It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Style ATS, Proof & Sources

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well, speaking for myself, I'm getting pretty sick of seeing all these rant threads lamenting the days of old on ATS!

They've gotten almost as bad/frequent as the political threads!

"I remember when...(insert some days-of-old ATS theme). Why can't we go back to the good ol' days???"

Maybe we should go back to MSDOS and dial-up chat BBS boards too.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Its not just a lament of the old days, its a gripe at the style of posting and responding. I understand fully that all things change that's fine, but when the change means that nothing is a good enough source and nothing is good enough proof, then threads kind of become pointless
Its also a moan at the laziness of both posters and those that reply

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

You place a disclaimer on it.. almost every "source" with todays methods of editing and digital manipulation.. ...nothing or no one, is 100% acceptable.

Everything can be effectively faked, modified and manipulated. Just high tech advancements in tech male every source questionably deceiving.. ..
edit on 27-2-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I'm mostly with you here, with a couple of comments:

Videos - while "can't watch at the moment" is the typical excuse, and may be true, its more of a polite way of saying, "If you want us to watch this, at least tell us why and give us a summary." Most YouTube videos take at least 10 times as long to get their point across as a written synopsis takes to read.

Proof - it depends on the claim. If it's far-fetched and not easily verifiable, provide strong sources. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Rotten isn't it? Separating the chafe from the wheat the good from the bad and the fake from the real is almost impossible

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It's totally frustrating when nobody can prove the existence of beings from other planets.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Do you not think that's just exactly that....an excuse? As in "I can't be bothered watching that so tell us about it instead?" Most videos I've ever posted I think are short and concise as I've discovered many people seem to suffer from an attention span defecit

However those that post the longer videos I'm sure believe they are very pertinent to the post and in a lot of cases the video itself does need watching for context emotion body language etc

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Welcome to the age of the millennial.

This generation of young adults has little to no work ethic. They expect to be spoon-fed everything. If they disagree they have a right to their opinion and don't need proof. They assume they have a right to be snowflakes, without being called snowflakes.

They would happily follow the Pide Piper into slavery if the Piper had an ounce of Charisma and promised them everything will be ok.

edit on 27-2-2017 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Hahaha quite!
On a side note a couple of years ago, my brother was in a coffee bar happily sipping his latte and reading. The waitress came up to him and asked if he wanted anything else, and he said no...she then asked "Why are you reading?" note: not what are you reading but why....he said "Erm because I enjoy it?" She replied "What's to enjoy? Why not just wait for the film or series to come out?" and walked off

I asked someone where the library was in a town I was unfamiliar with...the teen said "Why?" I said "I want some books " he said "oh you mean a bookshop"....

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye
Back when I started communicating on the internet, way back, "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Leisure Suit Larry" days; you connected with the whopping speed of a 300 baud modem. You paid for packets transmitted over your telephone lines, and almost everyone was who they said they were.

As the number of people that surfed the WWW increased, the cracks started to show.

There was a time when an odd idea was met with excitement, and was an opportunity to work together to prove it viable, or to agree that it was dead in the water.

Now only proven ideas, or those with the same thoughts are acceptable. The rest are immediately rejected and become targets.

edit on 27-2-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Got links?

After all that the least you could do is source your claims.

edit on 27-2-2017 by Mikehawk because: edited twice just to be nice!

And I didn't watch the video or read past the title.
edit on 27-2-2017 by Mikehawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

You have a point about laziness. But the fake news stuff is just a fad. Sure the MSM lies to push their narrative. But as we did in the past, we will do in the future. Poor sources will be proven wrong with better sources and FACTS. So other than the obvious sources, (WND, or Secure Team, ect) it's up to the readers here to vet the sources. And if you have a vested interest in the topic and you disagree with the source, dig deep and find something real and factual to base your argument on. If you can't find one........you might be wrong.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Source?

(I'm sure someone else already went there, just can't help myself!)

Personally, everytime the same people ask for sources, I think of zombies groaning and moaning for "brraaaiiinnssss." Its like some are incapable of doing little more than regurgitating and consuming "sources."

Now, sometimes a source for further reading is a great thing to have, but I see that as different. The presence or lack of a source isn't being used as some litmus test for legitimacy.

Sometimes peoples own thoughts and words actually have value and I think the loss of that concept is detrimental. Sometimes it seems like the internet exists solely to confirm bias, and you can pretty confirm any bias imaginable.

I think, hope, that we will eventually mature out of it. Even better would be more realizing that we are all manipulated by it. Far too many act as if they are somehow above it, even if they say otherwise. I think that is a natural result from what we say becoming more important than what we do. Which itself may be a result of our technology, since so many of our interactions are based solely in words.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Do you have any proof to back your assumptions?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I agree, 100%

ATS isn't the same, at all and that's why I barely visit anymore.

Sad, bc it used to be awesome but there are too many trolls that just muck up threads they don't agree on. That and the extra attention the anti-Trump threads appear to get it's all just tiring.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikehawk

bah humbug!

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I've noticed that for every story in the news, there will be at least 3 different versions. Some not so different others vastly different whether this is shoddy reporting or biased reporting I don't know. I do know that if I post a source that's pro something there will be many sources that are anti the same thing. Thanks to the internet, whatever you "prove" someone else can "disprove" and its very very difficult to know what or which statements are true anymore

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

My diary...wanna see?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
a reply to: rickymouse

My diary...wanna see?

Good enough for me, everything written in a diary is real evidence. I know it is real, I got my butt spanked when I was young for reading my sister's diary. I guess I have diaryphobia now.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Exactly right.

I'm a conspiracier (fancy, eh?) so I suspect that the variety is entirely intentional for the very reasons you state:

It makes it impossible to determine what really happened and it allows a "something for everyone" approach. Those two factors, combined with the near universal "need to know" creates a really rough situation.

Yet, it seems like we demand sources more adamantly than ever?

Its almost like people would rather communicate by proxy of links instead of directly. And anyone attempting to discuss their own ideas and thoughts without any links or sources are looked at as an oddity.

Its bonkers, IMO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join