It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa revives 'weird life forms' trapped inside crystals for 60,000 years, raising hopes of finding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Lifeforms which have been living inside crystals for up to 60,000 years have been revived by NASA, raising hopes that alien organisms could be found in extreme environments on other planets.

Penelope Boston, the director of NASA's Astrobiology Institute, and her team have spent years exploring Mexico's Naica Mine in Chihuahua looking for extremophiles, which contain caves as large as cathedrals.

The mine is filled with giant gypsum crystals which look so extraordinary that when Dr Boston first saw a picture, she assumed it had was a Photoshop hoax.

But more astounding, was that inside the crystals, tiny bugs were discovered in a state of 'geolatency' - where living organisms remain viable in geological materials for long periods of time.

Nasa revives 'weird life forms' trapped inside crystals for 60,000 years, raising hopes of finding alien organisms in space

This is amazing. Reviving bacterial bugs that have been hibernating for 60,000 years? How can anyone deny the existence of life outside of our own planet? If bacteria can live in an environment this harsh feeding off of inorganic minerals and compounds there is no doubt there are other life forms outside of our solar system. We humans are nothing more than a mathematical probability.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Nasa don't want to get the funding cut by Trump so now the discoveries just start rolling in.

Even if this is the case its still pretty cool stuff coming out.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

Pretty extraordinary, as long as none of them are baby Cloverfields, happy days.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well, if this is the case, then something could have come to this planet from elsewhere trapped in crystals to start life too. Or maybe it has been coming here all along, meaning the diversity we have here is not all related to each other.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
One step closer to the Zombie apocalypse thank you God!!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

meaning the diversity we have here is not all related to each other

Considering some of the things that live around volcanic vents at the bottom of the oceans, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

That's exactly the thought that popped into my head when I read the article.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Heck their is a type of mold in Chernobyl that lives off of gamma radiation.

To quote Jurassic park

"Life finds a way"

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13
We humans are nothing more than a mathematical probability.

And if we are a mathematical probability can you tell me how probable we'd be on another planet with a different experience?

There's nothing probable about us. Life is exceptional.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

We humans are nothing more than a mathematical probability.

And if we are a mathematical probability can you tell me how probable we'd be on another planet with a different experience?

There's nothing probable about us. Life is exceptional.

What is the probability that you would be sitting there, at this very moment, a human typing on your keyboard and reading this on your monitor ...on planet Earth??
100%
The probability of what is, every moment, being what is, is 100%!
There is no alternative to Reality! *__-

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, if this is the case, then something could have come to this planet from elsewhere trapped in crystals to start life too. Or maybe it has been coming here all along, meaning the diversity we have here is not all related to each other.

Genetics, DNA, and taxonomic flow tell a different story ... if life came from another planet it came a long, long, long time ago and it's genetic lineage was wiped out along the way during a mass extinction somewhere.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Actually, there is every reason to believe that ALL the lifeforms on our planet arise from the same general pool. However, it is probable that life originating on this planet, is constructed from building blocks that arrived here some time after the planets crust had begun to cool.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

If you look at bacteria, they are sharing antibiotic resistance information with each other, this is a new discovery but it has probably always been happening. Just because we did not know this does not mean it was not happening. If this sharing of genetic traits is done at the simplest of life forms, it may have happened throughout all life forms over the life of the earth. We build up immunity to microbes within generations, sometimes within one generation. Most animals and plants adapt, if they don't they go extinct.

What we don't know overpowers what we know by a thousand fold. Man thinks he knows a lot but we actually know almost nothing. Look how much things have changed over the years. We thought antibiotics were going to be the pancea of medicine, cure all diseases. Overuse just made the bacteria adapt. Now we only have a few chemistries that we can use against some of these little critters and they are worried that overuse of these can cause a total resistance. At that point, when our immune system starts to weaken, we are susceptible to these resistant strains.

I am not worried about that, just using it as an example. This crosstalk of genetics is not limited to bacteria I feel, it can be happening everywhere. I feel that microbes have learned to live symbiotically millions or billions of years ago. We just can't comprehend that such a tiny organism has intellect, that is our downfall. When we sense something, we are being informed by our subconscious or unconscious mind. I always thought the two were the same, but I guess I do not know everything. www.diffen.com... So we are three beings in one.

How does this relate to the topic? Easy, mankind may a lot but what we know is relevant to consensus of the time which is most often only partially correct. It isn't only the direction of our country that is off path, it is our whole perception of what is really important and true. Our beliefs steer our consensus, those beliefs are not totally correct in science. our pride and ignorance of the big picture distorts the evidence. Adding the desire for money does not help.

How human we are.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That FACE!! in the Thaw clip you posted lol. We all know She can fake a orgasm really well.

As to NASA. bad idea man. studying dead ones is safer.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
a reply to: Outlier13

Pretty extraordinary, as long as none of them are baby Cloverfields, happy days.

No kidding, now we will need a wall essentially turning mexico into Disctrict 9

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

This is amazing. Reviving bacterial bugs that have been hibernating for 60,000 years? How can anyone deny the existence of life outside of our own planet?

What is the logic behind this statement?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

It looks like the bacteria could have been dormant at least part of the time they were encased in the crystals, but when Boston’s team brought them back to the lab, they revived them and got them growing again. Because the microbes are consistent genetically with other bacteria found in the cave, the scientists are fairly confident their presence in the crystals is not the result of some external contamination, but that they’ve really been there the whole time. And there is pretty intense, 100 to 400 meters below the surface at temperatures of 45° to 65° Celsius (113° to 149° Fahrenheit). This places the bacteria among the toughest on earth.

BigThink.com - 50,000 Year Old Microbes Have Just Been Found In Crystals. Alive.

They estimate 10,000 - 50,000 years so the "fabulous" (*jazz hands*) headline is the larger number. And they basically live off toluene! So yeah, "that is one tough little bastard" (reference to South Park, Uncle Jimbo on Kenny guzzling paint thinner, which is what toluene is!)

Extremophile to say the least! Shut me up in plaster of paris with only paint thinner to drink and eat at 100 °F and I might make a half hour let alone 10,000 years.

Does it seem strange to anybody else that NASA finds 7 planets around a red dwarf 40 light years away AND a bacteria living in extreme conditions IN THE SAME WEEK??? Controlled release?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
@OP, why does man continue to play with fire? Some things... are better off left alone. I just hope we don't unleash an ancient evil...(Or plague)
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Night of the Creeps (1986) - Trailer

Thank you, now I will have trouble sleeping...

Technically something like that already exists

and who knows what is already living inside our own bodies. I heard stories...

but hopefully they haven't found the doomsday plague yet with this latest discovery.
edit on th2017000000Fridayth000000Fri, 24 Feb 2017 22:06:03 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2017 22:06:03 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The real question is if these ancient "lifeforms" found in these crystals, from deep in a mine are intelligent..

Tehehe

top topics

<<   2 >>

join