It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House hand-picks select media outlets for briefing

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

And so far in two threads now every time I ask for a why... I get a snobbish answer as if I am to dim witted to understand... when I ask for clarification sans hysterics I get told I wont understand it..

I have yet to see a single solitary reason why I should be grabbing my guns and running for a bunker as some of the hysterics have hinted at...

Fine if you do not want/cannot answer can someone else fill me in on how this is undermining the integrity of the nation?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

On the other hand, I think it's better if you don't explain yourself, because it further shows just how clueless you really are.

Nobody is silencing anyone. You should really check what's going on, before just repeating some false narrative you've seen on reddit, or on CNN.

Trump is scared of a fake news outlet that's become a laughing stock of the entire world? Sure thing

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
There's only so much room available for"Very Fake News" producers.Sorry.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm glad you're on the record in support of this travesty though.

I'm glad I'm on the record saying it's about time other media outlets get their day in the sun. If you have 14 seats and a gazillion journalists and news reporters vying for those seats, why not let others beside the "usual suspects" get access? It was a gaggle. It's been done before with Obama's press meetings.

As I said, the day a president shuts out the media altogether, is the day I will raise my voice loud and strong. That is not what this was. No where near it.

Corporatist media in bed with a political agenda don't have to always be the ones that get the "good seats". Sometimes it's good for America to have some of the less tainted media outlets get the seats.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I'm glad you're on the record in support of this travesty though.

I'm glad I'm on the record saying it's about time other media outlets get their day in the sun. If you have 14 seats and a gazillion journalists and news reporters vying for those seats, why not let others beside the "usual suspects" get access? It was a gaggle. It's been done before with Obama's press meetings.

As I said, the day a president shuts out the media altogether, is the day I will raise my voice loud and strong. That is not what this was. No where near it.

Corporatist media in bed with a political agenda don't have to always be the ones that get the "good seats". Sometimes it's good for America to have some of the less tainted media outlets get the seats.

Except Breitbart is tainted. They are biased and sensationalist. LIke the National Enquirer but with less credentials and respect and ethics.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

This little power play by the Trump administration has nothing to do with "fake news". It's all about trying to silence those news outlets that want to ask the tough questions and hold this administration's feet to the fire.

It will backfire though, because there's always going to be reporters/interviewers willing to cross the line on some Sunday morning talk show, with the spot light grabbing, eyebrow raising, "gotcha question", that the White House will eventually have to address.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

We will see going forward, won't we. The National Inquirer was always that tabloid you never bought but read while in line at the super market. But, they have broken lots of stories in recent years. Remember, John Edwards? As they broke more and more stories, people began to take them a bit more seriously.

We have corporatist media in bed with politicians and a globalist agenda. They have become tainted and couldn't care less about the American people and what President Trump is trying to do to strengthen our nation and get us back on track. They are no longer concerned with The American People and their everyday struggles, nor are they concerned about our nation as a sovereign country.

The swamp is full of established liars and leakers and they feel threatened. Their whoredom is about to be revealed and they are writhing like the snakes they are.

It is time to give other media sources an opportunity to report the news truthfully. We need to start paying closer attention and being aware of how the msm skews our news. We can be the judge, but it's going to take honest effort.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Saul Alinsky........hes doing it all play by play.......

Myself and many on this board , blew the horn on this type of stuff by the Obama administration every time it happened....

And now they are fine with it?

It really disgusts me.......

Its Trumps attempt to control the narrative and how its presented......

America fell for that crap before, now to prove that we are even MORE stupid now, than we were then, the ones who saw it for what it was BEFORE are going to buy into it hook line and sinker.

I just cant.....Im honestly debating on just removing myself completely from all political discussion, because it doesnt seem that people are ready yet to actually talk common sense.........

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

And so far in two threads now every time I ask for a why... I get a snobbish answer as if I am to dim witted to understand... when I ask for clarification sans hysterics I get told I wont understand it..

I have yet to see a single solitary reason why I should be grabbing my guns and running for a bunker as some of the hysterics have hinted at...

Fine if you do not want/cannot answer can someone else fill me in on how this is undermining the integrity of the nation?

Firstly, I don't think you're dim-witted and I'm sorry if you got that impression. I meant that you have obviously thought about this, arrived at a conclusion in your thoughts, and what I think is not going to have much influence on that.

Here's what I think. We live in a democracy. A part of that is checks and balances. There has always been a "Balance of Power", and there should always be. The media, whether Trump likes it or not, is a part of that. I think Trump is running scared from The NYT, and CNN, because they don't hesitate to call him out on his behaviors, and the incongruence's among his designated speakers.

Both the NYT and CNN (are widely respected in circles outside of Trump supporters). He wants to cover his mistakes and missteps, and wants to keep them quiet. Like this current misstep with the FBI.

In an earlier interview, Sean Spicer remarked that the administration would "never" shut out the media, because that would be the "beginning of a dictatorship". My my. This seems like a small step in that direction, and it troubles me. Of course it hasn't effected the first amendment, because people can still write they wish. But it has a bad smell, and a bad feel to it. It speaks to his fears.

I wonder though, in this administration, if investigative journalists double down on this story, and try to get to the bottom of it, if anyone will want to discuss it, or fear to, out of concern over losing their jobs.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Some folks here are right and have made good points. There is nothing that requires the President (or his staff) to communicate with the press at all. The Constitution says the press shall be free ... it doesn't say that the President (or anyone else in the government, really) has to tell anyone in the media a blessed thing. That is true.

What is also true is that for over 100 years, members of the White House Press Corps have had access to our Presdiential Administrations. It is tradition, and established practice, and has been so through Presidents from both parties in the most critical of times. It has been accepted that the press is there to keep watch on the workings of the President and his Administration, and work to keep the American people advised as it is considered a long-standing right of the People to be informed.

Some of you posting here today were honest enough to say outright that you are glad that certain members of the Press were kept out of the briefing given today and that is due, if you are honest, to your belief that they are liberal/leftist/Democratic-biased organizations.

And there's some truth to that as well, in some cases. We've all known over the last few decades as American politics has basically split in two, that some of the media outlets cater to "one side" and some the other.

We all know what happened today. The action was symbolic, sure, but telling. The President (and the media that is favorable to him and his agenda) have been promoting this concept of "fake news." And yes, sometimes there are ELEMENTS of publications and broadcasts that have spin. Sometimes, there have been outright misrepresentations ... but we all also know that's not what's being pointed in this "Fake News" campaign that Trump and his media is running and that many here are adhering to faithfully and blindly as you have been conditioned to do.

Yes, we all know what happened today. Yes, the smaller briefings are generally limited, but the way in which this "gaggle" was conducted is a complete departure from tradition and what happened, and the press corps members who were excluded, is a clear message ... this President and this Administration doesn't care about tradition, it doesn't care about fair representation, and most of all, it doesn't care about the truth.

Those of you who see this as some kind of victory against snotty liberals that you've had to put up with all these years, troubling the clear and simple message you get daily from Fox, Breitbart, Townhall, and the rest of the Echo Chamber with those pesky facts ... enjoy your day.

And remember it. This is the day the first tiny step was taken towards pure authoritarianism in the United States of America.

You've all been worried about tyrants in the White House, and now you've got one, and you cheer over his every action.

Funny thing about autocrats though, especially the ego-driven, arrogant, thin-skinned ones ... just because you are in a protected group today doesn't mean you will be tomorrow.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
edit on 24-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I just cant.....Im honestly debating on just removing myself completely from all political discussion, because it doesnt seem that people are ready yet to actually talk common sense.........

I dumped the social media sites, except ATS. I joined 3 local community groups and attend meetings 3 days a week. I volunteer with other local events, working a booth for charity at a Musicfest, this weekend.

Politics sometimes makes its way into the conversation, but is kept at a minimum, and dropped like a hot potato if feathers look like they may be becoming a bit ruffled. Socializing in the real world has restored my faith in people and made me realize that we can't believe the narrative being pushed. The majority of the people are not falling for the crap.

Only about 27 percent.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
Although I doubt they could pull it off, what I think the MSM should do is start an all-out boycott of Trump. Stop covering the WH 100%. Instead, go to heads of the various Departments for 'news'. Scrub Trump's name from the news completely. Keep him off TV. It would drive him frigging crazy. He'd melt-down in 2 days.

I actually think this is a good idea, go to congress, go to cabinet members, ignore Spicer and Trump.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

No worries..

I have no doubt investigative journalists will continue to do their job... over the last 12 years or so when whistle blowers were being punished for doing what they are supposed to do people continued to dig.

I am not concerned about this because at the moment this is a one of...not a trend, not a shut down, not an infringement on their ability to report the news.

This seems like the boy who cried wolf, the man has not even been in office long enough to have a trend beyond sooner or later he says dumb stuff, lets see if he continues down the road before we summon the kracken.

thank you for the reply, I really do appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The fact of the matter is, its the same technique he has used since day 1 of running his campaign.

He has perpetually presented himself as the victim.....

From Media being "unfair"
To questions at debates being "unfair"
To the media coverage being "unfair"
To the time he got to answer questions as "unfair"
To the election being "rigged" before even a single vote was cast.
To even the Republican primaries being "rigged" (notice he won both and people are still buying his bs)
To him not getting enough news coverage

etc etc etc adnauseum

I have never seen a president or candidate ever be a victim so much in my life, and damn sure not in US history of elections.....

This is just another extension of his narrative that hes a "victim", its just another way to shut down the discussion, keep the people out who he doesnt want involved, and INVALIDATE anything that is said about him.

And his supporters are eating it up......

For a guy who they tout as "Tough" and "Doesnt take no crap" he sure as hell whines a lot, and damn sure cant hold up to any criticism......

And look, enough with the "fake news" , If the reason was true , that he just doesnt want "Fake news"companies in there to report false information, Dont you think that it would be pretty easy to make them look like idiots, by exposing the TRUTH when they report it erroneously?

YES IT WOULD, and it would make him look better, but we ALL know that is not the reason Trump doesnt want them in there.......Trump wants an echo chamber, Trumps wants people in there that will tow his line and his message, TRUMP wants to control the narrative.....

With the BS excuses Trump supporters.....PLEASE start looking at this stuff through the lens of common sense
(not referring to you Gryph)
edit on 2/24/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I dumped the social media sites, except ATS. I joined 3 local community groups and attend meetings 3 days a week. I volunteer with other local events, working a booth for charity at a Musicfest, this weekend.

Politics sometimes makes its way into the conversation, but is kept at a minimum, and dropped like a hot potato if feathers look like they may be becoming a bit ruffled. Socializing in the real world has restored my faith in people and made me realize that we can't believe the narrative being pushed. The majority of the people are not falling for the crap.

Only about 27 percent.

Yeah im very very active in the community, and honestly my experience is about on par with yours, people in person generally do not want to talk about it from what I have seen, at least not at any depth or length.

Thank god for that respite huh ?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This infighting and partisan bull# in the U.S. is a massive distraction from something much more profound. The distraction is preventing people from realizing something on a much greater scale, something that is fairly imminent.

Libro Libramentum

edit on 24-2-2017 by CreationBro because: we dream of ways to break these iron bars

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

No worries, MBTM. I grok.

Careful though ... you're going to get labled as one of those durn librals.

Can't offer facts and rationality in the face of what Dear Leader tells us.

(Actually, you're right, spot on, and I'm very very happy that you are here as one of our very few real Conservatives.)

We're going to need all the common sense we can get.
edit on 24-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

locking out journalism so that he can talk only with people that agree with him

How about locking out journalism so that he can talk only with people that will report exactly what was said?

He did warn them to be forthright and honest or else. To put it another way, don't piss on the Presidents foot and expect an invitation to the party. After all, he is the President of the United States of America and therefore the most powerful man in the world.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

No worries, MBTM. I grok.

Careful though ... you're going to get labled as one of those durn librals.

Can't offer facts and rationality in the face of what Dear Leader tells us.

(Actually, you're right, spot on, and I'm very very happy that you are here as one of our very few real Conservatives.)

We're going to need all the common sense we can get.

Buddy if speaking Truth to power gets me labeled as a liberal along side others doing the same, then by golly let them. LoL

Ill stand beside you guys all day long!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

The fact of the matter is, its the same technique he has used since day 1 of running his campaign.

He has perpetually presented himself as the victim.....

From Media being "unfair"
To questions at debates being "unfair"
To the media coverage being "unfair"
To the time he got to answer questions as "unfair"
To the election being "rigged" before even a single vote was cast.
To even the Republican primaries being "rigged" (notice he won both and people are still buying his bs)
To him not getting enough news coverage

etc etc etc adnauseum

I have never seen a president or candidate ever be a victim so much in my life, and damn sure not in US history of elections.....

This is just another extension of his narrative that hes a "victim", its just another way to shut down the discussion, keep the people out who he doesnt want involved, and INVALIDATE anything that is said about him.

And his supporters are eating it up......

For a guy who they tout as "Tough" and "Doesnt take no crap" he sure as hell whines a lot, and damn sure cant hold up to any criticism......

And look, enough with the "fake news" , If the reason was true , that he just doesnt want "Fake news"companies in there to report false information, Dont you think that it would be pretty easy to make them look like idiots, by exposing the TRUTH when they report it erroneously?

YES IT WOULD, and it would make him look better, but we ALL know that is not the reason Trump doesnt want them in there.......Trump wants an echo chamber, Trumps wants people in there that will tow his line and his message, TRUMP wants to control the narrative.....

With the BS excuses Trump supporters.....PLEASE start looking at this stuff through the lens of common sense

Thank you MBTM, that was an excellent post. I would not be able to be that eloquent without 4 letter words.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join