It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

would you go for more money/responsibility or stick with the easy gig?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
more money is always nice but its not all about the money....that said i might be in a position to make a choice on monday and im not sure which way to go. just looking for others thoughts.

so i lost my job in november. was out for about a month and started this new place in december. i started in the fab shop doing in process inspection. i went to 3rd shift for about 2 weeks just inspecting welds. im now moved back on 1st to paint/assembly where i am doing final and in process checks in completed parts.

the down side to this job is i am making about 400 a month less than i was before. also i find myself a little bored. the upsides are it is a great shift now that i moved. mon-fri from 6-2:30. my supervisor is across town at the fab shop so i dont have a boss where i am at. it is crazy easy. i could do it in my sleep. it is not physically or mentally demanding at all which is a nice change of pace for me.
basically i check finished parts. babysit the assemblers. fill out some paperwork and scan it to the quality manager at the end of day.

the interview monday is for a metal lab. they actually called me for whatever that is worth.
i dont know all the particulars yet but i do know it is 500 more a month so that is a plus. it is a rotating shift of 4, 12 hour days with 3 days off then 3, 12 hour days with 4 days off. i have to say that is awesome. almost like mini vacations each week.
it will be much more responsibility. more mentally draining. i will be back to rubbing shoulders with supervisors and in meetings. i hated that part of it. i was stressed out all the time and i anticipate it being the same.

what would you do? get after the money or stick with the easy #.

im torn as of now. we could always use the money but i dont miss being stressed out all day. while i do miss a challenging day to a point it is nice to basically be able to go in on autopilot and get my day done.

thanks for your input

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I don't know. I'm in a niche right now. I could merely put my hand out and take an extra grand every month ... and I'd really hate life. Four or five hundred a month, after taxes, after expenses, after _expectations_ ... it's rarely worth it.

That said ... I absolutely love what I'm doing now. Nearly every encounter almost ends in hugs. I'm on the tail end of getting things finished and out the door (much as you've described your boring job). I think there's a bit of a difference in attitude ... and maybe you could consider that.

The shifts you described in the 'potential job' sound great. On the flip side, how secure is a position your bosses can allow to be vacant for four days straight? When you see compression like that, you'd best consider who's going to lose their job if someone decides to smooth out the schedule. That happens as soon as management notices burn-out or safety related risk.

Brother ... it'd be a hard choice. What are you gonna do with those 3 and 4 day breaks??

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

More money is good. More bosses isn't.

The benefit$ might be outweighed by some sleazy bossman who cans you on a whim.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

3 and 4 days breaks? nothing special.
lots of reading and lots of watching my stories.
same as always

more time for music is always good

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I always look down the road.
Make your decision based on what advancement each company offers.

For example if the better paying job is a dead end job with nowhere to go or is with a shaky company, it might be a better choice to take the lower paying job.

Does one job offer new skills that can help you later?
Will either job help you get your next job?

Think about the future.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

im having a hard time with the place i am at now and im not exactly sure why....as in feeling secure i mean.

this company has been in this town since 1981. never had a lay off. employs a lot of people. been around longer than the last foundry i was at.
it just does not feel secure. i cant really put my finger on it.

i think maybe its cause for the first time in about 8 years im in a position that does not hold much responsibility. i feel like my job is so easy that one day they are going to realize "hey. we pay this dude too much for too little"

ive talked to people that have been with the company 20 years so clearly it is a secure job.

my current place and the place i am interviewing with monday have been around a long time. both employ a lot of people.
i cant quite put my finger on it

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

It is always a balance.

Weigh the pros & cons. Always balance money, comfort / lifestyle, and future opportunities. In my experience (at least in my industry), working 3rd shift is the fastest way to never being promoted again. You have to be "in the action" and get noticed to be in the running for future opportunities.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

As soon as I read rotating shifts I stopped reading.

We need regular cycles to function properly but you can never get that on rotating shifts 'cause it throws you out of sync with pretty much everything: friends, family, hobbies - everything outside of work.

Never go on rotating shifts if you have a choice - it is a miserable existence - it's like taking a hammer to your biological clock.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

i may not have explained well.
the shift is always 7am to 7pm.
it rotates 3 days on and 4 off to 4 days on and 3 off

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Do it. Even the easy jobs get old after a while. Also they tend to make you more lazy as you get used to being laid back.

Also you can't beat those days off. More time to unwind and relax will help to offset any extra stress you incur.

You can almost always move back down but opportunities to move up aren't always dropped in your lap. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I will take more money for the precise level of responsibility I have now, but I would not want to take on more than I have, even to earn more money. Why?

Because I am the director of the company, and I do not pay myself anywhere near what my time is worth. I would love to, but I would bankrupt the company if I did.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Only speaking for myself as everyone has a different approach to life..

I work to do one thing and that is go as hard as I can to be as successful as I can. To make sure I am always pushing myself mentally. I love the pressure I feel in my career, the responsibility and challenge. I want to be in front of everything and have the people asking me "how do we solve this problem" ..It doesnt sound like that is your mentality ans that is okay .

I would then factor in that right or wrong, good or bad, making more money makes certain elements of life easier then I wouldn't even hesitate. $500 is no small amount and I would guess , based on this or previous posts , you might be living check to check. Never let anyone convince you that having the money to pay your bills, to live life the way you want is a bad thing because It's not.

I could see the shift changes get annoying, I dont know you so you have to really assess if working those shifts would interrupt with your life. Seems to me then you have 3 things to look at.

1. More pressure and-or responsiblity (doesnt sound like this is something you can thrive in)
2. More money (good)
3. Shift changes (not sure)

Best of luck either way!

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
my husband is in the exact same situation.

I think he's going to stay with the easy low stress job. it's only 7 minutes from home so he saves on gas and not sitting in traffic for him is huge!

right now he's working 8:30 to 5 but eventually will be able to go to a four day 10 hour week, or like you 6 - 2:30.

he's bored but he does like the guys he works with. we're lucky enough that the lower pay is okay. personally, I prefer he keep the low stress job. also, there are jobs with better pay and not too much stress where he is now, so he can move up there eventually.

tuff decision for sure - good luck!

edit on 25-2-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I remember the days...

12 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep, a few hours to do daily chores, but no time to enjoy...

being off during the week when everyone else wasn't...

and working when they were...

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I have always been an advocate of taking advantage of all opportunities offered that result in increased responsibility/skills (which, generally, lead to more of those opportunities down the road). It is how you advance through life and open up choices that could greatly benefit you in later years, whether early retirement, working at something you sincerely enjoy, or just being able to try something different. As others have said, easy/mundane/routine becomes boring and can lead to overall dissatisfaction and lack of true happiness. Then there is always the bonus of making you more valuable, organization-wise, when potential layoffs come up...and lastly, for me it's never been about the money, it's about peak performance.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
A 4 and 3 schedule is pretty nice for someone living in town.
I used to work Monday till Thursdays at 4 pm, at the mine site an hr and a half outside of town.
It was great being home with the family more often, but soon it became a chore due to having to arrange everything appointment wise, on my first day off - the Friday.

I am now on 1 week on 1 week off. Which is pretty slick as well. I have time to get things done on my days out.

As for a rotating schedule, that is pretty decent. At least at some point you will have a few weekdays off to allow you to get banking or appointment taken care of.

I say go for the change and more loot.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Do what makes you happy because money can't buy that- but if you need a job that is more mentally stimulating in order to achieve happiness extra money certainly doesn't hurt! Personally I prefer more days free to do what I want (I only work 3 days per week now and it's awesome).

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
I want to be in front of everything and have the people asking me "how do we solve this problem" ..It doesnt sound like that is your mentality ans that is okay .

thats how i was at both my last jobs. a bronze foundry and an iron foundry. i was like you described out in front. problem solving. data analysis. lab testing...it was stressful. i used to really enjoy it.
ive taken a couple pretty bad injuries. im in pain all the time. on top of the pain i am always in i have been having prostate problems that brings a whole new type of misery...
i just feel wore out a lot.

while i do find myself being bored i like the fact that i am not pulled in several directions as one. no more calls from the higher ups being shuffled and here and there to deal with this or that. i was good at it and i did like it to a point but it started to take its toll.

i just dont know what to do.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
In the scenario you describe, I would stay put. You sound happier there. The real question is: is the $500 worth all the extra stress?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You need to put your happiness first. I'm picking up that you'd rather stay put but are worried about the risk of boredom.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the risk of stress from the new job.

I can thrive on a challenge but one has to know one's own boundaries. I feel that with your health issues perhaps you need to give yourself a break.

If you are currently doing a good job and are well thought of perhaps other opportunities might arise that are not as stressful as the offer you are considering now. Even if not, you can find ways to make yourself useful or find things to do.

You don't mention your family but I suspect that they'd rather you were relaxed and happy than too stressed to socialize with them after a hard day at work.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join