It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New mayor of Baghdad wants to build statue of Bush

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I don't think that would be a good idea, there isn't a whole lot of countries that have statues of other countries leaders in them. Has to be a reason for this. Oh except for the statues of Stalin they had in Eastern Europe... could be a few other cases too but it isn't common that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Bush doesn't need a statue in Baghdad, though the sentiment is nice. It would be perceived as pretentious. He'll probably win the Nobel Peace Prize to add to his Man of the Year, Most Admired Man, etc. awards.

Now a statue of a big purple index finger would be nice.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Just when i thought it couldnt get any worse , excuse me while i barf.

I'm sure this government is funding the statue as we speak. Its this governments idea. * wink wink....*

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Bush doesn't need a statue in Baghdad, though the sentiment is nice. It would be perceived as pretentious. He'll probably win the Nobel Peace Prize to add to his Man of the Year, Most Admired Man, etc. awards.

Now a statue of a big purple index finger would be nice.

Yeah right, Nobel Peace Prize huh? The Nobel Peace Prize is never given out to true liberators and peace makers like GWB or Reagan. It is reserved for terrorists and dictator appeasers like Arafat and Jimmy Carter.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
He'll probably win the Nobel Peace Prize to add to his Man of the Year, Most Admired Man, etc. awards.

Yes, I agree. He and his buddies ought to be able to afford it...what with all the extra cash they've made since the war began. Cheney could finance the Nobel Peace prize for Dubya out of those annual compensation payments he's getting from Haliburton.

Excuse me while I barf.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Jsobecky, you dont know when to stop do you?

How long do you think a statue of Bush would stay erect in Baghdad? 5 minutes?...oh wait, we'll draft some soldiers to protect it 24/7...shoot to kill....

insane.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Yeah right, Nobel Peace Prize huh? The Nobel Peace Prize is never given out to true liberators and peace makers like GWB or Reagan. It is reserved for terrorists and dictator appeasers like Arafat and Jimmy Carter.

Not to mention, I'm sure, freaky old communists like Mother Teresa and tree huggers like the African lady who won it this year, right?

But given the current obsession with weaponry in the world, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nobel Peace Prize became the Nobel War Prize.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
YOu know what,

If I was an Iraqi, I wouldn't mind at all.... Bless his heart for growing some balls and "helping" them get the freedoms they were for so long denied.

And to the rest of you that think the decision was stupid... I dare you to walk up to an Iraqi and tell them that.

For sure i'd guess positively they wouldn't want a statue of you in their city, nor would they want you to remain in their presence, they were # on by sadam and his scab of an unjust militia for way too long, they don't need you to tell them bush's idea was wrong...

[edit on 31-1-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I imagine this statue would be the target of so many vandalism attacks that it wouldn't last a day.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I think this has more to do with conditioning the Iraqis than praise.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Bush will not want to have a statue there. It was nice of the offer but to decline would be better, hopefully it does not offend them.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'd say a better monument to their US liberators would be a monument to the Coaliation soldiers that fought and died so that they could be free, perhaps c.f the vietnam wall mermorial, with all the names. Those are guys that, in a hundred years, the Iraqi Republic should still be talking about.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
A statue of Bush would be inappropriate in this situation. A statue with a soldier handing a symbol of peace or a flag to an Iraqi child would be more prestigious and meaningful. Representing the future of Iraq's children and the sacrifice of the soldiers who gave them freedom.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by swintersVT
A statue of Bush would be inappropriate in this situation. A statue with a soldier handing a symbol of peace or a flag to an Iraqi child would be more prestigious and meaningful. Representing the future of Iraq's children and the sacrifice of the soldiers who gave them freedom.
exactly, thank you very much for having your head screwed on right.

A statue of Bush would be embarassingly inapropriate and stupid.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
nooooooooooooooooooooo!!! y? cause people there will really get anti-american, y? we are there to give freedom not, conquer the country!!!

dh

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Originally posted by swintersVT
exactly, thank you very much for having your head screwed on right.

A statue of Bush would be embarassingly inapropriate and stupid.

Perhaps a rather abstract statue comprised of representations in metal ofbits of body parts, arms, legs, heads, guts, brains, welded together in random order might be appropriate

It could be based on the US troops own pictures posted here
www.undermars.com...
and continuing

[edit on 31-1-2005 by dh]

[edit on 31-1-2005 by dh]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I will tell you this, those people voted in order to be able to eat.

www.dahrjamailiraq.com...

My guess is this is why there was a 60% voter turnout.

Who can blame them?

Perhaps a statue of Bush carrying a pizza with the works?...

dh

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Who can blame them?

Yup - manipulation in the field - seems like a good blackmail

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Who can blame them?

As usual you twist the truth to your perverted agenda dg, they got the lists of voters from the old food ration lists, not the other way around. This has been reported for months.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
”Two of the food dealers I know told me personally that our food rations would be withheld if we did not vote,” said Saeed Jodhet, a 21-year-old engineering student who voted in the Hay al-Jihad district of Baghdad.

There has been no official indication that Iraqis who did not vote would not receive their monthly food rations.

Many Iraqis had expressed fears before the election that their monthly food rations would be cut if they did not vote. They said they had to sign voter registration forms in order to pick up their food supplies

right.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join