It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Freedom of the press" should have limitations just like every other constitutional right.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Actually, Obama said many of the same things, including suggesting that 'fake news' was a threat to democratic freedoms. Likewise, his administration and the left in general have been whining about Fox News for years.

The whole thing is kind of amusing, because the Democrats and the MSM were complaining loudly about 'fake news' in the wake of the election and largely blaming it for Hillary's loss. Now that Trump has flipped the script and thrown it back in their faces, they can't handle it. Neither side is better than the other here.

For my part, I think its a case of the first amendment and free speech being a two-way street. The president, whether its Obama or Trump, can't use the power of government to directly control what the media says, but otherwise, he does have a 1st amendment right to complain as loudly as he wants about their coverage.
edit on 25-2-2017 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

You have never heard a speech made by trump that was then skewed, embellished or taken out of context.
If you believe you have then please give an example.
His words are put out exactly as he tweets them or speaks them. We have the tweets we have the friggin video.
You need to stop blaming the media for reporting the crap he does and start holding him responsible for the crap he does.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well, at the outset, there are limitations on the Freedom of the Press. They can't print lies and call it truth.

That's libel and is actionable in our justice system.

The problem in my mind lies in the rise of "Opinion Journalism" ... and we could debate where that originated.

This led to the rise in the news media being mixed with entertainment.

"Fake news" has become a catch-all phrase for anything that is disagreed with.

If these news outlets are really committing libel ... then sue them. If they are committing libel against the United States government, sue them.

If not ... admit that "fake news" is in general nothing more than a rhetorical device directed at those who disagree.

In the case of the almost overwhelming power of the American Executive branch ... the ability to disagree and serve as a watchdog and/or check on that power ... has been a vital part of our system for the last century.

If it's fake, prove it in court. You won't have to do it that many times before the message gets across.

If you can't prove it in court, then it's not fake. Suck it up and deal with the facts.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Did you hear him double down on the Sweden story? Oh yeah. Says "they gave me a hard time about Sweden then three days later "...at which point he faltered so not quite sure what the # he was trying to get at.
If he's not a drunk he's got some other serious issues.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I would just welcome anyone that doesn't believe in the existence of FAKE news to research a dark time in U.S. history about 'yellow journalism'.

See if this description doesn't match 90% (percentage made up in my head) of current news fed to you through our magic box.

scare headlines in huge print, often of minor news
lavish use of pictures, or imaginary drawings
use of faked interviews, misleading headlines, pseudoscience, and a parade of false learning from so-called experts
emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, usually with comic strips
dramatic sympathy with the "underdog" against the system.

Sorry the above is quoted from Wikipedia but I don't quite have the posting of external quotes 'learnt' yet.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

The problem is that drumpft has declared honest hard working journalists and reputable media outlets as an enemy of the people when they report that he's behaving like a mental patient.
He's trying to control the conversation and reporting of his behavior.
Instead he should try controlling his very bad behavior.
Isn't that what you would tell your child if the teacher told you they were misbehaving? Or would you picket to get the teacher fired instead?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Technomancer01

Yes, fake news exists.

No, everything the President disagrees with is not fake news.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Only to weak minded people.
Most of us can handle it just fine.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
the problem with the press is that just about all of the mainstream sources are owned by the same few while those that are still independent are having to make cuts in their staffs and depend on outside sources more and more for the investigative part of investigative journalism. it's becoming more and more monopolized into a left/right, no independent media. break up the monopolies, and help the media function independently and they will have more freedom and be pressured more to go back to how they used to function, with more truth and less politically driven opinions.
if we take what appears to be trump's path, we will go the next 4 to 8 years with the gov't doing things with the intention of weakening half of our mainstream media companies, and then after that, we will go another 4 to 8 years with the left weakening the other half... and well then it will just be a gov't controlled media.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Citizen journalism and independent media is just as likely to participate in fake news, based on my experience, if not moreso.

They don't usually answer to shareholders.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Of course, everything has limitations. I have freedom of speech. That doesn't mean I can run around the streets screaming murdering someone.

If a MSM company lies, then the public will find out about it and boycott, causing it to go bankrupt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join