It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling sick is NOT a "detoxification" symptom!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
(((( Oh, edit - It is and can be a symptom of withdrawal and what not - This is in relation to current health trends and naturally healing where people think that toxic plants are actually just doing you a favor. ))))

My wife's mother, and one of my cousins.. sometimes makes me just a bit ... Frustrated. They're into natural healing, and believe all of the latest gimmicks.

Your alkalized, ionized, hexagonal water is going to make you feel fantastic.

Herbal teas and herbal blends that are possibly hepatotoxic, cause kidney problems, palpitations, etc? That's just a symptom of detoxing!

Now, don't get me wrong - I like me some natural supplements. I take my fish oil daily, I believe some herbs are healing - Plants like garlic are indisputably curative in some situations. I'm even willing to use tea-tree oil on my cold sores because it does seem to reduce healing time, and make things go away quicker...I even believe our diets should be more alkaline!

But to act like your water needs to be "spun in a vortex" to make it "hexagonal water" is just a sales gimmick and snake oil is snake oil. If it makes you feel like crap, and that's all it does - It's probably not worth the container it was shipped in.

Please stop spreading this misinformation if you are into health!

There's a difference of things like withdrawal from addictive substances (Which you do get some symptoms even if you cut sugar out of your diet for a bit ) and just putting garbage into your body in the first place, calling it a cure for something.

Your "DoTerra" and "Cell food" are not fooling me today, nope nope nope.

-Just a rant.

Deadlyhope

edit on 26-2-2017 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
If youre cleaning out toxic stuff stored in places like the liver it is. Im not saying all those cleanse things actually cleanse but when you hit on something that does, all that toxic crap goes into your bloodstream before exiting the body. And it will make you feel lightly nauseous.

E.g. nascent iodine actually does work to ckean out the thyroid (from experience). And you will feel that way for a few days and after that when you take the iodine supplement you dont feel ill because the toxic waste products have already been displaced.

Our bodies have many systems specifically designed to remove toxins we take in from our environment. Thats actual science.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

When I want to feel really good, I eat lots of vegetables, go for long walks and the like. If I wanted to feel like I was cleaned out id just eat a can of prunes.

I'm not saying detoxing is not possible, or that in some cases you'll have some symptoms - just that the health trend of taking shady herbs and "natural" medicine, and feeling like crap after is most of the time just that.

Dr oz is not your friend. He cherry picks studies done on mice, acts as if the same effects happen in humans, and sells you something.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
If you're a heavy cannabis user who is also sedentary, you can fail a drug test years after you quit smoking if you begin exercising heavily... why? Cannabinoids are stored in fat and so are plenty of other substances which are fat soluble. Going on any cleanse, particularly those involving low caloric intake, certainly can release numerous toxins back into the bloodstream. This can make you sick... or high ;-)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

But to act like your water needs to be "spun in a vortex" to make it "hexagonal water" is just a sales gimmick and snake oil is snake oil. If it makes you feel like crap, and that's all it does - It's probably not worth the container it was shipped in.

What about the Tibean five rites or the Twirling Dervishes? They believe in spinning to create Vortexes that are in alignment with the human body, to reverse aging. Are you saying they're wrong?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: pirhanna

When I want to feel really good, I eat lots of vegetables, go for long walks and the like. If I wanted to feel like I was cleaned out id just eat a can of prunes.

I'm not saying detoxing is not possible, or that in some cases you'll have some symptoms - just that the health trend of taking shady herbs and "natural" medicine, and feeling like crap after is most of the time just that.

Dr oz is not your friend. He cherry picks studies done on mice, acts as if the same effects happen in humans, and sells you something.

LOL im just talking from experience. Im not an adherent to any new age whoo stuff. I have chronic health problems, and that can prompt one to give just about anything a go just to see. Mostly that stuff doesnt do anything much but there are a couple things that do. And science will tell you all about how your body cleans toxic materials that are brought into the body (alcohol is an easy example). Thats not whoo its hard science fact.

Ill send you some prunes, whats your address? Haha jk

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'm sorry... but as a Master licensed nutritionist I can say that the human body is pretty amazing. It detoxes itself, all by itself, without the aid of any supplement or pill or tea or magic! Every time you sleep, every time you sweat, every time you use the rest room your body releases toxins that build up during the day from our air, the light, the general environment and yeah from what we eat and drink. Everything a human body needs to thrive and survive can be found in nature through whole foods.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: luckskywatcher

I'm saying until there is proof, I'm not buying it.

The thing I know for sure is that I don't know everything about this world and this human experience.

The thing I do know - and you can look it up - is that natural health trends can be dangerous at times, and as the nutritionist above said, our body takes care of itself as far as cleaning goes.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

Thank you!

Nice to know that someone licensed actually agrees with my little rant :p

Really though, I just feel it's dangerous for people to shove all types of herbs and supplements into themselves in the name of a cleanse. We have organs that are working on that all the time.

Do you believe that diet can heal nearly all ailments? I do.
I just don't think Dr oz master cleanse or whatever is out there and a trend is the way to do it.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I think Dr. Oz has a lot of knowledge but is more interested in his ratings and his paycheck than he is with the actual science behind health and wellness.

Many of my clients look to products like Shake-ology, Isometrics, Slim Fast, Juice Plus and other diet supplements for weight loss and optimum nutrition. The first thing I tell them is as an MLN I don't fully advocate or support any product that doesn't have any legitimate scientific proof or independent 3rd party testers backing the claims that are made.

Another thing I tell them is "If you really believe it works, than it will". The mind is very powerful and placebo's are known to work in the short-term. As long as there are no underlying medical conditions that's fine.

Last, you simply have to think about which entities are promoting these products. It doesn't matter if it's a detox, a weight loss pill, an energy or fat burning pill, a sports drink or an herbal supplement. If it is being produced and/or sold by a profitable business and especially if the business has a MLM system, I call it bull#.

Yes. I whole heartedly believe that food is medicine and can be used to not only prevent and treat illness, but can ultimately cure illness. Not nearly every illness, all illness.

You have to remember that our medical system is tied closely with our government and pharmacology organizations. They don't look for root causes or cures, they simply treat the symptoms.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The only thing I've ever tried that - anecdotally, for me - works in terms of actual health benefits as far as supplements and so forth go (other than unseen effects I can't detect or feel of course,) is N-acetylcystine.

It took me from being sick for months on end, to getting well in weeks every time I catch a cold or flu (which is still longer than typical, but I have a lot of underlying health issues that impact how long and how severely I get sick, such as respiratory issues... which is probably why NAC has such a dramatic effect for me, given its mucolytic properties once metabolized into glutathione.)

There's also research to back that up. Wound healing, serum glutathione, resistance to infection, etc. all seem - at least tentatively - to increase with even modest oral NAC doses, especially over time, according to peer reviewed research.

Everything else... I can't say it never helps anyone, but it's never helped me personally. (Even garlic, though I'm aware of the studies on alicin and other compounds and what they do, just hasn't ever benefitted me. Probably due to my chronic health issues and constant oxidative stress... which might, in theory, also explain why a powerful antioxidant amino acid like NAC actually helps me.)

As for feeling sick when detoxing... I can't speak to that personally, other than a Herxheimer reaction, if one considers the mass die off of bacteria on antibiotic therapy "detoxing." And as others have said, withdrawal symptoms. Beyond that, I suppose it's conceivable depending on circumstance and individual health, but I'm not a physician.

And I do agree there is a metric ton of snake oil out there. Things that just have no rational basis whatsoever.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

Interesting. May I ask what kind of health issues you experience?

Did you know that adequate quantities of N-Acetyl Cysteine is found in oats, broccoli, red pepper, onions, banana, garlic, soy beans, linseed and wheat germ?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Asthma, chronic bronchitis & sinusitis, ankylosing spondylitis, spinal stenosis w/mulitple disc herniations, and slight kidney impairment due to significant hydronephrosis from stones that it later turned out, unbeknownst to us then, nearly did me in or at least cost me a kidney.

And on the mental side, severe anxiety.

And yes I'm aware, but when I say I've tried everything, I mean it literally. High oral doses of supplementary NAC are the only thing that has ever helped me. Without it, I require antibiotics for months at a time. With it, no antibiotics, well in 3 - 4 weeks. For over a decade now. I did try going without it once and it returned to my previous normal, longer course.

Admittedly, I'm likely an outlier, but there is peer reviewed data to support possible explanations, too.

Peace.
edit on 2/27/2017 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

Thanks for the info. Were you born with these conditions? or did you develop them over time?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Asthma I was born with, and while I can't be certain of the sinusitis and bronchitis being something I specifically suffered from as a child, I was seemingly always sick to my recollection. I remember going to doctors constantly and them never being able to figure out why I was sick all the time. It actually improved after adolescence somewhat (I think my air ways just got large enough that I learned to hack things up better and do saline irrigation of my sinuses more tolerantly, etc.) but I never got sick like a normal person. I have always been sick much longer than I should be.

The spinal stuff is degenerative and started to be noticed in my 20s but didn't become really an issue until my 30s. The stones and kidney issues are much more recent. It was the result of (ironically) going on a great diet rich in healthy fats, leafy greens, tea instead of coffee, nuts, lean meats, low carbs, etc. etc. I lost over 100 lbs and felt really good (for me at least.) But, the foods I was eating were rich in oxalates and despite more than adequete fluid intake, formed calcium oxalate kidney stones (and one calcium phosphate stone.)

Now I'm on a low oxalate diet, which is very tricky but doable, and drinking and eating the right things to have a healthier urinary pH.

The anxiety I've pretty much always had.

Peace.
edit on 2/27/2017 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join