It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: "The Media is Indispensable to our Democracy"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
George Dubbya brought his full charming swagger into the studio today to conduct an interview (plugging his new book about war heroes). A couple of topics they touched on was the press and the Muslim ban.

Funny how he even said the press was important for holding accountable "people like me". And that we cannot possibly fight a war with ISIS if we are in retreat mode, thus his stance on the travel ban.

Remember those memes during Obama's administration with a picture of George W. Bush and a caption reading "Miss me yet?" My immediate response for the last eight years has been "Hell no". But now? Things are to the point where I'd welcome another eight years of Bush over four years of Trump. He's a right-wing ideologue but he has ethics and he knows how to president.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

If the media accurately reported questions surrounding 9/11 and reasons for the war in Iraq, I'll bet Bush wouldn't be defending them.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Oh how I hated him. He makes some good points in places here though. I noticed he seemed to compare our MSM to Putin's media. Not contrast, but compare. Free Press is essential...how did we give it up?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

If the media accurately reported questions surrounding 9/11 and reasons for the war in Iraq, I'll bet Bush wouldn't be defending them.

If you remember, they did hold Bush to the fire quite a bit and made him look like an incompetent jack-ass for not vetting his sources enough before going into Iraq.

If by "media accurately reported", you mean how the media didn't report the holographic planes and orbital beams from space? Yeah, I'm cool with them skipping over all them "facts". The rest of the conjecture was reported and there were big deals made of it. It was all ignored by the people who could do something about it, not by the media.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Never thought I'd write these words but .... I agree with George W. Bush.

Still think he's a war criminal though.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: FamCore

If you remember, they did hold Bush to the fire quite a bit and made him look like an incompetent jack-ass for not vetting his sources enough before going into Iraq.

If by "media accurately reported", you mean how the media didn't report the holographic planes and orbital beams from space? Yeah, I'm cool with them skipping over all them "facts". The rest of the conjecture was reported and there were big deals made of it. It was all ignored by the people who could do something about it, not by the media.

Beat me to it. I seem to also recall them beating him up over his lack of vetting information better and for getting us involved in not one but two wars.

And I'm also okay with them not asking him why he's not investigating reports of holographic planes.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

You're the only one who brought up holographic planes and orbital beams from space (in order to try to belittle my comment and group me in with a bunch of idiots who subscribe to ridiculous theories).

The media spins a nice little web that our "leaders" can then use to their advantage. I am utterly shocked at anyone, especially those on ATS who would deny this of happening during and after 9/11.

The Atlantic "The Media and 9/11: How We Did"

Excerpt from the introduction of this article:

The role -- many would say, failure -- of the media in the run-up to the Iraq war has been widely debated. But two questions more immediately related to 9/11 have been less loudly argued: Did we exaggerate the threat of Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda, thus contributing to the collective paranoia, intrusive security measures at airports, and multi-billion dollar security industry that survives on fear? And did we fail to monitor the erosion of civil liberties?

edit on 27-2-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
imo....

When Trump went up against the Bush family and the CIA, he had no idea the **** storm he has brought down on himself.
This is just the beginning.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I agree with Bush, except the problem is we don't have an unbiased media. They don't perform in the way "ethical journalism" claims it performs. They are not neutral in any sense of the word. It pervades the profession from "Tingles" Matthews to the local weatherman. They worshiped Obama, shilled for Hillary, and act like immature Jack Russell attack dogs because they all see themselves as another Woodstein. If they would take a step back and say, "Look, I'm going to put my own views aside here and try to deal with this in a neutral manner," that would be okay, but they don't do that. As likely as not they wind up BEING the news rather than report on it. Every news pundit in the business lectures the public on what THEY see as appropriate national policy. Well guess what? No one hired you to decide public policy or mold public opinion. But in this day and age we have reporters as celebrities and stars with salaries to match. And the anchors don't even report; They read what others have reported. Why them? Because they look pretty and speak without a huge accent.

Yes, an unbiased media is essential to a democracy. It;s just that we don't have one. Trump is the first to actually point that out.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Shrub needs to be in retirement home . He even more delusional than before to say we need the propaganda outlets .

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Freedom of speech is indispensable.

A biased media is just the PR arm of any given ideology.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
imo....

When Trump went up against the Bush family and the CIA, he had no idea the **** storm he has brought down on himself.
This is just the beginning.
Shouldn't we be for him for exactly THAT reason alone, Olaru? We know their dark deeds.

Bush Crime Family or Clinton Crime Family, it's all been more of the same. That 'same' is our shameful foreign policy and nation toppling. Religions aren't to blame for rampant and explosive terrorism, foreign bombs are.

That's why no matter how much we bomb, we only make more terrorists. Seems stupid to me. And, like I said, shameful. On all of us.

Trump knows nation toppling is stupid and immoral. So yeah...he has enemy sights aimed at him from rogue and evil elements that love War. He's an outsider and that's WHY the war on him.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Freedom of speech is indispensable.

A biased media is just the PR arm of any given ideology.

That is precisely why referring to the media as the unofficial "4th Branch of the Government" is so fitting (I heard that from a music artist named Immortal Technique)

Then these media outfits go and spend millions of dollars on PR campaigns to try to prove to the viewers that they are "fair and unbiased" LOL yeah right!

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Trump knows nation toppling is stupid and immoral. So yeah...he has enemy sights aimed at him from rogue and evil elements that love War. He's an outsider and that's WHY the war on him.

Except Trump is so egotistical; I can't trust a charlatan suffering from dementia of the aged, to make rational decisions about foreign policy. And I'm not convinced that he and his military cabinet aren't plotting their own war.

America is in the business of war, we export it, manufacture the implements and staff it accordingly and remember, Trump is a businessman.

Glad I don't have any kids to sacrifice to the Military Industrial Oligarchy that still calls the shots. It's a tried and true, established pattern....you didn't notice?

Do you honestly think Trump will change any of that.

Moloch rules you know.
edit on 27-2-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I agree with Bush that we need an INDEPENDENT media and an INDEPENDENT PRESS. The problem lies with the fact MSM is biased and very seldom, if any, can be believed. Of course Bush was happy with them because they mainly spun the stories the way they were told.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Except Trump is so egotistical; I can't trust a charlatan to make rational decisions about foreign policy. And I'm not convinced that he and his military cabinet aren't plotting their own war.

So, use his egoism then makes sense to me. if we all stand together and ask him to change our destructive & destabilizing foreign policy, by your line of reasoning, his ego would demand it of him.

It would also answer the second part you aren't convinced about.

He's an outsider. We've been needing one. They aren't always perfect, but we shouldn't miss this chance to support a shake up of the old guard.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

He's an outsider. We've been needing one. They aren't always perfect, but we shouldn't miss this chance to support a shake up of the old guard.

I honestly didn't expect you to be so naive to believe that campaign BS. There are no outsiders in DC. There is only the MIC and that's the only game in town. Either you get with the program or you don't get to play.

You can't shake up the old guard. Who exactly do you think the "old guard" is? They aren't political; they transcended that boy scout BS long, long ago.

perhaps my Moloch reference was lost on you....

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There is another narrative here, one the "Free Press" won't tell. They supposedly hated him when he was POTUS now drag him out as the hero, something doesn't add up.

He looks like a puppet man for shadow Intel group opposed to Trump.

They ruined his presidency, destroyed the political career of Colin Powel and others with their "Intel" skills. They sucked so bad they couldn't predict 9/11, then led the POTUS down a path through Iraq without the solid proof to back it up in the end. The WMD's were there, they did go to Syria but they provided no proof for the so called free Press or was it an oversight lol.

The POTUS lost command over intel, GW Bush was the first proof of the concept. Their war against Trump is the final nail in the argument. The Very Fake News is staffed with their trainees. It is no longer an animal lost in the conspiracy wilderness. Trump is chasing it down with a leash in his hand.
edit on 27-2-2017 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: drifter1109

The problem lies with the fact MSM is biased and very seldom, if any, can be believed.

The MSM is what it has always been , yes there is bias but that normally comes from its proprietor , like Rupert Murdoch CEO of Fox News.
It doesn't surprise me that Trump uses Fox as his main news source.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I'll never miss Bush. He helped start or continue the corporate sell out or more accurately corporate take over of the government. It set the tone for politicians in the future and gave ruse to Obamas record setting campaign fund and ultimately led to the Supreme Court decision allowing for unlimited donations to super pacs.

The big problem with society today is complacency. We settle for OK or "decent" politicians which usually turns into bad. The sad part is while being bought by corporations our government is a disaster and many of the employees would be terminated for their inability to do their jobs. Many of them only work a portion of the year, pathetic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join