It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House hand-picks select media outlets for briefing

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Well, so you'll know, It annoys me too when I hear what he 'hasn't' done yet, and when is he going to.... whatever.
I'm thinking Good Lord! Give him a break! He just got here. The demands are ridiculous for being in office for such a short period of time.

Anyway.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

locking out journalism so that he can talk only with people that agree with him

How about locking out journalism so that he can talk only with people that will report exactly what was said?

He did warn them to be forthright and honest or else. To put it another way, don't piss on the Presidents foot and expect an invitation to the party. After all, he is the President of the United States of America and therefore the most powerful man in the world.

Would you feel safe in saying he (or is it He now?) is Not To Be Questioned?

PS. He's the most powerful man in the world because he is supposed to be the representative of the United States of America which is, at least for the time being, the most powerful nation on earth.

There is nothing about Donald J. Trump the man that makes him great ...he is a proven liar, bully and bombast.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Ditto.

You had me at "common sense."

(That's a Thomas Paine joke, LOL)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

It is all good, honestly I imagine the vast majority of Americans are not far apart in the way they think... if we actually had the chance to sit on the porch drink some sweet tea and talk, we might actually get the country moving in a positive way it has not in a very long time.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Ditto.

You had me at "common sense."

(That's a Thomas Paine joke, LOL)

And a pamphlet that EVERYONE should read.......!!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Some folks here are right and have made good points. There is nothing that requires the President (or his staff) to communicate with the press at all. The Constitution says the press shall be free ... it doesn't say that the President (or anyone else in the government, really) has to tell anyone in the media a blessed thing. That is true.

What is also true is that for over 100 years, members of the White House Press Corps have had access to our Presdiential Administrations. It is tradition, and established practice, and has been so through Presidents from both parties in the most critical of times. It has been accepted that the press is there to keep watch on the workings of the President and his Administration, and work to keep the American people advised as it is considered a long-standing right of the People to be informed.

Some of you posting here today were honest enough to say outright that you are glad that certain members of the Press were kept out of the briefing given today and that is due, if you are honest, to your belief that they are liberal/leftist/Democratic-biased organizations.

And there's some truth to that as well, in some cases. We've all known over the last few decades as American politics has basically split in two, that some of the media outlets cater to "one side" and some the other.

We all know what happened today. The action was symbolic, sure, but telling. The President (and the media that is favorable to him and his agenda) have been promoting this concept of "fake news." And yes, sometimes there are ELEMENTS of publications and broadcasts that have spin. Sometimes, there have been outright misrepresentations ... but we all also know that's not what's being pointed in this "Fake News" campaign that Trump and his media is running and that many here are adhering to faithfully and blindly as you have been conditioned to do.

Yes, we all know what happened today. Yes, the smaller briefings are generally limited, but the way in which this "gaggle" was conducted is a complete departure from tradition and what happened, and the press corps members who were excluded, is a clear message ... this President and this Administration doesn't care about tradition, it doesn't care about fair representation, and most of all, it doesn't care about the truth.

Those of you who see this as some kind of victory against snotty liberals that you've had to put up with all these years, troubling the clear and simple message you get daily from Fox, Breitbart, Townhall, and the rest of the Echo Chamber with those pesky facts ... enjoy your day.

And remember it. This is the day the first tiny step was taken towards pure authoritarianism in the United States of America.

You've all been worried about tyrants in the White House, and now you've got one, and you cheer over his every action.

Funny thing about autocrats though, especially the ego-driven, arrogant, thin-skinned ones ... just because you are in a protected group today doesn't mean you will be tomorrow.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

You make fine points. While I don't agree with your personal assesment of Trump & his cabinet and I don't see this as some kind of victory.....most of the rest is spot on. I would like to make one point. You mentioned tradition. I can't fault your points regarding it. But.

Trump is not a traditional president. I think it's a step in the right direction because large media corporations have become complacent and entitled. Only time will tell if this particular break with tradition(WH & media) is beneficial or detrimental. I hope the former.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: angeldoll

It is all good, honestly I imagine the vast majority of Americans are not far apart in the way they think... if we actually had the chance to sit on the porch drink some sweet tea and talk, we might actually get the country moving in a positive way it has not in a very long time.

That is just it right there, the political divide is wide, but we are still all human beings, and I think most of us are decent human beings. We would look after our friends and family, and try to come to a consensus going forward. Why can't congress do this?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Wealth and power...

the average American (in my humble opinion) just wants a shot at the american dream... better life for themselves and their families... they do not dream of controlling everything, or being so rich their great grand kids wont spend it all...

then along the way we let the rich and powerful re-write how you get into congress, we let the rich people dictate the process and we lost our way.

My biggest fever dream is that we may be living in an awakening period... Trump may not be the answer, but he may be what kicks off a new renaissance as we get rid of the corrupt powers in DC... or I could be hallucinating and badly in need of whiskey.

Time will tell...

Sh** will smell...

And water will seek its own level.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Wealth and power...

the average American (in my humble opinion) just wants a shot at the american dream... better life for themselves and their families... they do not dream of controlling everything, or being so rich their great grand kids wont spend it all...

then along the way we let the rich and powerful re-write how you get into congress, we let the rich people dictate the process and we lost our way.

My biggest fever dream is that we may be living in an awakening period... Trump may not be the answer, but he may be what kicks off a new renaissance as we get rid of the corrupt powers in DC... or I could be hallucinating and badly in need of whiskey.

Time will tell...

Sh** will smell...

And water will seek its own level.

I am almost 57 years old, a veteran, and deep into the whiskey at this point of the evening. Trump is definitely not the answer, nor do I think he is the devil either. I personally don't think he gives a rat's ass about the American people, for that fact, neither does McConnell, he is a douche weasel.

My two senators come home and hold meetings, I don't 100% agree with either one, but both actually seem to try to be decent human beings.

I don't agree with all of Paul Ryan's politics, but again think he a relative decent human being.

Trump's lies need to stop, straight up need to stop, I saw an article earlier with 8 of them in his CPAC speech, I am sorry this is not acceptable for any politician.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

If it makes you feel any better, I didnt vote for the guy, did not and still dont trust him... but he is the president for better or for worse and I want him to do well... just like I wanted Obama to do well.

Once I return stateside I plan to work with my party to get our candidates on the ballot in more states next election, I am done with the established parties.

I am running with Veterans party of America till they become corrupted.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

If it makes you feel any better, I didnt vote for the guy, did not and still dont trust him... but he is the president for better or for worse and I want him to do well... just like I wanted Obama to do well.

Once I return stateside I plan to work with my party to get our candidates on the ballot in more states next election, I am done with the established parties.

I am running with Veterans party of America till they become corrupted.

I didn't vote for him either, and don't trust him, but yes he is the commander in chief. I would like to see him be successful, because then America will be successful. I will google your party.

It is unfortunate that more do not understand independents, I voted Obama in 08, had no problem with McCain, his VP choice was a F'n nut job. Voted Obama in 12, Romney is a douche weasel. Voted Johnson in 16, because both major party candidates were flawed.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I can't believe anyone would actually support this. America, I R Disappoint.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Support what? The fact that a gaggle was held with limited space and Spicer chose to let some lesser known journalists and reporters have the seats instead of the usual suspects?

They were free to share the info from the gaggle with all other media. Nobody was prevented from getting the info.

BTW, Obama did the same thing several times...calling a gaggle with liberal only media.

I can't believe you wouldn't support that!
edit on 24-2-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Its all good, the more he acts out, the lower number of people will defend him in the long run.

It's so cute that you think that.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Or the fact some make up excuses for it.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So, how did you feel when this was done in the Obama administration?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: Annee

So, how did you feel when this was done in the Obama administration?

An eye for an eye eventually leaves the world blind........

This deflection needs to stop, "because they did it" is not a valid excuse to continue down the path of destruction.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Support what? The fact that a gaggle was held with limited space and Spicer chose to let some lesser known journalists and reporters have the seats instead of the usual suspects?

They were free to share the info from the gaggle with all other media. Nobody was prevented from getting the info.

BTW, Obama did the same thing several times...calling a gaggle with liberal only media.

I can't believe you wouldn't support that!

No I don't support that you believe all of the lies he spouts. No Obama didn't, he invited folks in for private interviews. Your Orange Messiah is an ass, and he will be taken down.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

No freedoms were denied. What do you not understand about that? They weren't prevented from getting the info from the others that were given a seat.

It was a gaggle....not a press conference. Why does it always have to be the same corporate media bunch that have access?

I see nothing wrong with this at all. I didn't see anything wrong when Obama did it. He's a Dem and his gaggles left out conservative media sources. So? As long as the info is made available afterwards, no harm no foul.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

No different than what Obama did before.
thehill.com...

Relax.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join