It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Claudio Ranieri sacked by Leicester City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Football , it's a funny old game , from the highs of taking rank outsiders Leicester City to claim the Premiership title last year to 17th in the table and cleaning out his desk this year.
The fairy tale is over , farewell Tinkerman.

"His status as the most successful Leicester City manager of all time is without question," added the Foxes statement. "However, domestic results in the current campaign have placed the club's Premier League status under threat."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Have Leicester blinked to soon and sacked the best manager they'll ever have ?
Seems so to me.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I really wish that football was a bigger thing in America. I only got into it during the last World Cup, as I was rooting for Germany, but I found that I really loved the game. I don't have time to follow it like my friends across the pond, or those in South America, but soccer, as we Yanks like to call it, is a really interesting sport. I mean, it isn't women's beach volleyball, but I always enjoy watching it. Perhaps it will catch on here at some point...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
He was lucky and ran that sort of amazing season, will be funny to see what happens next.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Leicester City were a yo-yo club that beat the odds of 5000-1 to win the EPL in 2016, under the guidance of this great man. Shame on the owners for being so short sighted, and not sticking by the man that gave them their greatest moment.

However, being a supporter of Chelsea F.C, it is not surprising, as they did a similar thing with Mourhino last season. Football is a results business, and loyalty is a thing of the past unfortunately.

Farewell Claudio, they may have taken your job, but they can never take away the title you gave to the club and its fans.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Gary Lineker is not happy.

After all that Claudio Ranieri has done for Leicester City, to sack him now is inexplicable, unforgivable and gut-wrenchingly sad.
twitter.com...

Your right about loyalty mate , sad state of affairs.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Gary Lineker is not happy.

After all that Claudio Ranieri has done for Leicester City, to sack him now is inexplicable, unforgivable and gut-wrenchingly sad.
twitter.com...

Your right about loyalty mate , sad state of affairs.

Yep loyalty and decency is considered a loser philosophy these days...just about everywhere.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Could have been worse, he could have eaten a pie live on BBC and got sacked for that!!!

On topic, its a results driven game and the results this season are poor with a high risk of being demoted to the Championship and the drop in revenue that will come with it. As long as Sunderland go down with them and Newcastle return to the top flight at the end of the season i don't really care.

Best wishes for the future Claudio

edit on 2017-02-23T14:57:44-06:002017Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:57:44 -0600bThursday5702America/Chicago172 by corblimeyguvnor because: typo .... again!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

This had to happen as to many in too short time got famous.
Leicester City will go down faster than a brick of stone.
Nothing ( unless or if ) IMO

Sad, yes it was a joyride to join as i had some bets going together with a friend.
Lucely i also had bets on little brother Island.
We did well.
edit on 23/2/17 by Norge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Football is a "Results Game " Clubs have to try and stay in The Premiership at all costs. Even if that means sacking the manager. The rewards for staying in The Premiership are huge.

The team that finishes bottom still gets £97 million.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

that man needs pies to stay alive, that belly is on a pie every half an hour....

on topic, I thought the result against Sevilla was good, and i think CR would have kept them up, now i think they will go down, ridiculous move by the board!!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Meanwhile, Wenger is still in charge of Arsenal...

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
For a long time Claudio Ranieri remained a high profile manager with a record of never quite delivering the goods. Having managed the likes of Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus, Inter Milan and Valencia. He won a few cups and promotions in his time but the really big prizes eluded him.

Then he goes and wins the Premier League with a bang average team Leicester City last season. Although Kante, Mahrez and Vardy were playing the season of their lives. But it was still a fairytale that we might never see in our lives again and meant that the dream was at least only on life support and not completely dead. I am not sure how much of it was pure luck and how much of it was hard work. But it remains the only major league title Claudio Ranieri has ever won.

Ranieri was well aware of the problems that lay ahead after winning the Premier League. I got a feeling Claudio wanted a shot at how far he could take Leicester in the Champions League and then would gracefully walk away and possibly retire come May this year. But, with the financial pressures of modern football, loyalty counts for nothing. You can't sack underperforming players because they are also assets on the balance sheet. So the fall guy is the manager.

Claudio will be handsomely rewarded for this season despite losing his job. He has earned in excess of £10m compensation for his previous failures in the past decade. There are not many other businesses where this happens. That said I am sure he will always be fond of Leicester and this one amazing season he had. Claudio always seemed to me to be like an Italian Bobby Robson. A real gentleman with a sense of humour and a deep love for his sport.

I am not surprised at the decision to sack him because the only real loyalty in football now is with the fans.

However best wishes to Claudio Ranieri wherever the future takes him.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

if you can instill the most belief in your team, where they have belief in themselves, belief in their system and a belief they can beat anybody..... over the course of a full season, then they will be triumphant. Things like what LCFC just makes you believe more that this world is indeed magical and mysterious, and theres nothing i love more than trying to figure it out!

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
As much as I rooted for Leicester City last year to win the Premiership, I root for them to be relegated this year, and I have no doubt that they will, because karma is a funny thing, especially in sports.
edit on 642k2017Saturdayam014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

I'm with you on that Nikola as I suspect are many more , relegation would be a fitting reward for their lack of faith in the man who delivered them the unbelievable.

top topics

join