It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tucker Carlson Absolutely Destroys DNC Advisor On TRANS Science

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Why can't they use the bathroom of the gender that they are biologically. How is that so hard , use whatever bathroom that is on you ID. It's that easy.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

That's a pure cop-out answer ... here, I'll do the work for you ...

American Psychiatric Association "What is Gender Dysphoria?" (Includes DSM information)

The word "Disorder" was removed from the description in the DSM V for an obvious reason.

You might as well argue that variant sexual orientations are also mental illness ... because that we the position of the APA until 1973.

By your logic, you are just as ill as any trans person.

Also ...

American Psychological Association - Statement on Transgender, Gender Identity & Gender Expression Non-Discrimination

Whereas the American Psychological Association opposes prejudice and discrimination based on demographic characteristics including gender identity, as reflected in policies including the Hate Crimes Resolution (Paige, 2005), the Resolution on Prejudice Stereotypes and Discrimination (Paige, 2007), APA Bylaws (Article III, Section 2), the Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct (APA 2002, 3.01 and Principle E);

Notice the word demographic is used ... not pathology, malady, illness.

Demographic is a quantifier of societal categories.

edit on 24-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: NBoted

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

Why can't they use the bathroom of the gender that they are biologically. How is that so hard , use whatever bathroom that is on you ID. It's that easy.

Because when you look like this...

...and you go into the men's room, you are more likely to get attacked/raped by the men in there,

and when you look like this...

... and you go into the women's room, you are more likely to get beaten up by the men who see you go in there...

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Why do you care where people use the bathroom?

Mind your own business; how is that so hard?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm gonna say that Zac Petkanas was definitely the wrong person to put in this position.

He is an activist, not a hard core debater.

Putting someone like this up against Tucker was a stupid move.

However, Tucker never denied Gender Dysphoria, he only asked for scientific/medical proof/confirmation.

--------------------------------------

Tucker is not backing up the posters in this thread who are claiming it isn't real.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

When did you become the dictator of free speech? It is our business when our kids have to share a public bathroom with someone suffering from psychosis thinking they're the opposite sex of what they actually are. Maybe we should start letting the psychopath's out of their mental hospitals because in their head they aren't pychopath's at all.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

What an ignorant post. People with psychosis are in mental hospitals because mental health professionals put them there. Mental health professionals say that people with gender dysphoria are not psychopaths, that's why they don't put them in mental hospitals.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

When did you become the dictator of free speech? It is our business when our kids have to share a public bathroom with someone suffering from psychosis thinking they're the opposite sex of what they actually are. Maybe we should start letting the psychopath's out of their mental hospitals because in their head they aren't pychopath's at all.

Can you folks do anything without ridiculous exaggeration?

No, I'm not the dictator of free speech.

No, your kids don't have to share a public restroom with anyone suffering from psychosis.

You're about 35 years too late on letting folks out of the mental hospitals, Ronald Reagan did that for you in the 1980s.

I'm going to repeat this basic fact again: transgender folks do not have any sort of mental disorder because of their gender identity. This is according to the majority of American physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists and public health workers.

You can continue to believe that of course ... but your belief is based in blatant error. Do what ever you feel necessary to keep your kids safe, but this kind of blatant ignorance of scientific fact should have no bearing on public policy.
edit on 24-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66
Thank you for your opinion.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Anytime.

PS: Educate yourself. There is no reason to fear what you fear in this issue.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Yes, well, the APA's official position is that for any psychological condition to be a "mental disorder," it must cause distress or disability. Effectively, they are leaving it up to the mentally ill to decide if they are mentally ill. You tell me how well that works out when we are talking about certain categories of mental disorder like pedophilia.

Do we want to go to the point where we only call a pedo mentally disordered if he or she thinks they are instead of pretty universally agreeing that pedophilia is a mental disorder because it tends to lead people to prey on children? Some people are arguing that we should stop stigmatizing it and that it can be a victimless crime these days.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

What an ignorant post. People with psychosis are in mental hospitals because mental health professionals put them there. Mental health professionals say that people with gender dysphoria are not psychopaths, that's why they don't put them in mental hospitals.

What's ignorant is allowing people to change their gender on a whim. As Tucker Carlson pointed out, where does it end? Can I just all of a sudden start saying I identify as a women and just start going into womens restrooms for a free peep show? Hell, I could be a child molester that hasn't been caught yet, change my gender and start going into public restrooms for easy targets. The left has gone full retard I swear.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Anytime.

PS: Educate yourself. There is no reason to fear what you fear in this issue.

Yes there is, now you go educate yourself.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, well, the APA's official position is that for any psychological condition to be a "mental disorder," it must cause distress or disability. Effectively, they are leaving it up to the mentally ill to decide if they are mentally ill. You tell me how well that works out when we are talking about certain categories of mental disorder like pedophilia.

Do we want to go to the point where we only call a pedo mentally disordered if he or she thinks they are instead of pretty universally agreeing that pedophilia is a mental disorder because it tends to lead people to prey on children? Some people are arguing that we should stop stigmatizing it and that it can be a victimless crime these days.

No one is "leaving it up to the mentally ill" ... that's just a ludicrous and unhelpful oversimplification.

If you don't know more about the therapeutic and diagnostic process than to post something as distant from basic reality as that, please educate yourself before posting.

You seem to think that there are only two categories, mentally well and mentally ill. Or at least, that's your rhetorical stance.

That too is woefully ignorant. Psychiatry and psychology recognize a spectrum of mental health and illness, although I know that you prefer the simpler false dichotomies that let you say it's "either this or that."

Again, is arachnophobia a mental disorder? It's in the DSM as well. It is classified as a mental "illness" in that it causes pain and distress.

So tell me Kets ... someone who is skittish of spiders, or heights, or close spaces ... these folks all have "mental disorders" as well?

BS.

Aaand there you go AGAIN ... you just can't help make the comparison here to pedophilia in this context can you? That's just in your DNA it seems.

You know pedophilia isn't comparable in any sense to gender identity or sexual orientation.

Pedophilia is a paraphilia ... which by definition is excessively harmful either to oneself or other people.

The DSM-IV-TR describes paraphilias as "recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges or behaviors generally involving nonhuman objects, the suffering or humiliation of oneself or one's partner, or children or other nonconsenting persons that occur over a period of six months"

Source

No one of credible background is suggesting that we decriminalize child abuse.

But you managed to get it into the conversation none the less. Good for you.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
NM

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
In bed this morning, as my eyes cracked open to realize the sun was shining and it was probably time to get up, I rolled over and hit this site on my phone as I often do as the vacuum tubes of thought process warm up to normal operating temperature.

For the last several days, I've been involved in two other antagonistic threads talking about trans issues and wanted to see if there were new posts and then I found and read this one. Oh boy!

Kaylaluv and Gryphon are both spot on. I was warmed by a few comments from others as well but overall, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness at the preponderance of uninformed ignorance of what being trans is like and at some of the attitudes from people based on falsehoods and misconceptions. I had a sense of dread at once again feeling an obligation to get involved when it seems there is so much negativity and even hostility expressed by those gripped by fear and ignorance of those different from themselves.

Nothing I've ever written here or probably ever will can convey to people the experience of being trans and living with gender dysphoria. What it is like being that five year old kid trying to tell their parents. What it is like going through elementary school bewildered by the torment, abuse and ridicule of others. What it is like at puberty as the very vessel that houses your spirit and soul turns against you in what feels like the most gruesome torture. What it is like in high school to be shunned, ostracized and beaten nearly to death and hospitalized by others that didn't understand and what it is like to go through the challenges and physical process of changing social gender and physical sex. None of this was of my choosing but yet a fight I fought in order to survive.

After reading this thread, I rolled back over and sobbed quietly. As the tears filled my eyes and rolled down my cheeks, I questioned seriously why I continue to even come to this site and face these opinions and attitudes that seem like something out of my past fifty years ago. Ignorance and misguided opinions are hurtful and depressing and seem to be expressed with total disregard for people like me.

It gets very hard to be here sometimes. Please consider the things you say about issues you don't fully comprehend and the way you say them. It doesn't make for an environment conducive to learning from those that do know what they're talking about or help others live up to this site's motto to deny ignorance.

What's funny is that I'm sure many of you are good and loving people that would do a complete turnaround if you had to deal with raising a transgender child. I suspect know some would lose their child to the streets or suicide. It's all very sad.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Tucker should have interviewed Johanna Olson or Ben Barres.

Johanna Olson, MD, medical director of the Center for Transyouth Health and Development at CHLA as a subject matter expert. In this post, she answers common questions that parents may have about transgender care for children.

What is Transgender? “Transgender” is a broad term that describes the experience of individuals who have an internal gender identity that differs from the sex they were assigned at birth. Gender identity is an individuals’ internal sense of maleness, femaleness, both or neither. What causes a person who is born female to identify as male, or vice versa?

DR. OLSON: We don’t know what causes someone to be transgender, but what we’re learning as we’re putting the pieces together is that there are likely many factors. Genetics, hormones or other elements likely play a role. The information that is being discovered now is indicating that the neural wiring in a transgender person’s brain looks more similar to their gender of identity rather than their gender of assignment at birth. What this means is that gender identity is most likely developing in the womb. Much more needs to be explored in order to understand gender identity information.

The Center for Transyouth Health and Development cares for young people, but is it more common to see people make a physical gender transition later in life?

DR. OLSON: People’s life situations are so individual that the ability to transition is different for everyone. Transition occurs most commonly in adulthood because of lack of access to services, information and language to discuss gender. As time goes on, I think transition in youth will become more common than transition in adulthood. We are starting to see the balance shift right now.

Understanding Gender Identification What are signs that parents should look for to know if their child might benefit from services like those offered by the Center for Transyouth Health and Development?

DR. OLSON: Children tell us about their gender in a lot of ways. It is important for us to listen to what our kids are saying by paying attention to their behaviors and their words. Examples of behaviors indicating distress include kids who are having trouble navigating public spaces or sex-segregated spaces like locker rooms, or kids who are unhappy about their bodies for a variety of reasons. Clothing is a big area where children will signal that their gender identity is different from their assigned gender. Assigned boys might want to wear dresses or skirts, grow their hair long and ask for things that allow them to be perceived as a girl. Assigned girls may refuse to wear dresses, and prefer boys’ underwear and swim trunks. Many times, parents will think that these behaviors are a phase, caused by having older siblings of the opposite sex, for example. Children may also explore gender online through the use of avatars or via video games. www.chla.org...

edit on 24-2-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

I wish there was something I could say that would make a difference.

What is even harder (harsher?) to understand are folks who are members of a demographic, or were until a few years ago, that has also been historically discredited, ridiculed, shut out of equal treatment, arrested, subjected to electro-shock, lobotomized, etc. take these same obnoxious positions.

Mental illness. Feh. 1 in 5 Americans are statistically mentally ill. Personality disorders are none too hard for an experienced eye to pick out among the people posting here.

I really can't decide what's worse, the folks who are obviously so ignorant that they simply can't understand the issue and react out of fear and disgust ... or the one's who obviously know better.

All I can say is ... time and tide. To everything there is a season, and a purpose to everything under the heavens.

A time of greater equality and evolution for all will come again.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: ColdWisdom

My daughter spoke in complete sentences when she was 2 years old. She also knew what a woman was at age 2.

Speaking generally, girls tend to be verbal earlier than boys. It makes sense that this trans child has the brain of a girl.

Women tend to start talking earlier than men and then never shut up.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
... and on that one I'm out ...

Good luck all.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join