It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Thread About an Endangered Eagle

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I've become kind of obsessed about a very specific species of eagles, the Philippine Eagle (Pithecophaga jefferyi).

Philippine eagles are beautiful eagles. They've got the largest wingspan of all eagles, and they are endangered. Very much endangered, which saddens me. I think more people should be aware of those beautiful birds so I thought I'd make a thread about them.

This is Pag-asa, he just recently turned 25 years old (on January the 16th).

Very characteristic of this species is the shaggy crest, the uniquely blue eye colour, and the white underside. Wingspan is 6 to 7 feet. Like many eagles, Philippine eagle eat various small animals, not just monkeys (as some may believe).

These eagles are critically endangered, with only half a thousands of individuals left in the world. Efforts are being made to protect the species, such as protection laws and captivity breeding, but some idiots are still hunting them. For instance, Pamana was shot right after she had been released into the wild.

Pamana's death caused quite an uproar. She was only 3 years old, barely an adult (maturity is reached at 5 years).

However, hope remains as Pag-asa, amongst many others, still thrives (albeit in captivity). Pag-asa even has an offspring, Mabuhay:

This above it a picture of Mabuhay as a baby, who has seen the world on February the 9th, 2013.

Another celebrity of this species is Mindanao:

Mindanao has become popular as an "ambassador" to raise awareness of its majestic species.

I just hope that more people learns about this beautiful species and that it gets saved from extinction.

At Time's End,

swan

edit on 23-2-2017 by swanne because: Oopsy, typos.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I've read about these Eagles on FB. There's a page dedicated to them. They are greatly elegant. Why anyone would want to hunt them to extinction is anyone's guess but i really hate those who are doing it. If I could have one where I live, I'd bring one over... maybe 2. Not sure they would flourish over here though - England but more specifically London where it's too Industrialised and not much nature & wildlife exists!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Yeah, I think they need warm weather and plenty of preys to thrive.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing their story. Such beautiful and soulful eyes.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Just to give an idea of the Philippine eagle's size:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Nice thread. I thought you might enjoy this.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Ooh, cool!

It talks about Pag-asa! That was right before Pag-asa had an offspring; it's cool to hear about him from the keeper himself!

At the beginning of the video you can also hear how the eagle sounds like.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
OMGosh John he is huge!!!! I had no idea he was so big! Again what a magnificent bird!!!

a reply to: TNMockingbird
Chirp – Thank you so much for the video!!!!! How awesome! Can you imagine courting a bird, nope don’t answer that!!!! LOL

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Biggest eagle in the world.

I envy their wings. With that wingspan, they should be able to generate quite some lift power.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have shed all the tears I ever intend to shed for mankind but I am still inconsolable as to what this stumbling demented child king species of mine has done to this wondrous planet and its magnificent creatures.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Just realised Pag-asa is now 26 years old.

Just wanted to wish you a late Happy Birthday, Pag-asa.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
nice thread did you catch this article?

nyt

there is always hope if we have faith

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

That is actually extremely good news indeed!

Thanks for sharing, I had not come across this.

I like to believe that nature still has some tricks up her sleeve.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
A more up-to-date picture of Mabuhay, daughter of Pag-asa:

She is currently 5 years old.

More info: newsinfo.inquirer.net...

top topics

join