It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions’ Coming War on Legal Marijuana (Is Here)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

billionaires have to keep billionaires from not being billionaires anymore.

why do you think the private prisons systems are rejuvenated and will be back in full swing more than ever.
they had to make this clear first before planning the attack on marijuana legalization.
now the class 1 propaganda begins.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile
You are right there. There is certainly a battle gearing up.

Washington state will resist federal crackdown on legal weed, AG Ferguson says

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Cannabis represents multiple problems to our controllers. (Disclaimer: I live in Holland and it's so-called tolerant policy is just a shambles, depending on the province you live in)

Firstly, it is a drug. Just like alcohol, nicotine, caffeine and all the pharmaceutical crap. Many people use the drug angle to say "It's inherently bad, therefore we must ban it." This is obviously and demonstrably stupid. Alcohol kills more people, along with nicotine and pharmaceutical drugs than Cannabis could ever hope to do on a really bad day.

Secondly, it is banned via UN membership rules. (Psychotropic substances. I have read that the "rules" also allow members to unban it but no nation has ever done so except possibly Paraguay or Uruguay, I forget which but it is legal there) So the UN is also a major player in the war. Good luck with that!

Thirdly, viewing Cannabis legality as a way to hike prices, impose taxes and control it is a bad idea. I have no problem with a small tax but letting the government impose the pricing model is never a good idea. It is for many a medicine, even when used recreationally. Without it being freely accessible, many people turn to other drugs. Cannabis is not a gateway drug, it has been used as a gatekeeper drug since almost 100 years. Some people need/want a release every once in a while. If they cannot get a gentle (read Cannabis) release, they will turn to heavier, harder and nastier drugs instead. I've seen it with my own eyes in 2 different countries. "Oh, no weed, gimme a hit of something else then..."

I'm all for weed, but not on their terms. I should be allowed to grow and smoke what I want, when I want, within certain guidelines. If you harm no-one, then there should be no government imposed rules. However, even growing your own tobacco in certain countries requires you to report it to the government and pay duty. I kid you not.

Snap back to reality, we have no rights, no say and no player in the game. Until that changes, it will remain illegal or at best, tolerated in small amounts, in certain places and only under certain conditions. The people should and must demand their rights to personal choice, instead of ask for them politely. But hey, stoners...

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined

Thank you, the legalize it folks financially got the right leverage, they made it a money and jobs issue more than the freedom issue.

Kinda hard to ignore those amount of facts.

if the fed thinks that states will give up millions of dollars in tax revenue from MJ without a fight,they have a huge surprise coming.

All politicians from both sides of the aisle are addicted to tax revenue,they can never get enough of it, and try to take some of that tax money away from them? pffft good luck.
edit on 24-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Lets see, the Democrats wanted legal pot so they could use our use of it to take away our guns. The Republicans want to make it illegal and to allow us to have guns, but only if we are not criminals.

The conspiracy theories on Marijuana use taking away the right to bear arms is probably real. It is the Democratic way to accomplish it. You should never be shooting when you are under the influence of a drug or alcohol.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Sessions is going to try to step on multimillion dollar industry when he has the power to remove marijuana from schedule 1 status.

Seems like a fight he shouldn't pick.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Totally against this one. War on drugs is over. We lost. Make them all legal and reduce crime associated with drug sellers. It's a medical addiction issue, not a criminal issue.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: incepticus

So you're blaming one or two men for institutional agendas (i.e. "private prisons", "war on drugs"). Those institutions are the work of tens of thousands of people, some of those people are very powerful and make a lot of money; so much power and money that they can keep those institutions alive.

????

Are you saying that the President has no Power to scale back private prisons?
Or to choose not to supersede state law with federal laws and crack down on state legalization of Marijuana?

BOTH of those ideas were disproved by President Obama..

AUGUST 2016
Obama administration to phase out some private prison use

www.bigstory.ap.org...

YESTERDAY
The U.S. Justice Department has reversed an order by the Obama administration to phase out the use of private contractors to run federal prisons.

In a memo made public on Thursday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions...

www.cnbc.com...

On Pot...
The Obama Administration deprioritized enforcement of federal laws around marijuana and even (upon request) filed legal briefs with SCOTUS explaining that the Feds should allow for states to decide for themselves on Marijuana..

Obama admin weighs in on legalized marijuana at the Supreme Court
www.cnn.com...

August 2016
Obama’s New Medical Marijuana Policy Could Lead to Federal Legalization
www.slate.com...

August 2016
Obama: Prohibition ‘Not Tenable’ If States Legalize Cannabis on Tuesday
www.leafly.com...

A President CAN and DOES decide how much the federal government prosecutes and focuses on given laws.
A President can't change the laws (that is congress)

Obama respected States rights to choose around Marijuana legalization.
Trump with Sessions is reversing that.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The only thing going for your analysis is that both sanctuary cities and legalizing pot are popular liberal causes, but even your two maps don't align completely.

If you look at it as a "pot" issue, you're probably right. But looking at it as a general criminal issue; it's clear that high population cities, in states with legalized or decriminalized marijuana, have the most illegal immigrants. Indisputable fact.
time.com...

This is because marijuana legalization also transcends partisan divides on many age levels. It is really just the deep red parts of the country that are against it.

If what you say is true, then it should be legal nationwide. We the people are in power, right? Last I checked, "deep red parts" don't run the country. More than likely it has something to do with people actually in power creating situations for themselves that are very profitable; perhaps making money by imprisoning "felon" users and distributors of "Schedule I" drugs. And if they could buy equipment and supplies for at least 15,000 new ICE and Customs agents off their pals at government contractors for the next 4 years... that's just two birds with one stone.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Sessions is going to try to step on multimillion dollar industry when he has the power to remove marijuana from schedule 1 status.

Seems like a fight he shouldn't pick.

It is not a whim to him. Sessions has had a life long thing against Marijuana. He is a full-on "war on drugs" AG.

Two items:

Under President Barack Obama's administration, the legal marijuana industry has grown rapidly in the U.S. That's due, in large part, to the fact that the Justice Department under Attorneys General Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch has generally declined to challenge states' marijuana laws.

And, in 2014, Congress passed a spending bill prohibiting the Justice Department from using federal funds to go after marijuana programs that comply with their respective state's laws. (That bill remains in effect, though it needs to be renewed annually and could face a challenge from the new administration.)

fortune.com...

Sessions in April 2016

At a Senate drug hearing in April, Sessions said that “we need grown-ups in charge in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized, it ought not to be minimized, that it’s in fact a very real danger.”

“I think one of [Obama's] great failures, it's obvious to me, is his lax treatment in comments on marijuana,” Sessions said at the hearing. “It reverses 20 years almost of hostility to drugs that began really when Nancy Reagan started ‘Just Say No.’ ”

government needed to foster “knowledge that this drug is dangerous, you cannot play with it, it is not funny, it’s not something to laugh about . . . and to send that message with clarity that good people don’t smoke marijuana.”

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

If you look at it as a "pot" issue, you're probably right. But looking at it as a general criminal issue; it's clear that high population cities, in states with legalized or decriminalized marijuana, have the most illegal immigrants. Indisputable fact.
time.com...

You mean areas with more people have higher crime rates? You don't say... Still not seeing your logic on how you can compare a state government to a city government, by the way.

If what you say is true, then it should be legal nationwide. We the people are in power, right? Last I checked, "deep red parts" don't run the country. More than likely it has something to do with people actually in power creating situations for themselves that are very profitable; perhaps making money by imprisoning "felon" users and distributors of "Schedule I" drugs. And if they could buy equipment and supplies for at least 15,000 new ICE and Customs agents off their pals at government contractors for the next 4 years... that's just two birds with one stone.

The marijuana issue is stark evidence of how the government doesn't care about voter wants if corporate interests say otherwise.
edit on 24-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

time.com...

Slow that BS down...

Yes...Places with higher population densities...Like effen cities...have more illegal immigrants..they also have more plumbers, white people, Gastroenterologists..And every other type of person...cuz cities have greater population density!

There is no correlation between illegal immigrants and legalization.
Colorado, Alaska, Maine, Mass, Oregon, Washington...etc????

www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 24-2-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
IN NO WAY DOES THE FOLLOW COMMENT CONDONE OR ENCOURAGE THE USE OF ILLEGAL NARCOTICS

Gota put my two agarotes worth in (Hebrew pennies).
Why are none of you researching / posting the privatized prison slave labor statistics.
7 cents a hour wages for Vics, corporations make millions, and the states get little to nothing of the revenue.

Just Imagine, a bunch of old gray headed former dope smokers are doing all of this.

Vintage 60s jungle chant:

Roll, roll ,roll your smoke
Take a sip of wine
Take a toke and hold your smoke
And blow your foxtrotting mind

Buck

edit on 24-2-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

And this...

WASHINGTON — Private prison companies, which stand to make big gains under President Trump’s tough new immigration orders, also have contributed big sums to pro-Trump groups, including the organization that raised a record $100 million for his inauguration last month.

GEO Group, one of the nation’s largest for-profit prison operators, donated $250,000 to support Trump’s inaugural festivities, Pablo Paez, the company’s vice president of corporate relations, told USA TODAY.

That’s on top of the $225,000 that a company subsidiary donated to a super PAC that spent some $22 million to help elect the real-estate magnate.

Another prison operator, CoreCivic, gave $250,000 to support Trump’s inauguration, recently filed congressional reports show.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

The flat-line to uptick represents when Donald won.
Prison stock rebounds

Daily stock price of the GEO Group, one of the largest private prison operators in the U.S.:

www.usatoday.com...
edit on 24-2-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
... Still not seeing your logic on how you can compare a state government to a city government, by the way.

Federal law "trumps" both, heh.

The marijuana issue is stark evidence of how the government doesn't care about voter wants if corporate interests say otherwise.

We are a comfy corporatocracy.

originally posted by: Indigo5
Yes...Places with higher population densities...Like effen cities...have more illegal immigrants..they also have more plumbers, white people, Gastroenterologists..And every other type of person...cuz cities have greater population density!

With so many people, they sound like great places to send large teams of federal agents if you want to imprison or deport individuals breaking federal laws.

There is no correlation between illegal immigrants and legalization.
Colorado, Alaska, Main, Mass, Oregon, Washington...etc????

www.businessinsider.com...

I already posted a Time article addressing this: "Majority of America's Undocumented Immigrants Live in 20 Urban Areas". Let's say you made personal profit every time you imprisoned someone on the federal level, or sold supplies to the federal government... where would you focus your efforts to maximize profits? Probably areas with the largest amount of people breaking FEDERAL laws.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Just coincidence I'm sure...

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I don't want to derail the thread but it's funny what the Administration thinks should be States rights to determine and what shouldn't be. These turds need to be flushed.

This was my first thought when I started reading this thread - I thought Trump was a big States Rights guy! Why is it that, in his opinion, states should determine their own laws in regards to abortion and gay rights, but yet the Feds are going to stick their noses in on their own laws in regards to legal weed... and don't forget, the people of these states actually voted in favor of it. It wasn't chosen by legislators or judges, but the people themselves!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Yea they are giddy with themselves right now. An authoritarian is in charge, thus they know they'll be needed.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
If Trump goes through with this, over 100,000 people stand to lose their jobs and be made into criminals overnight.

This is called progress in Trumps America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join