed for man in the visible heavens.

"Strap in boys, those van Allen belts can get kinda rocky..."

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

"Strap in boys, those van Allen belts can get kinda rocky..."

I keep reading all this stuff about the this "Belt"? Think of a belt about the waist? Can't we just hurdle over it? It would not be called or classified as a belt for a reason? A belt around anything is just that, a belt.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired

Soros on a one way trip?

Because those where the only 3 RICH I could think of at time of post.

I'm not fussed either way pal

In regards of the mammoth submarines that some militaries have, some can dive 600 meters... Good luck finding any concrete data because it won't exist. Not in the public domain.

I've heard of stories of 2500 feet, even 5000 feet. For something the size of a Vanguard class submarine to reach 1000 feet is a hell of an achievement regardless.

In simulation, they'll have done all sorts. As mentioned some of these well built feats of engineering exist.

As the other poster mentioned look up the Orion project of the 50's, some good documentaries are on YouTube about the project.

Giant spaceships that would use nuclear explosions as propulsion. It would work too... Not so environmentally friendly though.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Belt is just a namesake, think of it like a layer of gobstopper that you really don't like...

Ideally you want to pass through it extremely fast, spending a minute in the microwave would be more appealing than a minute in the Van Allen belt.

It's not a good place to be.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BiffWellington
Wow. What must it be like to be an individual with the means to buy a trip around the moon just for the fun of it?

So I only just seen the news on tv and the story on space X popped up. But the way it was worded was 'SpaceX to fly two tourists around the moon'

Hmm I wouldn't call these individuals tourists. If they have the money just to buy a flight into space then they arnt your average joe tourists. Should of said 'SpaceX to fly two super rich bankers/billionaires/millionaires/oil and property tycoons into space'

When I hear the word tourist I Think of people like myself who have to work all year round just to spend two weeks in another country/city

Meh I think I'm just jealous I'm 31 .. and I highly doubt I'll ever get a chance to get out there

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

It's more a bag than a belt. Imagine a region of space so toxic to humans that to pass through it on the way to the Moon without serious shielding materials (think Lead) would be a serious hazard to your health. And that's just the way there...

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
so how much of the $4 billion + of federal subsidies is Musk going to spend on this so he can charge people for the product we bankrolled later.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990
I get you. And agree.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Belt is just a namesake, think of it like a layer of gobstopper that you really don't like...

Ideally you want to pass through it extremely fast, spending a minute in the microwave would be more appealing than a minute in the Van Allen belt.

It's not a good place to be.
See! Right there, you say "Pass through it" I say " go over it; it's just a belt.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

It's more a bag than a belt. Imagine a region of space so toxic to humans that to pass through it on the way to the Moon without serious shielding materials (think Lead) would be a serious hazard to your health. And that's just the way there...
Ok, you say "pass through it" I say go around it.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Just before anyone get's COCKY and says it all over and around like a bubble? It would not be called a "Belt"

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: BenSisko

But, but... how will they keep everyone who flies into space from telling the world that the earth is flat?

LOL

Not only that, how will they tell the world that it's not possible to go to the moon since the apollo missions were fake. Ha! This will only create more conspiracies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join