It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep Leonard Lance want to keep Medicaid expansion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Remember that ObamaCare was a variant of RomneyCare. Maybe the GOP needs to take back the initiative.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Sure, call it what you want.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Forcing Medicaid expansion would help but the real remedy to our healthcare dilemma will be the adoption of a not-for-profit, single payer system.

So long as we continue to include the for-profit, private healthcare insurance industry in the mix, (who are only in this game for the profit they can extract from it) we will never get the biggest healthcare bang for our buck.

Probably gonna need to take over the pharmaceutical companies too. Or at the very least, put stringent limits on their profits. Hell, taxpayers are the ones footing the bulk of their R&D anyway.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

I agree, but we will probably not see single payer in this life-time. Money speaks and Insurance companies have it and do not want to lose it. Obama paved the way for it, maybe our next democratic president will take it further.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

So how much "per person" do the insurance companies make in bottom line profit?

Is it enough to solve the whole problem?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

I don't know the answer to your question but I will say that I do not care about the insurance crooks and the money they make or lose. I'm sure they will get less, but will very much still be flushed with money.
edit on 27-2-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Perhaps you should look at the medical industry instead.

The insurance companies pay market price for claims.

The government pays market price for claims too.

Big dilemma.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Single payer would be better, the ACA is paving the way to that.

Being taken advantage of by insurance companies will hopefully be an awful memory of the past.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Kasich warns Republicans on ObamaCare repeal

Republican Ohio Gov. John Kasich warned his party's lawmakers against repealing ObamaCare without a replacement on Wednesday, noting that Ohioans have gained coverage from the Medicaid expansion in his state.

Kasich, who ran for president last year, has long been a supporter of ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion, but his warning to Republicans about repeal on Wednesday was particularly forceful.

“There’s room for improvement, but to repeal and not to replace, I just want to know what’s going to happen to all those people who find themselves left out in the cold,” Kasich told reporters Wednesday, according to audio provided by his office.

He pointed to the roughly 700,000 people who have gained coverage under ObamaCare’s expansion of Medicaid in Ohio.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: rickymouse
Doctors do run test to see if what you have is a bacteria or virus. Antibiotics can not do anything for viral infections so after the tests, basically all you can do is go home and do Nettie pots.

I do find it comforting to know if it is viral or bacterial. I understand there is nothing to help a virus.

Is that what you are talking about? A doctor would not just send you home if it's bacterial.

Over the years, I have been to the doctors and not once did they do a test to check if something is viral or bacterial. Even now, they have the tests yet most people don't get tested the first time they are in. I know a lot of people around here that go to the doctors. We discuss stuff like this.

You've never had a doctor perform a culture swab on you? I go to urgent care centers and they do culture swab tests. If your doctors aren't doing that, then you guys have a serious problem with your healthcare.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Being taken advantage of by insurance companies will hopefully be an awful memory of the past.

So what will "single payer" do to avoid service shortages when the price controls go against market conditions ?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Thank you Kasich

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Sorry, I do not want to debate situations that "might" happen.
It's a waste of time and energy.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Yeah I wish he would have been the Conservative flag bearer during the election and not the Trumpet. I probably would have voted for him. I even said as much during the election (before Trump ridiculed all the other conservatives out of the race).

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

But market price problems already exist.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

perhaps the costs in general need to be less.

Costs in America for hospitals and doctor's visits are way higher than other countries.

There are many solutions to this one issue.

I dont know much about it...it seems to me like making insurance affordable for all Americans is more important than making sure Insurance companies and doctors have lots of money, but that is just my take.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

It's not just their profit margin that affects the "whole problem."

To begin with, their profit is derived by denying claims. They have entire depts., stocked with attorneys, who's sole purpose is to find technical reasons to deny the claims.

How much do they spend on that?

How much do private healthcare insurers spend on advertising?

How much do they spend on CEO salaries and bonuses?

Plus..... profit margins.

Every one of those dollars spent does not do one damn thing to improve anyone's healthcare.

To my knowledge, there is not a single private, for-profit, healthcare insurance provider anywhere in America that can beat the low administrative cost for providing Medicare to it's beneficiaries.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

So what will "single payer" do to avoid service shortages when the price controls go against market conditions ?

They'll probably do the same thing they do in every other industrialized nation that has universal healthcare.

Where by the way, they beat the U.S. in almost every single measurable healthcare related statistic, from infant mortality to average lifespan.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

They'll probably do the same thing they do in every other industrialized nation that has universal healthcare.

Where by the way, they beat the U.S. in almost every single measurable healthcare related statistic, from infant mortality to average lifespan.

I wouldn't be so hopeful. After watching the roll out of Obamacare, it is likely that many GOP led legislatures will purposely break it then point to how Single Payer is failing in their district/state as a reason to get rid of it. After all, that is what they did with the Medicaid expansion. They refuse to accept it then whine that health care prices have skyrocketed in their state.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

But market price problems already exist.

Part of that "market price" includes entire depts. of people employed by doctors and hospitals for the sole purpose of filing claims in very a specific manner so as not to be denied by the for-profit insurance carriers.

My small town, (Pop. 9,000) family doctor told me that he had two employees whose sole purpose was filing claims and combating denials. And he is far from the only doctor in town.

Scale that up and you'll quickly see that nationally, we're spending an awful lot of money that's not doing a damn thing to improve anyone's health.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join