It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May to end EU citizens rights

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
I support things being left just as they are regarding the rules for immigration.

I do see what you are saying. However, keeping the rules as they are would still have resulted in the woman referenced in the OP being deported.

People need to follow due process to gain e.g. "indefinite leave to remain" and it's taking the piss out of the system if people think they can get away with three decades of "visitor permissions". This woman must have known and should have worked it out if not.

Personally, I am not fussed about EU immigration, or the immigration of professionals who want to live within the British culture and values. You can work the rest out. I also think that people should follow the rules and the "spirit" of the rules, and we need to be harsher to those who seek to break the system e.g. on asylum, sham marriages and other cultural practices that are an affront to our values, like forced marriage and female genital mutilation.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Agreed, stupid cow had decades to apply for residency but the Citizen Smith types on ATS just rant without actually understanding the process.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Of course I have.

The reason I support free movement of people for EU nationals, as opposed to free movement for those from the rest of the world, is that EU nationals by and large, already exist in a base state of familiarity with laws and customs analogous to our own. Those coming from elsewhere in the world, are not as reliably or automatically familiar with our laws and customs, and so it is necessary to ensure that these customs and laws, freedoms and liberties, are understood, and supported by those who are arriving from elsewhere with the intention of living here as residents.

Simply speaking, it is easier for a person from the EU, or one of our (UK) Commonwealth nations to assimilate the cultural and societal structure we have, into their thinking, than it is for residents of many other nations, some of which are run by theocracies, dictatorships and other systems of government, which do not respect or promote individual rights, freedoms and liberties as we understand them.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

So basically you support discrimination in immigration rules where cultural differences occur.
You only want free movement for EU and Commonwealth countries.
Bit racist isn't it...showing your true colours or something?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Not really.

I do not want people to come here, and be upset or frightened, or feel damaged by our way of life. I want people who come here, to be more comfortable with everything we do here, than they were with whatever they were doing at home. I want people who come here to do so because they want to live in a country which has our liberties, freedoms and laws, because they consider them preferable to the laws, customs and structure of society that they left behind.

I have absolutely no problem with people who come here from abroad, I want this country to be one in which people from all over the world feel comfortable enough to practice their faith, to start businesses, to be citizens, feel happy, free, content with their lot. But that depends rather more on the people than it does our society. There are, do not get me wrong, some things about our society (more particularly, our government) that need to change immediately, precisely because they do not echo the noble and decent intent of the best of our citizens, rather the opposite, and that change is work that needs to be done. But as I was saying, people wanting to come here to live need to be aware that it is upon them to want to live with us, to prefer that to living where they were before, to be eager to join us because they see the benefit of it, rather than come here and bitterly complain that our nation is not the one they left.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Nope, you can gloss it up as much as you like but if you only wish free movement for people from the EU and the Commonwealth then your position is discriminatory and frankly racist.

The current system discriminates against anyone outside of the EU, you support the current system.
And discriminating down to cultural differences now as well, I don't think you've really thought this through at all.
Your arguments of thinking about the poor people who may struggle to assimilate is utterly ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
And now it appears the House of Lords disagree with the House of Commons, and the U.K must protect the right's of E.U citizens.

Interesting, very interesting.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 1/3/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I actually support the House of Lords ammendment.
It would be a relief for my settled EU mates and we can all move on when the cutoff date is announced.
Still gotta see how May reacts, I'm hoping Tory back benchers agree with the House of Lords and force her hand. It will force the EU's hand to offer similar protection for Brits or look like a bunch of #s.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Yes, I agree, but the way the E.U Commission has been sniping, I wouldn't be surprised if they do not reciprocate and protect the right's of U.K citizens living in the E.U.

Of course I sincerely hope I am wrong.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I think the image the EU would present to the world in that scenario would be politically untenable.
Even the maddest of EU commissioners wouldn't wanna look like a complete #.

I want the ammendment and hope backbench Tory MP's feel the same.
It will force the EU's hand or be a PR disaster for the supposedly ethical organisation lol

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Settled EU nationals should have protection of right to remain because they are, well, settled.

The end of discrimination against the rest of the world will be a victory for morality in my opinion.
The racists on ATS who would advocate different rules on immigration for cultures outside of the EU or Commonwealth must be rocking in their chairs with crazed eyes lol

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Within days a step is to be taken to remove the right of EU citizens to remain permanently in the UK. I for one agree with this.

Ah yes. Prison Island was a quite good film.
edit on 11/3/2017 by moniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
What's going to happen to the 2-3 million Britains living in Europe?

Do you agree with them having their rights removed and them being possibly sent home?
I'm one of them who spends 9 months a year in another EU country. I agree with what TM is doing.

Hi Nigel!

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Brexit will happen, but the world won't end.

Right. The world will move on, and the UK will be left behind, scratching its head and wondering what the f* just happened.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Plotus

No one who deserves to be breathing, voted out because they are afraid of or concerned about Muslims.

The only legitimate out votes, were those done on the basis that our membership was illegal anyway, and that the EU is a massive corporate infiltrated mess, which supported the corporate infiltrated mess that is our own government. Once we are out, I am hoping that the people will go to war with corruption, that cut off from EU support, our government will be defenceless when the people come to take the power away from the disgusting cretins in parliament, in order to put it where it belongs. In the hands of the many, rather than the few.

Although I agree with your sentiment, I would argue that the UK is no different. For example, all the large public sector contracts in the UK are awarded to a small number of very large (usually foreign-based) consultancies who have the resources to pre-smooch buyers. The UK doesn't implement more than a handful of the public sector anti-corruption measures that other EU member states have in place.

Instead of blaming the EU for everything, perhaps we should put our own house in order first. Then we can begin blaming, if there is anything left to blame. Although blaming has never never been a forward-looking strategy anyway.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I believe in leaving the EU. I do not believe in a change in border access for people coming in. I never cared a bit about immigration, save that I wish we took more refugees from wars we paid for. My disagreement with the methodology is that there are already stacking up, examples of people who have been married to British citizens for thirty odd years, having their residency questioned because they have been abroad looking after a relative.

If there is no compassion or mercy in the system, then I would stand against it every time.

Personally, I believe it is not immigration that needed controlling. Its the government and Whitehall which need controlling. Its the companies our government employs privately, which rip off our taxpayer base every chance they get. Its the security companies owned by husbands of Parliamentarians, which need controlling, or preferably liquidating, on grounds that their profiteering and outright frauds over the years would represent a treason, if treason was properly defined for the modern age (i.e. Crimes against the people entire, rather than any one individual in the country).

What I also believe, is that far more important than dealing with the topic of immigration, is a full and frank look at the legal changes to regular citizens that will result from our exit of the EU, with regard to employment law, housing, finance, and so on. What I believe is a matter of far greater urgency, is to get a copy paste job done in legal terms, to ensure that no rights be lost by this event in world history. Leaving our people in a more powerful position or at least as powerful when compared to the government, is what I am talking about.

Only once that has been completed, should any thought to be given to the relatively irrelevant topic of who is here, where they are from, and all that nonsense that only Britain First or Nutall of the Kip give a damn about.

Just face it - the Brexit referendum outcome has been hijacked. The "will of the people" doesn't matter anymore. It is all about the will of the elite.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
The larger part of immigrants going to the UK are not even eu citizens.

There's been no mention of how that will be dealt with showing this is all a farce trying to appease the anti immigrant crowd.

Many of the non-EU citizens already in the UK are Commonwealth citizens. And because of that they got to vote. Those I know all voted to Leave, under the assumption that it would free up more "slots" for people from their own countries - Jamaica, Bandladesh, Rwanda, Cameroon, Nigeria etc - to come to the UK whether qualified or not. Even the Commonwealth pastor in my African church in London voted to Leave for that very reason. It is all wrong.
edit on 11/3/2017 by moniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Its a democracy, reply to: moniker

Settled EU friends of mine who had the vote chose leave.
Look at the wider issues.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: moniker
Right. The world will move on, and the UK will be left behind, scratching its head and wondering what the f* just happened.

Indeed. The rest of the world seems to rolling into their own buckets of autocracy. The EU is undemocratic and seems that the wider citizenry will not have any say over the erosion of the primacy of the member states. The US is going to pot. Russia is getting more like a dictatorship by the day and China is already there. Seems to me that the UK is probably in a better placed to roll in a different direction.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Agreed, I remain optimistic and ignore the doom mongers.
Funny how those who cry doom often state it as fact...I wonder how the # they 'know' this, but then remind myself that they don't at all, they are merely projecting their fears as knowledge of the future.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join