It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford Engineers Can’t Stay Awake in Driverless Cars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
No way in hell will I ever use or get into a driverless car .
Not about to give up my old triumph spitfire for some computerized piece of rubbish .

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hey google can't even understand what I am saying a quarter of the time. So how is that computer going to be any different. Also, the GPS systems do not always work correctly, I doubt if humans will be the only ones making these mistakes.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Yet another reason to avoid these things like the plague!! Yet watch them keep pushing, and insisting they are needed!

Hands off my car, designers! My car, my freedom, my driving!!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
It's not our generation that will use them a lot, it will be the next generation. They won't know any better....I guess all those high schoo drivers Ed teachers will be out of a job .

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
What would it do when I make my Jeep crawl over a rock pile I would have a hard time walking over... Would it pick the correct line?

What about Minnesota Winters and Ice Fishing? Would it drive on a frozen lake?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost
Nope, no thank you! I shall drive my own car thank you very much!

Read your comment ah I would give anything to have my 76 Triump Spitfire back! Babypoo yellow with a black softtop. That was the car I learned to drive on...

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I believe that same person was saved by the car too when it auto changed lanes when a truck was swerving into him.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: Box of Rain

In consideration the Flagger, then would have to carry upon them technology the vehicle would identify towards such a purpose.

What about changing lanes to avoid slow moving traffic safely and at the same time, get a passenger to a location faster than otherwise?

There are so many things a human must read in order to avoid disaster. Things like a ball rolling across a surface towards a street, or a mother waving from the side of a narrow alley indicating that their child, or pet, is nearby, out of sight, and apt to dart out anywhere, at any moment. We really do take for granted just how refined our sensibillities have become toward avoiding problems while driving. Imagine negotiating a slippery mountain pass. Does the machine know that it would be better, in event of loss of control, to crash into the mountain side on the right than to steer toward a one thousand foot drop off to the left? I doubt it, and there are hundreds of examples I could think of offhand.

Aside from malfunctions, and hacks, that the machines will be subject to, what about things like snow, dirt, misaligned cameras/sensors etc...? Nobody gives a rat's ass if their bumpers are covered with snow. What makes anyone believe that these persons will ensure that all the sensors are free of grime, haze, normal precipate from brake linings and tire wear?

I spend a lot of time observing motorists. These days, everyone is playing with their phones, and running stop signs everywhere. There was more respect for the road when people were
regularly stoned on qualludes and coke, imo, than there is now. It is stomach churning to see what people are doing when piloting a two ton projectile. Oh, and the new thing is to just keep going when they strike a person, animal, or car, or post, or fire hydrant, or building etc., because they cannot process what pokeman just made them do.

The bottom line is that the industries are bending over backward to accommodate this behavior so that McCulture can carry on masturbating while behind the wheel. And it is going to backfire. The only way these auto driving vehicles will lower collissions is when the majority of a$$holes become so bad at driving that machines are a better alternative, and this is exactly what the industries are deliberately fomenting.

Worse, the insurers who drive their cars w/o auto pilots will be forced to pay higher premiums, mark my words.

From what I have seen, internet ought not be accessible in cars, in any way shape or form.
When a driver strikes an object, they are instantly seized with the urge to look up from their
phone, and flee. And it is going to get worse, so naturally, auto pilots will prevail, and by design. It's a conspiracy.

# 679
edit on 24-2-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: Even Ed Sullivan said that if George were too sick to appear on his show, he'd put on a Beatle wig and join them himself.

edit on 24-2-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: just before the show, Brian searched out Sullivan backstage, and in his finesr West End accent informed him, "I would like to know the exact wording of your introduction.". Sullivan gave Brian a sidelong glance. "I would like you to get lost," he told him.

edit on 25-2-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: Brian reached inside his pocket to get a pen, and Nat noticed a whole row of little pockets had been tailored into hos suit. Brian blithely explained that these were "pill pockets" and that each one was stocked with a different strength biamphetamine or tranquilizer.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

And what happens if someone hacks the car? I remember a few years ago some hackers took some jeeps off the road by an exploit through on star.

What happens when 20% of the cars on the road are self driving and a terrorist group/nation state hacks them and tells them all to do a sudden left hand turn.
The freeways in the US would come to a sudden stop and 1000s would die.
It would likely make 9/11 look mild.
Cars without steering wheels would have no way to over ride them and would have to be towed off the road.
Police and fire units will not be able to respond to emergencies due to the blockage of streets.
It might take days to clear some freeways just because of the lack of tow trucks.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

and what is wrong with using a city certified taxi?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If you are heeding the signs of the downfall of civilization, then do take special note of the areas commonly known as street corners.

In residential neighborhoods, normally, there is grass growing here. I see more and more corners have large rocks, even boulders where allowed-watch for this to change shortly-placed right near the corner curb. Upon closer inspection, I note deep tire tracks, where grass used to grow, underneath the boulders, as evidence that drivers are simply losing their minds, destroyed no doubt by their collar weapons constantly pressed against their brains, whenever time permits.

One day, I was crossing a busy 4 lane street. The cars in two lanes were idle, almost bumper to bumper, in line for a red light a block away. I made eye contact with the operators of the stationary vehicles, and my dog and I crossed two lanes. The remaing two lanes were empty of vehicles, as a glance toward the red traffic light would confrm. On a hunch, for no particular reason, I bent down to pick up and hold my dog before crossing the empty lanes. Typically I let her run free at this juncture.

As soon as I stepped across the divider line, a Toyota screeched to a swerving halt from a silent 60 or so mph sprint toward the traffic light left turn lane 1 block away, and stopped with the passenger door against my kneecaps. The speed limit is 35 mph, in case you were wondering, but it is apparently twice that when you are driving the wrong way. I won't print what happened in the few instict driven seconds that ensued, but it ended too soon, and the motorist made it through the yellow arrow despite this...and I got the plate.

The proprietor of the store I was traveling to said this happened last week too, and the driver was caught by police. He saw the whole thing, and it is happening everywhere, wherever there are phones in moving vehicles, essentially.

The medians are becoming longer, less distinct by design, and used by
modern cellular brain damage victims as personal drag strips. Quite likely, these zones will be allowed access for self driving cars during high volume traffic; it is hard to say what plans are in store. But gone are the raised curb median dividers as one approaches the intersection.

I have been crossing streets since I could walk, and this phenomenon struck me as being a new thing, so watch it, citizens of babylon. Teach your children how to be aware of this chancre of technology and progress. I guarantee that in the near future, it will always be the jaywalker's fault, no matter which way you are driving, or how fast, when you hit 'em. Because cell phones must not fail! Because progress must not be curtailed.

Oh $hit, Frank, can I call you back? A pedestrian just spilled my no foam triple latte.
My crotch is scalded, and I think he cracked the front spoiler, so this guy better have had insurance.

Bradbury was a genius.

# 681

edit on 26-2-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: Inside the club it was as black as a deep grave, dank and damp and smelly, and I regretted my decision to come. There were sometimes 200 youngeople thre, jiving, chatting, or eating a Cavern Lunch-soup, roll, Cokes and things.

edit on 26-2-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: Over all the speakers were loudly amplified current hit discs, then mainly American, and I remember considering the possibility of some "tie" between Nems and the Cavern in connection with the top 20. I started to talk to one of the girls. "Hush," she hissed. "The Beatles're going on now."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join