It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know a thing or two about cars?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I don't know. They very well could be the exact same or the could be "compatible with." I didn't search much into your particulars. If you do order from ebay make sure you can return if anything is amiss. Good luck man.

ETA: So I went snooping.

Interchange Part Number: Monroe # 171938 & 171939

So they are not the same as what you get from rockauto. Keep an eye out for those terms.
edit on 24-2-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

MONROE 171939 - Rock auto part numbers
MONROE 171938
MONROE 171937 - End of rock auto part numbers

Monroe # 171938 & 171939 - Ebay numbers ( I feel like they're missing a number though... )

Am I reading things wrong? Aren't these exactly the same, or am I just not well versed in reading part numbers? >.> heh.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

This is what your getting from ebay.
www.amazon.com...

From the ebay description.
Condition: New Brand:
Unity Automotive
Interchange Part Number: Monroe # 171938 & 171939 Kit or Single Part: Kit
Manufacturer Part Number:
Unity Part # 4-11161-15070-001
Warranty: 1 Year
Placement on Vehicle: Left, Right, Front, Rear Kit Parts Included: 2 Front Complete Strut & 2 Rear Complete Shock
Other Part Number: G56958, 1332321L, ST8520L, G56960, 1336309, ST8521 Adjustable: No

Key word being "Interchangeable"

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Well I don't mind you disagreeing with someone else on my thread, but I'd prefer that you provide the solution rather than just call out others, you know?

buy them, then fit them. if theres a problem , then ask questions.
monroe arent cheap chinese knock=offs, youre being a bit of a big girl about nothing.
edit on 24-2-2017 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Well aren't you salty.

I don't know anything about cars, or mechanics.

I'm a hotel manager that also does some computer programming on the side.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Ahh, thanks for that.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

edit on 24-2-2017 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

No problem man, just trying to help. Been there/done that with cheap parts and "deals". I don't doubt they exist but always be leery. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: ketsuko

I always expect my vehicles to last forever
so far none of them have but that`s why I buy the best parts that I can afford so that I don`t have to replace them so often in case one of them does last forever or lasts at least another 10-20 years.
if I was planning only keeping a vehicle for a year I wouldn`t do any work on it as long as it kept running.

Eh, we're just in a situation right now where we have to try our luck on a beater and make it last a year.

Husband's old Pontiac has a leaky head gasket and at almost 360,000 miles, it's not worth repairs. So we're looking for an old Honda at the moment.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

So, will I need to order... Bushings, bearings, bolts, screws, haha whatever holds these things in place, as well?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

That will depend on what has been replaced recently. If you're going to have your suspension torn down, you might as well replace whatever can be. As far as the struts are concerned, they should come with all the hardware needed.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

i know a thing or two

i know those struts are going to be complete #

unity automotive???? come on man

if you have a spring compressor

www.oreillyauto.com... C0035

if not

www.oreillyauto.com... C0035

you can always take yours off and buy the first ones. take them to a shop and have them swap the springs. that shouldnt cost all that much

i bet it would save you as much as 50-75 per side....
figure 89 an hour labor. they could swap out all 4 in less than an hour no problem. probably closer to 30 minutes

if you buy that # off ebay they prob wont fit and if they dont fit they probably wont last

looking at the bottom of the strut mounts in the pics of the links i put up i can tell you that you will pay extra labor for the alignment. theyre gonna have to do some work to those holes to get your caster adjusted so dont expect to get the advertised prices of a 49.99 alignment.
dont fret though even if you didnt change your struts they just set the toe for that price anyway.

hell these days a lot of shop wont even mess with caster or camber adjustments if there is no factory call for it. i dont know about a 97 intrepid. when i was doing them (15) years ago we did the work. made adjustments to the holes. used shims. used air bladders it right. these days they just tell you they cant do it and send you on your way.

good luck man

If you order online from advanced auto and find a discount for twenty to thirty percent you can get some pretty good deals. slickdeals.net... My brother uses codes like this a lot, orders online then goes pick it up at the store. You can use the code four times, one for each shock.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I don't trust ebay for parts as a matter of preference. I get my parts from here.

www.rockauto.com...

I use RockAuto for some things, but you can still get sub-par parts from them if you don't pay attention.

I prefer Summit Racing for both stock replacement as well as standard performance parts. Fair prices on quality parts, and extremely fast shipping. As an example, I recently ordered a part from Summit at 9pm, it was in my hands the next day at 2pm with free shipping.

Locally, I tend to prefer NAPA, as they carry quality parts.

For GM stuff, CrateEngineDepot is great. Tom is a great guy and will take care of you. I have an order in with them right now for some new springs and struts myself.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hummmph...I was gonna' say "you'll need to get a spring compressor", but then I looked at the link.

That's interesting, it's a whole assembly. Never seen that before!

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   

On a 97 when you replace struts,then you'll notice your front end bushings,bump stops etc all need replacing,do it gradually then you'll have a more stable car,I for one have seen what car springs can do when compressed,potentially fatal,so I don't mess with springs,pay a mechanic

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I know a bit about cars. But mostly about their outside look. I worked at a small local salon in my city and whenever customers would stop by with some extraordinary propositions or dreams I'd suggest them the best glow strength glow paint Noxton. So I'm sort of an expert in outside tuning but that's about it

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join