It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slain SEAL’s dad wants answers: ‘Don’t hide behind my son’s death’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Where did you read this at? I've never known of the Pentagon or anyone in government to tell the public whether or not information was sufficient or insufficient.
edit on 27-2-2017 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Different articles that said pretty much the same thing. The Guardian, Independent, NPR, press herald, theamericanconservative, as well NYT and many others. APR had links to dozens of articles.

Or just type in Botched Raid in any browser.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
a reply to: Indigo5

It was planned for years by the Obama administration. Blame Obama for this death.

It was REJECTED under the Obama Administration...and for good reason.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

It was planned for years by the Obama administration. Blame Obama for this death.

source

Obama admin did not reject the mission. They planned on doing it on a moonless night and no moonless night occurred while Obama was still in office. It occurred on Trumps watch.

It was planned by the Obama administration and was never rejected by them as you claim.
edit on 27-2-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

source

Obama admin did not cancel the mission. They planned on doing it on a moonless night and no moonless night occurred while Obama was still in office. It occurred on Trumps watch.

Incorrect..

Colin Kahl, who was a security official in the Obama White House, called Spicer’s story “B.S.”
“I was there. … No specific raid was discussed. … The ‘moonless night’ thing is B.S.,” he told the Wall Street Journal, adding that the White House never signed off on that specific mission.

www.theblaze.com...

U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.

As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger than expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

So why did the un named military sources not tell the commander in chief that the operation did not have sufficient intelligence, ground support, or adequate backup preparations?
That is their job. Do you think the potus plans these things?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

source

Obama admin did not reject the mission. They planned on doing it on a moonless night and no moonless night occurred while Obama was still in office. It occurred on Trumps watch.

It was planned by the Obama administration and was never rejected by them as you claim.

That's what I heard too.

The New York Times reported that Obama's national security aides had approved the plans for the risky attack and that Obama had not acted because the military wanted to launch that attack on a moonless night. The next such night would have been after his term.

edit on 27/2/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

source

Obama admin did not cancel the mission. They planned on doing it on a moonless night and no moonless night occurred while Obama was still in office. It occurred on Trumps watch.

Incorrect..

Colin Kahl, who was a security official in the Obama White House, called Spicer’s story “B.S.”
“I was there. … No specific raid was discussed. … The ‘moonless night’ thing is B.S.,” he told the Wall Street Journal, adding that the White House never signed off on that specific mission.

www.theblaze.com...

U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.

As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger than expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists.

www.reuters.com...

I see, so it's now time to NOT believe 'sources' in the liberal media, we must believe one of Obama's buddies instead. My, how the rules change depending on who is being attacked.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

So why did the un named military sources not tell the commander in chief that the operation did not have sufficient intelligence, ground support, or adequate backup preparations?
That is their job. Do you think the potus plans these things?

Sounds like Obama was derelict in his handover.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Trump got to make the call. But it is fun to blame the previous guy.

Isn't he smarter and more knowledgable then the military leadership, per himself. He would have evaluated the details and made the decision based on best possible reasoning.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

And these things are always based on good intel which they did not have. I also went on quite a few missions myself while in the military and none of the leaders I knew would have given this mission a go just because of the sketchy intel.

Conjecture.

Unfortunately for all of us we don't actually know what kind of intel we had, we have no idea why it all went to hell. We do know the mission, while not entirely successful, was not all a wash either.

That said, # went wrong. People who didn't need to die, died.

When Arrowsmith 35 was blown out of the sky it was because we didn't have the intel on the IED that took them out. Even though the day before I was on the mission that scoped out the area and identified the target. AS35 went out to destroy it after I tagged it.

There is no possible way to plan for all contingencies or to have ALL the information possible. On that day we lost a whole crew, 2 EW members, and only 1 survivor. That wreck and the faces of my fellow soldiers will always be burned into my mind. I always think "what if I had seen the emplaced IED". But conjecture and what ifs don't bring back the dead.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I guess my point is, who briefed them? And if Trump knew it was a bad idea, I'll question his actions. Trust me, I want change from what we've had over the past 8 years and if Trump can't bring it then I want to pick someone else. But I'm not gonna blindly blame everything on him and call him a racist and so forth... I have a hard time believing all these sources were present at the briefings.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

So which one are we supposed to believe?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Trump got to make the call. But it is fun to blame the previous guy.

Isn't he smarter and more knowledgable then the military leadership, per himself. He would have evaluated the details and made the decision based on best possible reasoning.

Obviously, we had to deal with that for 8 solid years. Now it's our turn to blame the last guy. Is that not cool anymore or something? Did the trend die with the power and control of the left?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Sean Spicer/Trump was the one who claimed the Obama Administration had approved the mission before Trump took Office.

One of Pres. Obama's Senior Security Advisors in the WH said that was complete BS and the Yemen Raid was not approved and kicked back down for further intelligence gathering etc.

You believe who you like...but one of those two sources has lied repeatedly the past 4 weeks and had to walkback some kind of BS at least once a week when confronted.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Too many sources are conflicting. We're not even supposed to know about secret missions. Why are they talking about this crap. If the president knew he had insufficient intelligence then he shouldn't have made that call but it's not like he didn't have a room full of mouths telling him everything was a go.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Obviously, we had to deal with that for 8 solid years. Now it's our turn to blame the last guy. Is that not cool anymore or something? Did the trend die with the power and control of the left?

Really? All I have heard for 4 to 6 years is everything was Obama's fault. The Obama haters wouldn't even admit Bush adminstration setup much of the problems.

It's all on Trump now. He claimed he's the greatest and would quickly fix darn near everything.

Not saying Trump won't make big, possitive changes but I wait to see it before giving him credit.

It seems society has become that 95% of people blame others for problems they create. (OK, maybe only 94%)

edit on 2/27/2017 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Sean Spicer/Trump was the one who claimed the Obama Administration had approved the mission before Trump took Office.

One of Pres. Obama's Senior Security Advisors in the WH said that was complete BS and the Yemen Raid was not approved and kicked back down for further intelligence gathering etc.

You believe who you like...but one of those two sources has lied repeatedly the past 4 weeks and had to walkback some kind of BS at least once a week when confronted.

Trump says that the mission was a spill over from the last administration - you don't believe him.
One of Obama's buddies says it was little to do with Obama - you believe him.
'sources' in the NYT say Obama was on board and just waiting for the right night - you don't believe them.
'sources' say the intel was bad - you believe them.

You're right - it does depend on who and what you WANT to believe.

Sounds to me like they are all lying to an extent and as usual, incompetence reigns supreme when it comes to US intelligence and military leaders.

edit on 27/2/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

If the president knew he had insufficient intelligence then he shouldn't have made that call but it's not like he didn't have a room full of mouths telling him everything was a go.

Trump has said he wants to "accelerate" the pace of attacks on ISIS.

This was his first mission approval under that model.

It was NOT approved in a Joint Chiefs meeting (like every President before him)
It was approved over dinner without all the Joint Chiefs present, asking questions, discussing back-up plans and contingencies, questioning the amount and veracity of intelligence.

It was approved while Trump ate dinner...and with Steve Bannon and Jared Kushner heavily weighing in.
This too was unusual as everyone was shocked when they got appointed to the National Security Counsel....as they are not intelligence, security or military experts, but rather campaign/political strategists...aka..will this "sell well" to the public vs. is this an appropriate risk to take with American Soldiers lives and does it serve the national interest.

Those are the facts of how this was approved.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
DP
edit on 27-2-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join