It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Freedom of the press" should have limitations just like every other constitutional right.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
First off, I do not condone the latest actions of The White House Administration - To deny CNN and Bluffington post but not also deny Faux and The Blaze is just partisan politics - It only increases division among the people and makes tensions worse. To act like Fox news is any more valid/true than the New york times is just silly, in my opinion.

On that note - It's exactly this type of behavior that I think should be discouraged in a general, and broad way. Does "Freedom of the press" truly mean that a news station really has the "right" to cause division - Division that as we have seen as of late, can literally be deadly? People allegedly on the "left" burning things and breaking things and attacking others - And people allegedly on the "right" shooting people in the name of their political stances.

It's crazy - It's wrong - It's bad - And I fully believe that an incompetent government, spanning over decades, mixed with a divisive, manipulative, controlling, fear and hatred-instilling media have created far too many negative situations for us to just lie down and accept. Checks and balances is not working. Freedom of the press is running too freely - It'd be akin to saying that freedom of speech means we can threaten people with terrorist acts or create fear like yelling "bomb" on a plane - These things are just not allowed for a good reason - And I think most mainstream media outlets have gone too far on this route as well.

Why can the media yell "bomb" and "fire" and use the same pictures used years ago to depict something that isn't happening to instill fear in people? Why can the media cherry-pick random cases and misrepresent the facts to cause more division among people?
Why is the media allowed show us the threat of terrorism - Even when statistics show those threats do not exist? ( for all intents and purposes )

I think Denzel Washington's quote ( something like.... ) - " If you don't read the paper, you're uninformed. If you do, your misinformed" fits a lot better and is a lot better of a thought process to adopt than simply choosing news stations that don't agree with you and calling them " fake news" - And just creating even more hatred, division - Manipulating things based on a person or groups will rather than relying on truth and right to dictate anything at all...

Anyways, that's just what's on my mind right now..

What do you think, fellow members?

-Deadlyhope
edit on 24-2-2017 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

The Press used to pride themselves on honest journalism. Now? Not so much! The amazing thing in all of this is how half a dozen HUGE corporations *the 1%* own and control the MSM.

Yet it is those who are so adamantly against the 1% who seems to be the most willing to carry their water?

Is it just me?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Who gets to decide whats fake and whats true ? Therein lies the problem . The press must remain free . Each individual has the freedom/responsibilty to make up their own mind about what to believe .

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Anybody can sue for Libel.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
trump has said the press is the "enemy of the people" over and over.....so, to me that means the first amendment to the constitution (freedom of the press) is the "enemy of the people"....the fact that this arrogant, vulgar, narcissist claims this, should be grounds for impeachment.....why?....what do you do to "enemies of the people"???.....you get rid of them.
screw that...it also isolates his true believers into thinking this. 42% of trump voters STILL think Obama wasn't born here....so, he is trying to talk his voters into not only disregarding the MSM, but to make them an enemy of the MSM....might want to research how Putin got rid of his opposition press when he first got into office.....trump is following the same playbook....

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TREESNAKE1111
Who gets to decide whats fake and whats true ? Therein lies the problem . The press must remain free . Each individual has the freedom/responsibilty to make up their own mind about what to believe .

We do. But, it takes so much effort and research. You have to listen to speeches, hear the words and listen to the context. You have to read, research, go to government websites, look at connections, and verify verify verify.

When I hear a talk given by the president, then hear his words skewed, embellished, and taken out of context by VFN, I want to scream. I'll hear it, and say "he didn't say that"....they are reporting fake news.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

And the press has said it was their job to tell us what to think, are you cool with that, do you and can you think for yourself or do you need the media to do that for you?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TREESNAKE1111

it's not a problem, everyone for themselves must decide....I'll take what the MSM reports, over anything that the lying Donnie says.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If the major news outlets don't start reporting accurate unbiased news, their going to severely damage this country. I don't even watch the morning networks shows anymore let alone the late night network shows. They are even worse. The other morning I just decided to watch "I Dream of Jeannie" and in the evening I opted for "MacGyver". I think I am now tuning out.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
trump has said the press is the "enemy of the people" over and over.....so, to me that means the first amendment to the constitution (freedom of the press) is the "enemy of the people"....the fact that this arrogant, vulgar, narcissist claims this, should be grounds for impeachment.....why?....what do you do to "enemies of the people"???.....you get rid of them.
screw that...it also isolates his true believers into thinking this. 42% of trump voters STILL think Obama wasn't born here....so, he is trying to talk his voters into not only disregarding the MSM, but to make them an enemy of the MSM....might want to research how Putin got rid of his opposition press when he first got into office.....trump is following the same playbook....

Trump said the media is not the enemy of the American people. Fake News media is the enemy. There's a difference.

Yet, you and VFN and others will say over and over and over that he thinks the media is our enemy.

Here is what he said today at CPAC:

From the transcript of his speech:

They're very dishonest people. In fact, in covering my comments, the dishonest media did not explain that I called the fake news the enemy of the people — the fake news. They dropped off the word “fake”. And all of a sudden the story became the media is the enemy. They take the word “fake” out. And now I'm saying, oh, no, this is no good. But that's the way they are. So I'm not against the media, I'm not against the press. I don't mind bad stories if I deserve them, and I tell you, I love good stories, but we won't talk — I don't get too many of them. But I am only against the fake news media or press. Fake. Fake. They have to leave that word.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TamtammyMacx
If the major news outlets don't start reporting accurate unbiased news, their going to severely damage this country. I don't even watch the morning networks shows anymore let alone the late night network shows. They are even worse. The other morning I just decided to watch "I Dream of Jeannie" and in the evening I opted for "MacGyver". I think I am now tuning out.

I gave up on television all together! I lay down at night and watch you tubers and Twitch people play 7 Days 2 Die!

Television and Hollywood are toxic!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

And the press has said it was their job to tell us what to think, are you cool with that, do you and can you think for yourself or do you need the media to do that for you?

I never heard them say that, and neither have you. i get information from several media platforms, as every person should do.....even trump voters. and where do you get your information?.....right wing or anarchist blogs run by individuals that have nothing to lose?....they can't be fired, and nobody will sue them because they have no, or little money.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

I'm not so sure this is what was meant by the statement. I know what was said. But Marie Antoinette supposedly said, 'Let them eat cake', but very few people know what the intention of that statement was. Personally, I believed that the intention of the statement in question was that Trump, by using made-up 'facts', was controlling what people think. And that the media's job is to provide the facts that help people determine what to think. Is the press biased? Sure. We all know that. Do they misconstrue information or use sources that prove inaccurate? Yup. I think that is part and parcel to the 'news' business. But when the media is presented with verifiable, conflicting information to what they report, they issue retractions/corrections --- they do it all the time. That's something Trump certainly doesn't do. I don't believe there is any sinister master plan to control people's thinking via news reporting. Via advertising? Absolutely.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: jimmyx

Trump said the media is not the enemy of the American people. Fake News media is the enemy. There's a difference.

Yet, you and VFN and others will say over and over and over that he thinks the media is our enemy.

Here is what he said today at CPAC:

From the transcript of his speech:

They're very dishonest people. In fact, in covering my comments, the dishonest media did not explain that I called the fake news the enemy of the people — the fake news. They dropped off the word “fake”. And all of a sudden the story became the media is the enemy. They take the word “fake” out. And now I'm saying, oh, no, this is no good. But that's the way they are. So I'm not against the media, I'm not against the press. I don't mind bad stories if I deserve them, and I tell you, I love good stories, but we won't talk — I don't get too many of them. But I am only against the fake news media or press. Fake. Fake. They have to leave that word.

so, any news that CRITICIZES trump is an "enemy of the people", how is that different".....it was still the same thing that Putin did in Russia....

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

Obama’s private briefings for liberal members of the media, which excluded conservatives, were well-documented. A few: December 2012: Several journalists reported that MSNBC hosts were meeting privately with President Obama to discuss the impending “fiscal cliff” fight. May 2013: NPR’s Ari Shapiro reported that President Obama was meeting privately with “lefty columnists,” but hastened to add that there was “nothing nefarious” about it. November 2013: President Obama met again with liberal journalists, as Obamacare struggled with the failure of healthcare.gov and other problems. March 2015: Politico’s media reporter, Hadas Gold, reported that “a group of journalists and columnists,” all on the left, met privately with President Obama, but the White House refused to say “who else was at the meeting or what was discussed.”

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

so, any news that CRITICIZES trump is an "enemy of the people", how is that different".....it was still the same thing that Putin did in Russia....

Re-read. Get it right. Sometimes I think there is a mental block to the liberal mind. It's like they can't "see" with seeing eyes nor "hear" with hearing ears.

Did you read the part where he said he doesn't mind criticism. The other day he said that he doesn't mind negative news if it's true. He can handle that. When the media prints falsehoods or embellishes something beyond recognition of the original statement, it is fake news....pure and simple.

It is no different than a tabloid printing a headline saying "Hillary hides Chelsea's illegitimate alien baby in the basement with her illegal server."

edit on 24-2-2017 by queenofswords because: spelling correction

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Fox News is the best. Most fair and balanced.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Sorry, this isn't soccer for children anymore. No participation trophies. Everyone is still free to report whatever they feel like. You don't condone not all people being invited to a party? Get over it.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
"Freedom of the press" should have limitations just like every other constitutional right.

Just some food for thought;

Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost.
Thomas Jefferson

No experiment can be more interesting than that we are now trying, and which we trust will end in establishing the fact, that man may be governed by reason and truth. Our first object should therefore be, to leave open to him all the avenues to truth. The most effectual hitherto found, is the freedom of the press. It is, therefore, the first shut up by those who fear the investigation of their actions.
Thomas Jefferson

Freedom of conscience, of education, of speech, of assembly are among the very fundamentals of democracy and all of them would be nullified should freedom of the press ever be successfully challenged.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

When the nazis came to power, I looked to the universities that prided themselves upon their intellectual freedom, and they failed me. I looked to the German press, which prided itself on the freedom of the press, and it failed me. Until at last the churches stood alone, and that for which I once had little regard earned my respect.
Albert Einstein

We don't have an Official Secrets Act in the United States, as other countries do. Under the First Amendment, freedom of the press, freedom of speech, and freedom of association are more important than protecting secrets.
Alan Dershowitz

Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.
Benjamin Franklin

Woe to that nation whose literature is cut short by the intrusion of force. This is not merely interference with freedom of the press but the sealing up of a nation's heart, the excision of its memory.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.
John F. Kennedy

A free press can, of course, be good or bad, but, most certainly without freedom, the press will never be anything but bad.
Albert Camus

Absolute freedom of the press to discuss public questions is a foundation stone of American liberty.
Herbert Hoover

I am... for freedom of the press, and against all violations of the Constitution to silence by force and not by reason the complaints or criticisms, just or unjust, of our citizens against the conduct of their agents.
Thomas Jefferson

You get the drift...

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

"Trump said".

Therein lies the problem. It is the administration that is defining the boundaries to their viewpoint.

Wind the clock back 6 months

If it had been "Obama said", can you honestly say you would be applauding the sentinment?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join