It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House hints at crackdown on recreational marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
White House hints at crackdown on recreational marijuana

Police arrest a protester outside of the Elizabeth Detention Center during a rally attended by immigrant residents and activists on February 23, 2017 in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Trump calls immigration raids a 'military operation' White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Thursday suggested the Trump administration will step up enforcement of federal laws against recreational marijuana. "I do believe that you'll see greater enforcement," Spicer said, while adding the exact policy is "a question for the Department of Justice." It's the latest sign President Trump is poised to take a tougher approach than the Obama Justice Department did in states that have legalized the use of recreational marijuana. Attorney General Jeff Sessions was coy about his approach last month during his confirmation hearing. "Using good judgment about how to handle these cases will be a responsibility of mine," he said. "I know it won't be an easy decision, but I will try to do my duty in a fair and just way."

I thought Trump was a supporter of states rights but it seems to mister Sessions states rights can be damned if it isn't something he doesn't like. They will use the old painkiller addiction as an excuse for stopping legal pot but studies show if you want opiate use to decrease then you want to legalize pot.
Legalizing Marijuana Decreases Fatal Opiate Overdoses, Study Shows

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I can't believe I agree with Buster on this, but we need to stop criminalizing Marijuana. We have much more important things to concentrate on like infrastructure, illegal immigration and bringing jobs back to the U.S.

This is NOT a good use of Trump's time.

edit on 2017/2/23 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

DJT is supportive...sadly Sessions is not. (regarding that topic)
edit on 23-2-2017 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

thats disapointing but not surprised coming from the equally hypocritical republicans

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
A thread about this was already posted in Us political madness do we really need a mudpit thread? www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Why didn't Obama sign a E.O on it when he was president?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Trump knows that the legalization of pot in some states was part of the effort to dumb down and liberalize society.

I'm not saying he's right---so please don't strike---but I think he's thinking he has to turn the clock back ten years to make sense of things.
edit on 23-2-2017 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Is it possible that this "crackdown" could be just less funding to states with recreational mj laws? That would make sense because those states are making millions on mj taxes, so they should need less assistance from the government. That would put a nice dent in the debt and states really wouldn't go without.
Just a thought..

Another thought is Spicer just set Trump up to swoop in as a hero and push to change the actual laws instead of just saying to not enforce the law.

I don't think we have anything else to go on other than what Spicer said. Guys obviously an idiot comparing it to opiods. Mj gets folks off opiods. Spicer needs to compare opioid over dose rates and Mj overdose death rates. Not even the same ball park.

edit on 23-2-2017 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
Trump knows that the legalization of pot in some states was part of the effort to dumb down and liberalize society.

I'm not saying he's right---so please don't strike---but I think he's thinking he has to turn the clock back ten years to make sense of things.

It wouldn't surprise me if he actually believed something that idiotic.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

Is it possible that this "crackdown" could be just less funding to states with recreational mj laws? That would make sense because those states are making millions on mj taxes, so they should need less assistance from the government. That would put a nice dent in the debt and states really wouldn't go without. Just a thought.

Sessions has no authority over how much assistance these states get from the government.

Another thought is Spicer just set Trump up to swoop in as a hero and push to change the actual laws instead of just saying to not enforce the law.

It would be a great strategic maneuver.

I don't think we have anything else to go on other than what Spicer said. Guys obviously an idiot comparing it to opiods. Mj gets folks off opiods. Spicer needs to compare opioid over dose rates and Mj overdose death rates. Not even the same ball park.

Seeing how no one has ever died from a MJ overdose in no way are they in the same park.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Trump O.G.
Heavy #, man.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Two words...

Corporate Prisons...

What do you expect when you elect a "businessman"?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Two words...

Corporate Prisons...

same thing when you elect a politician?

corporate prisons existed long before trump ..

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Washington’s Attorney General Bob Ferguson and Gov. Jay Inslee have vowed to defend the state’s legal marijuana law against a federal crackdown suggested Thursday by the White House.

seattle times
posted this in the other thread but it's worth posting here.

It looks like WA states governor is going to make a stand if Trump goes forward with this.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Marijuana is just as bad as opium. China banned opium and fought the opium wars against Britain. Cigarettes are going out of style. I am fully against legalization of marijuana for any use other than doctor prescribed medical uses.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: olaru12
Two words...

Corporate Prisons...

same thing when you elect a politician?

corporate prisons existed long before trump ..

And according to this thead it looks like the Justice Department wants to start using them again.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If I was a betting man I would say the two are connected.
Got to keep those prisons full to keep profits up.
edit on 23-2-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jprasloo

Marijuana is just as bad as opium.

Opium can kill you pot cannot so just how is it as bad?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Marijuana causes hallucinations and murders. People murder when they are under hallucinations.

link   

Marijuana causes hallucinations and murders. People murder when they are under hallucinations.

link   

originally posted by: jprasloo
Marijuana is just as bad as opium. China banned opium and fought the opium wars against Britain. Cigarettes are going out of style. I am fully against legalization of marijuana for any use other than doctor prescribed medical uses.

That's like saying a six pack of PBR is as bad as bath salts.
But I never heard of anybody trying to eat someone else's face off after knocking back a few brews.
edit on 23-2-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join