It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force requests funding for low cost fighter experiment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

That doesn't even BEGIN to make sense. They can carry two bombs internally and remain stealthy, but if they put more than two bombs internally they lose stealth? How does that work? Is it magic radar or something?

There's plenty of information bashing the F-35 on the Internet. That doesn't make it right. I'll put my trust in the results of Red Flag far more than in an Internet site. And those results prove it works, and works well.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Say there is no need to operate in stealth mode, how does the F-35 loadout compare to the plane it is replacing?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Even just internally the payload capacity is better than an F-16. In a permissive environment it's better than a Viper.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang
a reply to: Pyle

The germans thought the same thing with the ME262. And that was a bigger leap than the conventional tech at the time.

Numbers have always beat tech, Vietnam the North were out teched look what happened you lost because of numbers another good example of tech vs numbers is the Panzerkampfwagen vs the t34.

The f35 program is six years behind schedule and tens of billions of dollars over budget. The flash plugins failed..... You can say what you like but the evidence is contrary. Where are they?

The German's also used it as a lightning bomber and everything else under the sun. If they had used them all as air defense weapons they would have made a larger difference.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Even just internally the payload capacity is better than an F-16. In a permissive environment it's better than a Viper.

How does it compare to the Super Hornet?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Night and day. Both the Super Hornet and Hornet have fairly short legs, depending on payload. By putting the weapons internally it doesn't have the drag the Hornets have.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

what?!?!?!

Making a comparison is not a comparison? ok.

So in your example the tech has to be what? within 20 years of each other?
Some countries still use 70 year old armor platforms.

In battles of equal tech of german and american war planes of course numbers matter. what is your point?

We could go over individual battles such as those of superior tech germans vs soviets, but then you'll claim it's the whole war not a battle that matters.

You really want a list of european countries slaughtering the new world? Or the british, dutch, germans, portuguese, americans in africa, india, and china, other asia?
Cmon advanced technology is THE BASIS of Imperialism, where small white populations exerted control with tiny armies over huge swaths of the world's populations thousands of miles away.

I'll start with one example. I can continue the slaughter if you would like. admit defeat.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

How low do you think they could get the cost per unit down to? A few million? A few hundred thousand? Of course I'm asking in terms of how much to have one delivered from the production line, not the overall operating cost. In itself, the craft could be as inexpensive as a few hundred thousand dollars, couldn't it? Before weapons, milspec avionics, and targeting, of course...

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

Oops, wrong airframe.

Probably $15-20M tops.
edit on 2/26/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The experiment will take place this summer at Holloman AFB.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Should I start buying Textron stock?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

They have several possibilities. The Scorpion might fit the bill, or it might not.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Dude,

I don't even like F35 in the slightest, but at least my reasons have actual technical merit while your "reasons" are based entirely in your extraordinarily poor reading comprehension!

IMHO there are very real and valid reasons to dislike and distrust the aircraft, but because of people like you that I get lumped in with as "just another ignorant F35 hater" I don't get to have real reasonable and rational discussion with people who are pro F35!

You keep saying "bombs" like there's only one type which shows exactly how much you know.

Zaphod's right, you're wrong, deal with it.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I'm partial to Ov-10x myself, but for that to be an option we have to be willing to spend what it takes.

A modern incarnation of the A-37 dragonfly could be cool too. (As in something built with modern trainer guts, though in an ideal world an actual dragonfly reboot could be wicked cool!)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Perhaps US wants a commercial competitor to South Africa's Mwari Light Multirole Aircraft which is estimated to cost 10M each.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

I wouldn't mind a Bronco comeback, but that could get expensive. Personally, I'm partial to the AT-802U.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The Air Force has officially requested funding for their low cost fighter experiment, through supplemental funding. The experiment is a continuation of the SOCOM Combat Dragon II program, which demonstrated OV-10G+ aircraft, in an anti-insurgent role. NASA loaned two aircraft to the military, and the Navy refitted them with a digital cockpit and laser guided weapons.

The new experiment will present data from Combat Dragon II to the industry, and use that as a baseline for requirements. They are looking at an existing commercial platform that can be fit into the role. The Air Force frequently pushes that role onto its partners, since it doesn't require something fast and sexy, but is now realizing how important it can be in uncontested airspace.

The US Air Force has requested funding for a low-cost fighter experiment in its supplemental budget request, indicating the service is serious about finding a close air support alternative.

During a 23 February speech at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, USAF chief Gen David Goldfein told the audience the experiment would not cost much money. In January, Goldfein said the USAF would run an experiment in the spring assessing off-the-shelf options to fill a low-end fighter role.

The experiment would continue a previous US Special Operations Command effort known as Combat Dragon II, which demonstrated whether the Vietnam-era OV-10 Bronco could be fielded in counter-insurgency operations over Afghanistan. NASA loaned two North American Rockwell OV-10G+to SOCOM in 2013 and the US Navy outfitted with them with a digital cockpit and laser-guided precision weapons.

www.flightglobal.com...

If the Navy did the original experiment, why would funding go to the Air Force?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

The Navy refitted the aircraft, but SOCOM performed the original experiment. The continued program will occur under the Air Force.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

The mere notion that we live in a world where the Tomcat might be legitimately superseded by the Ag-Cat as an operational combat platform is enough to send me into fits of manic laughter. The folks at CERN really ought to stop messing with the worldlines.
edit on 3-3-2017 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

What's not to love about an armed crop duster?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join