It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slain SEAL’s dad wants answers: ‘Don’t hide behind my son’s death’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The mission was not shelved. When it would occur was. Now, is this about the father or Trump?

The father, to be honest, should be upset. He is grieving. However, your son was a SEAL on Team Six. He knew the role. He knew the danger. Those men do. I am not saying they are less but that they are more. A Army NG driver who is killed by a roadside IED is a tragedy because they are there but take the risk. They do not live the risk to the extent as the one who chooses to put himself in harms way. They are incredible with what they do the selflessness. The heroism.

Soldiers can be lost on any mission. At any time. SEAL Team 6 was dealt a blow after OBL was killed. They were almost all killed. I believe the same thing happened then that did now. A leak.

It is neither administrations fault. It is the fault of the intelligence community for allowing it to happen. If they hear Trumps phone calls they can hear any leak. Who is the actual traitor?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

“Usually, a President goes down to the Situation Room and is presented with what they call a full package for the attack.

There’s a legal assessment of the legal authorities under which they’re doing these,” David Sanger, chief Washington correspondent of The New York Times, told PBS.

“There’s a risk assessment to the commandos who would be doing it.

There is a risk assessment of what could happen to civilians who are in the area.”

He added: “It looks like President Trump got briefed on it, by and large, at a dinner, not in the Situation Room, not with legal advisers around.”

LINK

US military officials: Trump-ordered raid in Yemen that killed US Navy SEAL was approved 'without sufficient intelligence'
LINK

Former NSA Advisor, Susan Rice: Bannon on National Security Council is “stone cold crazy”
LINK

US Special Ops chief: US government 'in unbelievable turmoil'
LINK

Former Joint Chiefs Chairman, Admiral Mike Mullin: Trump needs to kick Steve Bannon out of the National Security Council
LINK

Campaign Advisors (POLTICAL OPERATIVES...NOT Military, Intelligence or security experts...but campaign operatives) are weighing in on Spec Ops Missions, giving "go" without the rest of the National Security Counsel...while they eat dinner..

It is GROSS AND WILLFUL NEGLIGENCE and POLTICIZING MILITARY OPS WHERE AMERICAN SOLDIERS CAN AND NOW HAVE DIED...

ACOUNTABILITY...It should be non-partisan...More so when American Soldiers lives are at risk.
edit on 27-2-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

It is neither administrations fault. It is the fault of the intelligence community for allowing it to happen.

Bull#...

Commander and Chief!

He says "go" and he is responsible for every life lost.

So it was with Pres. Obama...So it is with Pres. Trump.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: IchBinSparta
a reply to: Indigo5

Half a million Americans were killed in WW2. Their lives are on Roosevelt by your logic.

Closer to 400k...and yes they were ultimately under his command. That responsibility comes with the job.

In this specific scenario though, President Trump was directly tasked with giving the "Go" on the specific special operations mission that cost Ryan Owens his life.

AND while Trump might have given a nod while stuffing his face at dinner after his CAMPAIGN MANAGER Bannon said "go"...and no one felt it necessary to get the counsel of the NSC as is standard?...

Know how Obama felt about his Special Operators?...

This kid who died under Trump's watch?

Ryan served under three U.S. presidents, and met former President Barack Obama, his father said. At his home on Friday, Bill Owens pulled out piles of photographs:

...There’s one of Ryan sitting on the floor in the White House playing with Obama’s dogs.

www.miamiherald.com...

President Obama personally knew Ryan Owens. Had him to the Oval Office...

President Trump simply gambled with his life while eating dinner...

President Obama MADE A POINT to meet Spec ops personally...So that he would think about them in human terms when he gave a "go" order.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

It is not what it was with Obama. They stonewalled the investigation into the Team Six shoot down. What is there to hide? Made a point...f him...

www.washingtontimes.com...

Trump has said that it was a successful mission. It was. In many missions there is loss of like but it is not like he did not acknowledge it. Mr Owens father would not speak to Trump but Owens wife did. This is a political hit piece using a grieving father and a soldier. Sickening.

edit on 02pm28pmf0000002017-02-27T16:52:52-06:000452 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Trump put too much faith in Obama and his team, a big mistake by Trump. Anything Obama had a hand in, Trump should cancel immediately and start from scratch. He did it with TPP, the military should be no different, especially with all the leaks coming from Obama holdovers and never-Trumpers, most likely the targets were tipped off to what was coming.
edit on 27-2-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
He wants answers but refuses to meet with Trump? Nuff said. He is doing it for a political view. He should be ashamed of himself.
I joined the military knowing full well if the SHTF it might be the end. The father was in the military, he should know this. A political stunt and he is using his military son's death to do it. No sympathies for the father. RIP for his son.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Grimpachi

I guess my point is, who briefed them? And if Trump knew it was a bad idea, I'll question his actions. Trust me, I want change from what we've had over the past 8 years and if Trump can't bring it then I want to pick someone else. But I'm not gonna blindly blame everything on him and call him a racist and so forth... I have a hard time believing all these sources were present at the briefings.

It is a little too late to pick someone else.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Since those like you like to spew crap without even knowing the details I will post this from the article in the OP.

It had been little more than 24 hours since six officers in dress uniform knocked on the door to Owens’ home in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. It was not yet daylight when he answered the door, already knowing in the pit of his stomach what they had come to tell him.

Now, Owens cringed at the thought of having to shake the hand of the president who approved the raid in Yemen that claimed his son’s life — an operation that he and others are now calling into question.

“I told them I didn’t want to make a scene about it, but my conscience wouldn’t let me talk to him,” Owens said Friday, speaking out for the first time in an interview with the Miami Herald.

Owens, also a military veteran, was troubled by Trump’s harsh treatment of a Gold Star family during his presidential campaign. Now Owens was a Gold Star parent, and he said he had deep reservations about the way the decision was made to launch what would be his son’s last mission.

There is a time and place to have a conversation on what happened and that time IS NOT right after finding out your son is dead.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I went to the same HS and grew up in the same town as Ryan. He was graduating just as I was coming in, but small town you know everyone. His parents are livid, and rightfully so. I wouldn't meet with Trump either. President or not, who wants to meet with the person that sent their child to an early grave?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Owens, also a military veteran, was troubled by Trump’s harsh treatment of a Gold Star family during his presidential campaign.

Exactly that right there. I wonder if he cared how Hillary lied to the parents of the Benghazi people? Sometimes this is what happens when you join the military. Since he has served he should understand this better than most.

Since those like you like to spew crap without even knowing the details I will post this from the article in the OP.

I did read it. I stand by my comment. The father used this to make a political state when he brought up the gold star family. So next time you want to "spew crap" about what I say, make sure you are right.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

My time in the service I met a quite a few that lacked common sense or empathy as well as those who simply spewed crap constantly. It is rare to interact with a vet that qualifies all three.

There is no need for you to tell me what might happen or could happen to those who join the military. I lived it.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

He wants answers but refuses to meet with Trump? Nuff said. He is doing it for a political view. He should be ashamed of himself.

Who the hell are you to tell a father who lost his son how he should handle it? What he should feel?

This is just a much conjecture on your part as is that of the Captain Hindsight armchair strategists and equally disrespectful.

This is why I can't stand the political religion in this country. Heads of state are the Popes of the political churches of this nation.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Why would you sign up to kill people in other countries?

Just because they are Islamic doesn't make them anymore evil than Mormons in the US saying that it was okay for their founder Joseph Smith to threaten his 14 year old bride that God would destroy her if she left him or the cult. She did both, left him and the cult and was not destroyed by God.

This country armed Islamic terrorists called the Mujahadeen.

Further, the Bible says that people are not judged according to the Christian law, they are judged according to the law WHICH THEY HAVE. Which is Islam, in their lands. They are allowed to live peacefully. The only reason we are over there is Bin Laden, and he attacked us because the US starved hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children with sanctions.

The Bible says that those who live by the sword will die by it. So, anything other than self defense is simply unbiblical.
The military when it continues to attack provides the recruiting tools that the Muslims need.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Your post just illustrates exactly what I'm trying to say. At the same time you completely miss what I was trying to say

'The people' at large - understand more than you are willing to admit. But that has nothing to do with this. However well things are planned by actual military personnel, the truth remains that bad decisions are made - for political reasons

It's as if you want for people to silently stand by while our military is used to score points with the public - just because they're civilians and they don't understand. Lives are lost as part of a national marketing campaign - and you take offense at them being called victims

The give their lives for this country - doing what they were trained to do. Nobody can take anything away from them for this

They are still often victims of the whims and egos of our politicians, along with their callous disregard for the true costs of war. I imagine plenty of people had a problem with some of Obama's decisions - but I have to wonder if he didn't put a whole lot more thought into it than Trump just did

So, I'm not supposed to care because I'm not in the military?

I'm supposed to on the one hand support my troops as a kind of silent idiot. I'm should mindlessly cheer on my government and their rash decisions because I don't understand

When people die we're told we're too ignorant to understand what these people signed up to do - we shouldn't ever question?

And people say folks on the left are elitist and arrogant

edit on 2/28/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

All you have here is political conjecture. That's all anyone has and while it makes a fantastic weapon to beat your political opponents with, it is hardly a valid argument or observation.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

All you have here is political conjecture. That's all anyone has and while it makes a fantastic weapon to beat your political opponents with, it is hardly a valid argument or observation.

Validity? You just invalidated your own position

I'm not arguing with you over political conjecture. We're arguing because you just said many of us are too stupid to have a position

It's a little naive of you to assume that we don't actually care about what just happened because we only need a political stick to use on Trump

Many of us were bashing Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush and Obama before Trump ever even showed up

edit on 2/28/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
He's looking for information he'll never get. SOCOM mission parameters are very tightly held. The actual reasons, what you'd probably call the 'why are we doing this' of any job is not always known *accurately* by the NCOs on the thing. You'd get the 'what are we expected to accomplish' and 'what do we have to do/get/see/record/kill/break/teach to call this a success', occasionally the 'if you don't then this might happen' but getting an accurate read on 'what is the point of this' in the bigger picture might not be available even to the command personnel on the job.

You don't need to know. You need to know what you are expected to do to conclude the job properly. You need to know a sort of level of importance so you can gauge when or if you can say '# it' and abort. You need to know how far you're going to be allowed to go to get the job done. Past that, you might get a story but you don't know if it's correct.

Civilians are never going to find this sort of thing out. Never. As they used to say, if a regular unit could do it, we wouldn't send YOU. And while I don't know about SEALs, I assume it might be like Army, your jobs are sort of a hodge-podge of origination, a LOT of SF jobs are CIA 'suggested'. So the 'why' of any job is going to be tightly held. Hell, they've burned whole print runs of books for people putting in low level tactical details of ODA field dynamics.

"Why did my son get sent on this mission" as a big picture question is one he'll never get an answer to. At least he knew that much, the joke used to be it was a training accident.

Or so I've heard.
edit on 28-2-2017 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I believe this man was "blaming Trump" for a rushed meaningless grandstanding poorly planned military operation that needlessly killed his son.

What has happened to basic dignity in regard to our fallen soldiers?

As I understand it the only Reason Obama did not do this mission was because it could not be done until after he left office.

That means the plan was mature before Trump even took office. How is that rushed?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join