It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubby's New Guitar

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Kind of like Spinal Tap at the air force base!

I had a Marshall JTM like that! If it was turned the wrong way you could faintly hear the radio. I think it came from the RCA cable that hooked up the reverb tank. Ended up homeless, sold the amp for some money, spent the money on a storage bin, and couched surfed for a couple days. Found a job, a place, get a paycheck, went to buy the amp back but he sold it out from under me (grrrr)!

Anyway, copper tape is my friend! I have a couple strats that are shielded. I have an SRV strat that may get the treatment. At first I was like, "No way am I touching my SRV" then I read all the things he did to his guitars (including copper shielding tape btw) and no longer have that fear. If I need it on the PDF to keep Spinal Tap moments from happening, then h3lls yeah its going on there!

@Night Star, I agree that the Jem is pretty sweet! And a big
on the MusicMan purchase too!

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
One thing about piezo pickups though. Could have been the parker guitar or the line six head but my roomate back in the berklee days could pick up local radio stations through his pickups. We were a half mile from the antenna tower on top of the prudential center building in boston.

Hi Dave! So good to see you! I had no idea you could pick up radio signals from certain pickups! I would imagine Mark knows that though. No matter how old I get, I'm still learning new things. I'll probably forget that in a few days, but anyway...LOL

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I would, but there is a problem with relief in the neck. The damned thing has warped, and getting it fixed will cost a great deal of money, something of which I am always in short supply these days. In its current state, it is necessary to unlearn all the muscle memory one might have acquired in terms of timing and so on, in order to reliably get tones out of each fret. Its a pain in the neck, literally.

I have a friend who is also a bass maniac, and I get to occasionally go over to his place and mess about with his instrument, but unfortunately, my bass is, for the moment, knackered. At some point, when I am greyer than I am today, no doubt I shall have the thing mended, probably hot rodded a bit too (the action could always have used some work, and the saddles at the bridge are far too thick for my liking, preventing the level of adjustment I would like, considering home building some pickups for laughs as well at some stage).

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Oh man, I had forgotten about that! I remember our discussing this before. I hope you can get it fixed one of these days. I'm glad that you can at least mess around with your friend's bass from time to time.

A shame you live so far away, Mark doesn't give up easily and he would find a way to fix it if it were at all possible. He doesn't give up until it's done right. Hugs!

He is still working on his new toy to get it right. He has 30 days before he can return it if it can't be fixed right.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Hey hunny! How did I not find your thread earlier?

My son has a number of guitars and I don't remember what they all are now.
His father (my ex hubby) actually started building guitars...and made one for Colin James.

You're so lucky to have a guitar player at home. I miss hearing the constant strums and melodies coming from my son (wherever he was, he had a guitar on his lap).
I did buy him his first real guitar when he was 14. A Fender Strat sunburst.
(Mama supports music...music is life!)

Fun thread to read! S&F&*squishy*
jacy

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I am sure that given the time he has to work with, he will get it set up how he likes it.

Its a badass machine!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Awww, so nice to see you in here Hun! Surprisingly, he doesn't play as much as he used to, but at least he is still playing and will jam at a friends house sometimes or here. . Once he lost his leg, he didn't feel much like playing out or going to practices as someone would have to lug all his equipment for him. He does have a prosthetic leg, but it would be uncomfortable standing for long periods and refuses to just sit and play out. He has also played since he was a kid and will be 59 come June. He still loves his music, but he kind of lost interest in being in bands.

You are a great Mom! Mark is always encouraging young people when they express an interest in playing and helps older experienced players with advice, hints, tips and tricks.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I feel confident that he will as well True. If he can't fix it though he will get his money back and put it towards a new one.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Thank you for saying that!

You tell Mark that he doesn't need two legs to play guitar, thank goodness he's got both hands! If he's anything like my son (or his father)...music is therapy...playing soothes the soul.
I can't carry anything heavier than 10 lbs. and I hate being dependent on someone to carry my stuff too.
(so I try to take my own advice and be grateful that I can still 'type' write to entertain myself)

*sneaks in to hug TrueBrit* then *sneaks back out*
jacy

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Awww thanks! He's still playing and yes, it is therapeutic. We've both had a passion for music our whole lives and you have too it seems.

As for carrying heavy things...with both of us being disabled, it's a trip on grocery day getting bags up 3 flights of steps, but somehow we manage. My Friend who takes me out every week will take the two heaviest bags and get them up onto the porch for Mark and he takes them from their. I get the rest. Like you and Mark, I hate being dependent on people too.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Huh...I knew Ernie Ball made strings but I didn't know they made guitars.

If they make strings for an eight string then I cant wait to get my hands on my next guitar, it's more metal than a headbanging demon.

edit on 1-3-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

And what shall your next guitar be?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join