It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrisy alert: DNC verified voter IDs before chairman election

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: Devino
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I am fine with the ID being free, and then anyone not using it to vote is then charged.
What do you mean "charged"? If that means money then NO! It would then potentially be in conflict with the 24th. NO POLL TAX!

How is it a poll tax when you have no charged if you vote? Explain.
I think I misunderstood you. You mean, charged for an ID when not using it to vote, correct? If so then my apologies. I was under the impression a voter ID would only be good for voting. Therefore no reason to get one unless you want to vote.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I am fine with the ID being free, and then anyone not using it to vote is then charged.
What do you mean "charged"? If that means money then NO! It would then potentially be in conflict with the 24th. NO POLL TAX!

I think I misunderstood you. You mean, charged for an ID when not using it to vote, correct? If so then my apologies. I was under the impression a voter ID would only be good for voting. Therefore no reason to get one unless you want to vote.

My idea is a free State ID, valid for everything (Not Driver's license). IF you choose not to vote, then you are charged. It would actually encourage voting, something we should be doing.

So as long as you vote, your State ID is free.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

Recorded at time of vote. That is how you ensure the same person is not voting multiple times. I imagine it could be added to filing for state taxes, or checked the next year when you get your new card. Not going to bother spending weeks figuring out the best way to do it as it's irrelevant. The process need not be difficult.

Recorded at time of vote? Where is it recorded? How is that data accessed?

You see the charge being added to State taxes ... oops, there's that 24th Amendment issue again.

It probably sounds like I'm picking at nits, but I'm not really. Charging someone back for an ID if they don't vote, just doesn't make any sense for many reasons, as above, and also ... due process. We don't require citizens to vote in this country; you can't make "those who got an ID at no cost" a special group.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

a reply to: Devino

IF it is unconstitutional as you claim, explain the States that have it ... Wisconsin anyone?
All it took was 5 seconds to google your answer.

How to Get a Free State ID Card for Voting

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation provides free state ID cards for voting.
Wisconsin Elections Commission

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

You see the charge being added to State taxes ... oops, there's that 24th Amendment issue again.

IF that is even a problem .. and the charge is only for those who DONT vote .. so not a problem. You can't claim you had to pay money to vote which impeded on your right to vote when you willingly chose not to vote and there was no charge for voting.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Exactly my point. Voter ID is not inherently unconstitutional. It just has to be done right.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

My idea is a free State ID
I think leave it at that. Free voter ID good only for voting. Of coarse there are other acceptable forms of ID like a state drivers license or passport.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

IF that is even a problem .. and the charge is only for those who DONT vote .. so not a problem. You can't claim you had to pay money to vote which impeded on your right to vote when you willingly chose not to vote and there was no charge for voting.

It is a problem.

The charge is associated with the ID that is required to vote and you're suggesting we charge that back on the State tax bill.

There are no laws requiring any American to vote.

I'm sorry Occams ... this seems really clear and straightforward to me ... we can't do it the way that you're suggesting.

States either need to provide the IDs for free in an easily accessible manner, or they need to allow for methods of identification that individuals already have. (like voter registration cards, for example.)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Exactly my point. Voter ID is not inherently unconstitutional. It just has to be done right.
So then, we are in agreement. That wasn't so hard.

Now the point of this thread has to do with the hypocrisy of the Democrats on voter ID laws. The crux of their argument (Dems) has to do with the 24th, poll tax, and potential difficulty for some eligible voters attaining an ID. Make it free and easy then no argument thus no hypocrisy.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It is a problem.

The charge is associated with the ID that is required to vote and you're suggesting we charge that back on the State tax bill.

I'm sorry Occams ... this seems really clear and straightforward to me ... we can't do it the way that you're suggesting.

States either need to provide the IDs for free in an easily accessible manner, or they need to allow for methods of identification that individuals already have. (like voter registration cards, for example.)

There is no law requiring you to get a free ID for the express purpose of voting if you aren't going to vote. If you are not going to vote, do not get the free ID. Please explain what you are paying in order to vote?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DevinoMake it free and easy then no argument thus no hypocrisy.

Except Democrats fight that as well.

This is why I don't tie myself to any party. I am free to do what is reasonable, and not tow the party line.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Your recommendation is the ID required for voting is free, if and only if, one votes.

There is no law, nor precedent in law that requires one to vote in America.

Therefore, if your ID required to vote has a cost, even deferred, it is still a tax.

As far as I understand the issues involved.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DevinoMake it free and easy then no argument thus no hypocrisy.

Except Democrats fight that as well.

This is why I don't tie myself to any party. I am free to do what is reasonable, and not tow the party line.

Well, just as a general statement, some Democrats will fight anything (as well as some Republicans.)

I now think of myself as Independent as I have traditionally. I would love to have more VALID options than merely R or D.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

It is a problem.

I don't know a single state that gives a free drivers license, yet you're required to have one to drive. There's no law requiring anyone to drive, yet without a paid ID of state issue of some sort there are a lot of things you aren't able to do.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I dropped from the Democratic Party after decades of membership when it stiffed Bernie Sanders. I always expected some degree of spin and puffery, but could not condone outright fraud. I knew it was happening during the primaries, so it was somewhat comforting that WikiLeaks validated my beliefs when releasing the DNC emails.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

My idea is a free State ID, valid for everything (Not Driver's license). IF you choose not to vote, then you are charged. It would actually encourage voting, something we should be doing.

So as long as you vote, your State ID is free.

Actually a great idea...could have the same chip as credit cards in it, you plug it into the chip reader, vote and done...that chip is then locked until the next election. Simple setup. You don't vote, you get a bill for $5 or whatever amount. I'd sign up for that. Just add it in to my DL.

No chipped ID, no vote....makes it easy.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Your recommendation is the ID required for voting is free, if and only if, one votes.

Yes, which satisfies the Constitution.

There is no law, nor precedent in law that requires one to vote in America.

Therefore, if your ID required to vote has a cost, even deferred, it is still a tax.

As far as I understand the issues involved.

There is no law requiring you get the ID, so there is no cost. Anyone who chooses to vote can do so with no cost. anyone who chooses not to vote can do so with no cost. anyone who gets the ID and has use of it for purposes that do not include voting have a cost ... as they should.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

There is a law requiring me to get the ID if I wish to exercise my right to vote, and if it costs me to do so, that transgresses the 24th Amendment.

Perhaps we have gone as far as we can on that particular point?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

If you get it, and you vote, and you pay nothing .. how has it cost you to vote?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

If you get it, and you vote, and you pay nothing .. how has it cost you to vote?

Any number of variables I can't predict. You're very sick on Election Day.

You're in a car wreck on the way to the polling booth. Or your car breaks down.

You forget which day the Primary was (you've not said if they're required to vote in Primaries as well.)

Any number of happenings, no fault of one's own, could prevent one from voting.

If they don't vote, they get charged. If you get charged for an ID that is required to vote, that is against the 24th Amendment.

I really can't say anything else more clearly.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join