It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are worth more than I gave you credit for.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I've gotten into a bad habit.

I've labeled people, and somehow got it in my mind that their opinion is less valid than mine, or less valid than someone else's.

How did I come to think I could be the judge, the be-all-end-all... of anything?

I may not agree with you, but that doesn't mean much. It means we have lived a different life - As we all have.

Being on a different side of the political spectrum than others, I need to realize that their side is not inherently the wrong side to be on. It's a different side, but the validity of their ideas they want represented should be discussed, debated, conversations should be had at length - Because if no one ever challenged me, I would have never progressed. I need to realize that a better society exists when people come together and figure the best way to go about things - Not just when my ideology is represented.

I need to realize that just because I do not see reasonable compromises, cannot see someone else's ideas working out well, just because I cannot see another's point of view, doesn't mean that the point of view itself has a flaw. It does not mean that no compromise exists, and it does not mean that an idea holds no water - It means that I have gotten myself into a perception where I cannot see the validity of another's beliefs. It means I have chosen to close my eyes when there's something I didn't want to see - Regardless of whether that something is only negative in my own little world.

Fellow members - You are worth more than I gave you credit for. Your opinions matter. You challenging others that do not agree with you, matters. Your perceptions of this life, uniquely yours and no one else's - Matter.

Those I agree with, those I disagree with - You have all helped me grow in ways I never could have expected. I realize I am a lot different than I was some years ago, and I believe these forums have a lot to do with that.

So, I thank you.

Deadlyhope

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Huh? You seem like a Centrist to me. A hell of a lot more willing to compromise than rightists or leftists are. I don't even know where this apology is coming from or why you feel the need to present it.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I am in deep admiration of the courage and introspective personally honesty it took to not only admit this your self, but to write this post as well. I would shake your hand, and introduce you as a truly enlightened person to my friends.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Check out my threads with the most flags and stars.

The titles are similar to " Liberals suck " - literally.

I am a centrist, socially - Though I lean conservative in my personal life - and also attack liberals on that same note, even though I actually am on their side of policy in a lot of cases, because I don't believe my own personal life should be how others live.... I'm not consistent, to put it shortly.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

S+F for you being openly human! The more vague in detail you get, the more I grow to enjoy your thoughts.

I was gonna call you out on a previous thread on which you were sourcing specifics when titling the thread as being a generalist is a successful strategy, but I can see that you are a middle ground fundamentalist at heart so I will just continue to enjoy your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
To thine own self be true, words we should all live by. Respect others even if you don't agree with them, that also works. I'm dating someone who has different political views then me, we both respect each other's opinions. Doesn't hurt that the sex is great!!

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Check out my threads with the most flags and stars.

The titles are similar to " Liberals suck " - literally.

I am a centrist, socially - Though I lean conservative in my personal life - and also attack liberals on that same note, even though I actually am on their side of policy in a lot of cases, because I don't believe my own personal life should be how others live.... I'm not consistent, to put it shortly.
Oh, so you've been feeding the venomous arrow. I see. Gotcha. I don't fluctuate. I guess I'm a "Radical" Centrist... Yeah, I don't get it either, lol, it's a term coined by the right and left... Anyway, basically someone who thinks that only the two ideologies applied together will work...
edit on 25-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Can you stop being nice plz.

Just kiding good to see can see through labels.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

I am in deep admiration of the courage and introspective personally honesty it took to not only admit this your self, but to write this post as well. I would shake your hand, and introduce you as a truly enlightened person to my friends.

Ummm...you forgot the /sarc...there at the end...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I hate to tarnish my sterling reputation around these parts, but I do actually appreciate the ability for people to admit their own toxic habits and prejudices

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Thank you.

I hope to be seen as a better person by others - Not for social standing reasons or the like, but simply because I hope to have a more net positive impact on this world than a net negative impact.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Really I'm all over the place, because .... Well, that's a longer story, and probably just an opinion/perception of mine , not even sure if it's true....

But anyways, i'm glad someone enjoys my thoughts! Be a damn shame if I wrote things every few days and it was never something someone could relate to, or learn from, etc.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

With the Deny Ignorance concept in mind, I have learned to choose words more carefully here, so there's an added chance I may not offend anyone too much. Once opinion of negative varieties are displayed, it tends to act as nothing more then slapping the dog for misbehaving... it typically only makes the aggressor feel better while leading to only fear of position by the dog. At some point in time, the dog learns of angry tones and can't correlate what was not done correctly to warrant abuses.

The funniest part of this site to me... is that I more than likely changed my views based on the very words that I hate to read on this site. So, the words I wish I didn't read hold an equal value to the ones I did read... its up to me and each of us individually here to hold close the ones around us that will validate our own opinions as much as they validate their own... and that middle ground that gets disrupted through name calling.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

While I can appreciate the thought behind it, holding one's tongue in the hopes of preventing offense is often too limiting to be of any good.

top topics

join