It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford Engineers Can’t Stay Awake in Driverless Cars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ok so here is the problem; even with bells or alarms as well as assigning other engineers to the passenger seat. these professional occupants of a self driving vehicle have a relevant statistical probability of falling asleep.

The problem as resulted in companies that make cars to move away from the idea that a car should have a for steering wheel or a brake and acceleration pedal. One if the issues they are citing towards that reasoning seems to be programing. These cars as designed/programed to shut down after as little as 30 seconds of human inactivity and a problem due to research is that Human going from an state of sleep to that of awake requires about two minutes.

Here is the relevant link in question...

Snoozing engineers seem to be among Ford's biggest problems in its quest to develop self-driving vehicles, so much so that the automaker wants to take humans out of the equation completely by removing the steering wheel and pedals from their driverless cars debuting in 2021.

www.msn.com...

edit on 23-2-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

I will never ever set foot in a driverless car.

Some guy near me died in his self driving Tesla because the car's motion sensor got a white out from the sunlight and mistook a white semi truck for the clouds.

Guess what he was doing in the Tesla when he died? Playing angry birds on his smart phone.

This is simple evolution, people.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
If I'm riding in a car that doesn't have a real person driving, I'm not falling asleep.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I for one would never purchase a car that I could not over ride what the computer wanted to do.

Commercial Airliners take off and shortly there after the auto-pilot is engaged.. It does not matter if it is a one hour trip or a 12 hour ball buster... The Pilots remain alert.. Maybe they need to change the alert status of the people in the car instead of removing the controls that could save someone's life.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I for one would never purchase a car that I could not over ride what the computer wanted to do.

I will one-up that and say I would never purchase a car than runs on a computer.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This bastard ought never have been let out of the bag.

I'll add that digital is the beast. Do the math.
I hope heads roll over these cluster#s.

# 678
edit on 23-2-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: But losing money was what it was all about, in a way, and the Beatles remained undaunted.

edit on Sun Feb 26 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Can you provide some actual research
into the alert status of pilots like that?

At it stands today cameras are not allowed in the cockpit in so much as I understand.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

And what happens if someone hacks the car? I remember a few years ago some hackers took some jeeps off the road by an exploit through on star.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
An example...

Revealed: Packed passenger plane was left flying on autopilot after BOTH pilots fell asleep in the cockpit. Terrifying incident happened last month

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Do you have any documentation to that effect?

I would be interested.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I can't wait for a fleet of driverless ubers! It will be great. I do not want to own a car. I do not want drunks driving at night. i do not want to deal with creepy lyft drivers.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

My point exactly, I would never buy one or set foot in one.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

i do not want to deal with creepy lyft drivers.

Would you prefer the murderous uber driver over the creepy lyft driver?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
double
edit on 2/23/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

Can you provide some actual research
into the alert status of pilots like that?

At it stands today cameras are not allowed in the cockpit in so much as I understand.

We have a voice recorder and a flight recorder in the cockpit. American Airlines used to have a cockpit camera that they turned on for take off and landings for the passengers to watch.. I think they have stopped that after running a DC-10 off the end of a runway way back when.. I really do not remember the incident though.. As far as the pilots alert status aTWA Boeing 727 missed communications with Los Angels center/approach control and was a few hundred miles off the coast over the pacific before someone of the three crew members woke up.. Needless to say they all got time off if not out right fired.

I would never say pilots do not occasionally take turns sleeping but the reality is they are not supposed to..

with today's aircraft you can program the route and even the approach and decent at destination... many if not most of today's aircraft have auto-land capabilities...which is very seldom used even though we train for the event.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

For the record I have a lot of respect of Pilots. Having said that, a point of driverless vehicles is to take the human equation out of the variable. Myself I feel that such a technology could result in decisions made by humans, who control such technology, that are not necessarily humane.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

GM Says Driverless Cadillac to Hit Road in 2017

Cadillac wants drivers to keep their hands off the wheel. In fact, they can take their foot off the pedal as well, because GM is planning to release a car by 2017 equipped with "Super Cruise" technology that will let it drive itself. While Google's driverless cars have gained plenty of media attention, the major automakers are not willing to cede the market without a fight. Last summer, Nissan announced it would release its own driverless car by 2020. GM did not specify which Cadillac model would get the upgrade. The company's CEO Mary Barra, speaking at the Intelligent Transport System World Congress in Detroit, said that the 2017 Cadillac model would be able to handle highways speeds of up to 70 m.p.h. and stop-and-go traffic. A year before that model is released, GM plans to unveil another Cadillac with vehicle-to-vehicle technology that would let it share traffic information and hazard warnings with other compatible vehicles.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I have a question about how a driverless car might handle a certain situation that I hope someone can answer for me...

Let's say I'm in my driverless car on a road that is one lane in both directions. Then say I came across some road construction where there is a flagger in the middle of my lane holing up a flag or one of those stop/slow signs that the flaggers use.

I suppose my car will detect the flagger standing in the middle of the road and would stop for him -- which is fine, but what if rather telling me to stop, he was waving me on with his flag, instructing me with his flag to go around the road work by temporarily driving in the other lane.

Would my driverless car know what to do? Or would it be simply see that a person is in the road, and thus just stop? Would it know that it could (and should) drive in the other lane (the wrong lane) to get around the road work? Once it did get past that road work, would it actually know it was past it, and know that it should then get back into the correct lane and drive on?

I'm thinking that most driverless cars would not know what to do, and would just stop when it saw the flagger, requiring a driver to then take over and drive around the construction work. And that means the the occupant of the car needs to be a person who knows how to drive a car (and stay awake/pay attention to what is going on while the computer is driving).

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

In consideration the Flagger, then would have to carry upon them technology the vehicle would identify towards such a purpose.

What about changing lanes to avoid slow moving traffic safely and at the same time, get a passenger to a location faster than otherwise?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton
I can't wait for a fleet of driverless ubers! It will be great. I do not want to own a car. I do not want drunks driving at night. i do not want to deal with creepy lyft drivers.

Do you do Life, bro?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join