It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions’ Coming War on Legal Marijuana (Is Here)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
A while back I authored a thread that was a repost of a Politico article about Jeff Sessions' coming war on legal pot. First off, I told you so. Now with that out of the way, I'm not looking to really rub this in people's faces. We all need to brace for the coming assault on our liberty.

Now there isn't a followup Politico article for this conversation, but so much happened over the last 24 hours that I at least should do a followup. Before we continue, I'd like to note that I am not talking specifically about Spicer's comments here. Yes, I'll be mentioning them, but this thread exists as a means to consolidate a few developments over the last few days. So let's begin.

First off. Quinnipac just released a poll showing that the majority of Americans don't want the Federal government to interfere in States' marijuana operations. This poll was released yesterday, if you are wondering.

The government should not enforce federal laws against marijuana in states that have legalized medical or recreational marijuana use, voters say 71 - 23 percent. Voters in every listed group support this position.

Note the bold. That means that this isn't a partisan issue.

Also of note, support for legal pot is still holding strong over 50%. Though it is still a partisan issue.

Marijuana should be made legal in the U.S., voters say 59 - 36 percent. Republicans are opposed 61 - 35 percent and voters over 65 years old are opposed 51 - 42 percent. Every other party, gender, education, age and racial group listed supports legalized marijuana.

Next we look at Sessions' *ahem* Spicers' remarks. There is already a thread or two on this so we won't discuss this topic that long. Here's the line:

"I do believe you will see greater enforcement of it,"

Spicer said this just hours after the Quinnipac poll came. Now we all know how Trump feels about polls, so clearly that didn't sway their opinions in the slightest. I've heard that Spicer may have been in conflict with the Justice Department. That story is still developing and may be hearsay though. However the most infuriateing part about Spicer's words is how he used the Gateway drug analogy by blaming legal weed on the opiate addiction (which is the fault of pharmaceutical companies and doctors with loose scripts).

On the next front, we have the private prison issue (this is a pretty good thread on the matter so I just linked it instead of a news article). This is already a problem with illegal immigrants being mistreated by them, and now we are going to be filling them with "druggies". This is some fun news:
Private prison stocks soar after Jeff Sessions rescinds Obama order that curtailed their use

Now, as not to sound too alarming here, let's return to the US Today article I posted previously in the thread. This article brings up a good counter point that I want to leave with so things don't look all dark and gloomy.

“I don't think it's realistic for Trump to wage an all-out war against recreational marijuana,” said Aaaron Herzber, a partner and general counsel at CalCann Holdings in Santa Ana, Calif. “My guess is that this is saber rattling.”

Posse Comitatus forum will be making a comeback in a big way with Sessions as the AG. Ugh...

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't want to derail the thread but it's funny what the Administration thinks should be States rights to determine and what shouldn't be. These turds need to be flushed.
edit on 2/24/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Hopefully, Trump sticks to his guns about letting the states handle things like this.
It would be a shame if the new regime cherry picks what issues are to be left to the states and what ones the federal gov't will enforce.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

For real. How can you come out as a champion on States' rights for Trans rights but demand federal enforcement for marijuana? That has Sessions' stink all over it.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

Hopefully, Trump sticks to his guns about letting the states handle things like this.
It would be a shame if the new regime cherry picks what issues are to be left to the states and what ones the federal gov't will enforce.

Well he should fire Sessions immediately then.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

So you're blaming one or two men for institutional agendas (i.e. "private prisons", "war on drugs"). Those institutions are the work of tens of thousands of people, some of those people are very powerful and make a lot of money; so much power and money that they can keep those institutions alive.

The AG doesn't make any laws or amendments. The AG can only abide by what already exists.

At the end of the day, I feel like this is a show of force towards sanctuary cities. If you correlate legalization with sanctuary cities, they are essentially one in the same. I don't think it's a coincidence.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Sessions is a world-class do#che bag. Why anyone would hire a southern ,good ol boy dinosaur to be A.G. is beyond my comprehension. Even 90% of the Republicans did a face-palm when he was selected.

The fact Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug is proof big pharmaceutical companies paid to keep the opioid zombies well stocked.
I could go on for hours about this retarded point of view, but don't want to ruin your thread.
9 times out of 10 I would argue tooth and nail with you, but on this subject, I am most definitely on your side!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: incepticus
At the end of the day, I feel like this is a show of force towards sanctuary cities. If you correlate legalization with sanctuary cities, they are essentially one in the same. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Why would you correlate legalization with sanctuary cities? Legalization happens on the state level, and sanctuary cities are on the city level. Sounds like a false correlation if I ever heard one.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Let's see, we're trillion of dollars in debt, and Mr. Sessions wants to remove the ability to produce hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue alone from just one state, let alone all other states wanting to legalize it.

Seems to me like he may be looking for a new job if he does anything stupid.

You have to remember, it's not just stoned hippies and young folks interested in MJ, the companies and venture capitalists have descended upon the MJ industry and they have those lobbyists they need to get what they want.

One of the few times I actually am rooting for lobbyists.

If you want to overhaul our infrastructure, you're going to have to legalize it, because were else are we going to get the funds?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

cis.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Marijuana isn't legal in Illinois, ND, Wyoming, Florida, or any state in the NE that isn't Mass. Kind of shoots your argument in the crapper. Like I said, you made a false correlation.
edit on 24-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

This! So much this! There is a quite a bit of money invested in this up-and-coming industry. Plus it is a HUGE job creator and will continue to be one as more and more states legalize. How can you, as a President that campaigned on new jobs, support the idea of clamping down on creating new manufacturing jobs?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Here, this one will tie everything together for you.

rebrn.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

9 times out of 10 I would argue tooth and nail with you, but on this subject, I am most definitely on your side!

Agreed!

Government needs to BTFO. Either Federally legalize it or make it a state issue.

And this is from someone who lost more in the rug than most have smoked, but has not partaken in a couple decades.

edit on 2 24 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Thank you, the legalize it folks financially got the right leverage, they made it a money and jobs issue more than the freedom issue.

Kinda hard to ignore those amount of facts.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

It is not often I S&F your threads but I agree with you here Krazy.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Here, this one will tie everything together for you.

rebrn.com...

Showing me stats and data doesn't magically create a logical argument that allows you to correlate something that shares no demonstrable correlation. The only thing going for your analysis is that both sanctuary cities and legalizing pot are popular liberal causes, but even your two maps don't align completely. This is because marijuana legalization also transcends partisan divides on many age levels. It is really just the deep red parts of the country that are against it.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Sessions won't do anything until and unless Trump decides he needs to grease geriatric evangelicals for their already waning support for his presidency.

Same s# Nixon pulled.

But if and when a fight over states' rights comes in a purple haze of incense and patchouli oil, I won't be able to ignore the irony nor suppress my juvenile amusement.
edit on 2/24/17 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I understand your concern, but this is how I look at it. It doesn't matter what Sessions does, the states have had a taste of those tax dollars, they WILL NOT give that up just because he wants them to. In fact, in the long run, I'm expecting more and more states to want to take a bite of those tax dollars as well.

Sure, there will be plenty of states that demonize the plant, no matter it's medicinal uses, but the ones that are already allowing it won't change it.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined

Thank you, the legalize it folks financially got the right leverage, they made it a money and jobs issue more than the freedom issue.

Kinda hard to ignore those amount of facts.

And that was the beauty. Arguments like this allow it to transcend partisan divides. That is why if Sessions continues with this lunacy, it will back fire on him spectacularly.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join