It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington state will resist federal crackdown on legal weed, AG Ferguson says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Washington’s Attorney General Bob Ferguson and Gov. Jay Inslee have vowed to defend the state’s legal marijuana law against a federal crackdown suggested Thursday by the White House.

With White House press secretary Sean Spicer suggesting Thursday that the Trump administration would crack down on states that have legal recreational marijuana, Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson vowed to defend Washington state’s legal pot law. “I will resist any efforts by the Trump administration to undermine the will of the voters in Washington state,” Ferguson said in an interview. Spicer said during a press briefing Thursday that the issue rests with the Justice Department. But he said, “I do believe that you’ll see greater enforcement of it.”

-Seattle Times

Additional measures the state has been taking:

Governer's Letter to Sessions

UDub professor Trevor Gardner gave the following points about why tackling local marijuana laws will be difficult for the federal government under a Trump administration:

Here are some of those points.

The federal government does not have ability to direct state and local police
Of 1.2 million law enforcement agents, only 80,000 are operating at federal level, which means in order for federal government to broadly enforce marijuana prohibition it needs to cooperation of state and local police.
The DOJ prosecutes after arrests have been made by state and local police.

In the event Sessions does not have that cooperation, it will be difficult for them to prosecute and enforce the marijuana prohibition broadly in decriminalization states.

News Source- video included

-------------------------

Local businesses react to White House hinting at marijuana crackdown

“The state has hit a homerun with it,” said Maschek. “I mean tax revenues they’re collecting are incredible.”

Lathrop said he pays $150,000 in tax revenue every month to the state.

-source with video

More Sources:
ºQ13Fox
ºKiro7

Nice to see the state is looking into and addressing this overall. Posting this as per request- nice suggestion BTW thanks to SolAquarius- to share with those looking into this concern. I've checked and so far looks like mainly Washington State is the one mainly the one in reply as of yet. Please add if you know more. This thread is also a place for updates from other recreational states wanting to take action against any decisions that affect recreational marijuana.

edit on 23-2-2017 by dreamingawake because: also*

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Go Washington

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Here is where Republicans are wrong. Conservatives, as I am, believe that your freedom ends at the end of my nose and only totalitarians believe in gov controlling everything. A mixed message if the current admin goes after 'legal" marijuana. I supported state rights against the frickn liberals, and I damn well will support states rights too from the R's.
edit on 23-2-2017 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Remember Heston's '' from my cold dead hands"? Let me add, from my stinky burnt fingers.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
Here is where Republicans are wrong. Conservatives, as I am, believe that your freedom ends at the end of my nose and only totalitarians believe in gov controlling everything. A mixed message if the current admin goes after 'legal" marijuana. I supported state rights against the frickn liberals, and I damn well will support states rights too from the R's.

The admin should know, if not, will quickly find a lot of it's supporting base is Libertarian learning RW that support marijuana. At least, as it seems so far, the partisan sides will fight against restrictions here.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Something from the Trump administration that directly effects many citizens firsthand..and its to tell them what they can and cant ingest.

tell me more about your smaller government then.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Im still waiting to see what is actually done. This media reports of sabre rattling amount to about a dozen cases of nothing. And maybe a couple more cases of zip.

Texas is playing with medical. Its what I believe is the method to set up infrastructure and taxing entities before opening full retail. But we'll see. The political world isn't what it was 20 years ago.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

10th amendment us Constitution.

I especially like the to the people part.
I find this very fascinating because it is a states power challenging the federal and I would legitimately like to see more power returned to the States and federal powers much more limited.
Maybe this will be the issue that brings States rights to the forefront

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Something from the Trump administration that directly effects many citizens firsthand..and its to tell them what they can and cant ingest.

tell me more about your smaller government then.

No doubt smaller and a LESS intrusive gov is what i have been on about the whole time. Trump is not even a drinker, so he will have no common bond with people who get 'high' or 'low'. I on the other hand will take a drink and have let mari J touch my lips before.. LOL, not many haven't I am sure. I am a conservative Christian who understands GOD decides who is a sinner not me... Victorian attitudes are not acceptable to God IMHO.... None of ours, or the Gov business what someone puts in their body. If I don't have to pay for it for them to use or an innocent person is hurt, then I have no "horse in the race".

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
frankly, i doubt trump gives a crap about weed...there are way more important issues to address and he knows this

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
What "crackdown?"

There is no "crackdown" or even a plan for a "crackdown."

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Thank goodness. When the president takes away protections from one demographic and hands it to the states but turns around and takes marijuana enforcement away from states and hands it to the feds...

at that point, you know they are all just talking out their asses when they say they want more state's rights. Yeah, when it suits them. I get it.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I was just wondering if Washington would do this. I think it is a step in the right direction. Jeff Sessions, the attorney general, has strong opinions about marijuana and has recently made it a priority to crack down on states that have legal recreational marijuana.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I was just wondering if Washington would do this. I think it is a step in the right direction. Jeff Sessions, the attorney general, has strong opinions about marijuana and has recently made it a priority to crack down on states that have legal recreational marijuana.

I'm hoping we'll have a similar stance in Oregon. This will cause some major issues if they try to crack down on it. It's not like the marriage equality laws where a handful of people in each opposed state actually had any relevance. No, with this, you are talking about a ubiquitous recreational herb that is so commonplace and normalized here that taking it away will be akin to taking guns away from southerners. It won't be peaceful.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Do you have a link to this alleged "priority crackdown" directive by Sessions?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The feds doing this crackdown is a total contradiction to Trump's administration saying that letting the states decide things is best. Looks like they are cherry picking from the tree of liberty. Although I have been a Trump supporter, this kind of anomaly is not a welcome thing to see..Clinton would have been 100 times worse though. (as if that is some sort of consolation) ..

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

And one more goose step by the WH fascists!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawakeCareful what you wish for,whenever the government get's involved it is going to want to be in charge,when the government gives you one thing,seems they take 2 things away from you,I am very suspect

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Here is the issue no one has the honesty to address other than look at what TRUMP is doing!

The Democrats under Obama had 2 years to legalize and they did nothing! Even after they still did NOTHING! Now as an advocate for legalization, and a person living in a Democratically controlled state where it is STILL illegal. This means nothing to me. I will still choose to partake or not partake and take my lumps. Because quite frankly? This country has waaaaaaaay to many other important issues to focus on rather than whether or not I can get high!

and not for nothing? Sessions has already said it is up to Congress to change the law! So instead of blaming Trump, get on the damn horn to your elected officials in the state you live in and tell them they need to legalize a plant or there will be hell to pay come time for their re election!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The law never stopped me before it was legal here so personally I'm not to worried about this "crackdown". I will believe it when I see it I doubt anything will come of this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join