It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spicer says to expect federal enforcement of marijuana laws.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Not gonna happen, I think it is just more fear mongering. Here's the deal, we have lived with it criminalized for many decades and we have seen the result. Everyone still uses it but the cartels get all the money and the jobs of cultivating it and distributing it. If there is one thing that Trump really is pushing, it is jobs and keeping our money in our country. So now that we have data points in Washington, Colorado, Oregon that show how fruitful it can be (in terms of jobs and taxes) while also dispelling the myths that it would destroy civilization, there will be no going back. Pot is the new alcohol and its here to stay. The odds of this administration taking us backwards are about the same as them criminalizing alcohol.

Don't believe everything you read. I know that in the past Sessions has been against it. But he also said, when asked about this topic, that his job is to enforce the laws that congress passes and not to make his own laws.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: gladtobehere

What about States' Rights?

"We should let the States decide."

EXACTLY.

What about states' rights, smaller federal government, and keeping the government out of people's lives?

Oh, wait, that's right: only when it suits one's political needs. Otherwise:

Hypocrites, the lot of them.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
dea raids montana legal medical dispensary

cannabisnow.com...

dea raids in california

www.medicaljane.com...

dea raids in washington

www.seattletimes.com...

its bull#.
this is 1 reason why legal at state level dont work. the feds can and do come in and bust it up.

medical marijuana is legal in my state but that basically gives me freedom from prosecution at this point. if i want to have a job and support my family i can not enjoy what is medically legal even though i have a qualifying condition. i am still subject to employer drug tests and even with my condition and a medical card i can be fired.

needs to be legal at the federal level

Who was president when all of those raids took place?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
I agree fully. I'm very much for medical use for patients that have actually been prescribed it. They shouldn't have to worry about getting arrested.

Hopefully this administration works this out if not then I believe the next one will. It can't be too far off.

For non-medical. It won't happen until there are changes at the UN level.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesjr

Sorry, but this is from Spicer's press conference today. It's out of the mouth of Trump's press secretary directly. This is as official as it gets until I guess Trump tweets about it from the toilet.

And Sessions is more than against weed - in the late 90s he sponsored a law that would have meant the death penalty over pot.
edit on 2/23/2017 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger

And Sessions is more than against weed - in the late 90s he sponsored a law that would have meant the death penalty over pot.

Source?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Too many ending up with long prison sentence which ruin the rest of their life more than marijuana would.

I'm very glad you feel that way.

"Marijuana" all by itself doesn't 'ruin the life' of anyone, though. It actually helps the lives of many many many millions of people. Because chillax.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Monger

Sorry, but this is from Spicer's press conference today. It's out of the mouth of Trump's press secretary directly. This is as official as it gets until I guess Trump tweets about it from the toilet.

And this is in the same article in the OP:

"Trump himself indicated on the campaign trail that he'll consider recreational marijuana a "state's rights," issue, but his Administration has not outlined an offical position on the issue. "

Just like evrything else he's doing, Trump wants to let states decide.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents

There is no UN level when it comes to US law. The UN is officially against cannabis legalization but they have no authority on the matter.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Well, I have crohn's disease, so I'll be good regardless if they continue the use of medical... But this is total horsesh*t, and makes little to no sense.. not to mention, I don't see how Spicer could do anything, wouldn't change have to come from Congress first?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

You're looking for consistency in Trump's words and actions?

You can only go by the most recent thing he's said. The guy sometimes contradicts himself in the same sentence, spare me.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Trump should kick this down to the states in keeping with state theme. Not to mention how this deflates Mexican influence ect, ect, and ect in some areas. And not talking about Oaxaca state rights ect.....

edit on 23-2-2017 by Logarock because: n

link   
a reply to: underwerks

You're right, I read it as rolling back private prisons.

I look more into it, thanks.

link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

that dont mean #.
spicer is saying this admin is going to enforce it at the federal level so it will be more of the same.
thats my point.

legal at state level gives people freedom from prosecution but that is about it.
dispensaries can still be raided and people can still lose their jobs for taking their medicine

if i have a script for vicodin and i fail a test i show i have a script and i keep my job.
if i have a script for grass and i fail a test i show i have a script and i lose my job.

this is the problem

the things that did happen are going to continue to happen.
you go ahead and blame obama for what happened in the past. i will blame cheeto face for what will continue to happen under his administration

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger
As long as the US is in the UN, they do have authority in the matter. I'm sorry. That's how being in the UN works.

State sovereignty gives way to Federal sovereignty which in turn gives way to UN sovereignty.

Until we get out of the UN or they change international law, it won't happen.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Just what we need, to add non-criminals to our already over-crowded prisons. We keep locking up people who are using a substance that does less harm than alcohol!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

reason.com...
www.salon.com...
www.weednews.co...
cannabisnow.com...

I tried to find a source that wouldn't be widely mocked, but it turns out pro-Trump blogs don't report that kind of thing.
edit on 2/23/2017 by Monger because: added more sources.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
I agree fully. I'm very much for medical use for patients that have actually been prescribed it. They shouldn't have to worry about getting arrested.

Hopefully this administration works this out if not then I believe the next one will. It can't be too far off.

and medical patients do not have to worry about getting arrested. thats why i have said several times it is freedom from prosecution. thats a good thing.

what i want is to be able to take my legally prescribed medicine and not have to worry about losing my job. until it is legal at the federal level that is not going to happen

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

legal at state level gives people freedom from prosecution but that is about it.
dispensaries can still be raided and people can still lose their jobs for taking their medicine

How many dispensaries in Colorado have been raided since 4/20/2014?

You.

Are.

Wrong.

Stop fear mongering.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Canada is in the UN. We're legalizing this year.

Uruguay is in the UN and they've been legal for a while.

This UN excuse is nonsense.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join