It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Men Provide. . . Real Women Appreciate it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
www.charlotteobserver.com...

So says a billboard in North Carolina.

A billboard on Interstate 40 West near Winston-Salem is angering many who say its message is offensive to women.

The board reads: “Real men provide. Real women appreciate it.” The owner of a Winston-Salem women’s boutique called Kleur has organized a demonstration against the billboard’s message for Sunday at 11 a.m.

“We are NOT protesting that the sign is capable of existing, or the people who put it up, or the ad agency, or the right to put it up. We are protesting patriarchy and sexism, and that this antiquated way of thinking about women exists at all,” the group’s Facebook page said.

The protest takes place at the billboard’s location on I-40 West, headed into Winston -Salem from Kernersville. It is about 85 miles northeast of Charlotte.

The billboard belongs to Whiteheart Outdoor Advertising, and owner Bill Whiteheart said the organization that bought the space doesn’t want to be identified.

Agree or disagree, people are going to be triggered. Is this a giant "troll"?

Everyone has their own opinion on the subject. In my opinion, I find it funny. If you don't think the billboard is right, then don't marry a guy who wants to provide.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Sounds like a very North Carolina thing to do. Does it say that real men smoke Marlboros too?
edit on 23-2-2017 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I just think its someones opinion that they paid to shove down everyone elses throat.

If it works for you (anyone in general) then great, and all the power to your love.

But, myself for example, I prefer we both provide, I prefer we both hustle, I prefer we both appreciate each other, because I know one thing for certain. No other man or woman is going to be my budget or my retirement plan.

If that doesn't make me a real women, oh well.

I think real people really like what they like.

-Alee

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I hope i get to do more than provide, what am i a corner store.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well I certainly was triggered. Read the title and came here with a prepared rant...

Since this is a sexist discussion: I was wondering today if you guys get offended over the fact that groups of men are called "sausage fest"?

edit on 23-2-2017 by Peeple because: Add

link   
Sounds like it was just put up by some guy that's getting tired of not getting any BJ's after a hard days work.

Seems like an extreme way to discuss your marital problems.

link   
The funniest part is that they're organizing a protest against the billboard. Yup, they've been triggered alright!

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
I just think its someones opinion that they paid to shove down everyone elses throat.

Just like your post has been shoved down my throat. I chose to travel this ATS thread without knowing what you wrote in advance like someone else chose to travel down I-75. The driver can say, "Yay, right on!" or 'Boo, that's sexist." or drive right on by just like I can choose to ignore your posts.

If you are sufficiently triggered you can choose to go protest (if you remain on public land). thus drawing more attention to the sign. You can pay to put up your own billboard, inviting comment and ATS threads.

Freedom of speech. What a great country!
edit on 2/23/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
What about the poor men who are expected to be the sole providers and just give to women simply for being women? Why isn't that sexist towards men? Why are men the bad guys in this scenario?

Yeah it's wrong to try and force people into these roles, but it's wrong both ways. Not every man is a hunter.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The funniest part is that they're organizing a protest against the billboard. Yup, they've been triggered alright!

To be fair, they are protesting the idea, and not the actual message.

They were very clear on the issue of free speech.

They just don't want a "Sugar Daddy".

link   
Is there anything I mean anything they won't protest about lately?

Personally don't see much wrong with the billboard, if you don't like it ignore it drive by don't look at it....why let it affect you for goodness sake? Jeez

link   
Who here wants to put money together to create and put up the most offensive billboard we can in the most libral stronghold just to trigger them for giggles and lsughs ?

edit on 23-2-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well, I for one would love to be able to stay home and be taken care of.

But I am old, and don't give a rats butt what people think of me.

Then reality sets in, as I sit here at work, and I remember that we both have to work, if I want to keep my house.

Oh, and feed us and all the animals. That is kind of important.
edit on 23-2-2017 by chiefsmom because: addition

@Crazy, I'm in!!!
edit on 23-2-2017 by chiefsmom because: answering

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm all for free speech, but God help any message I don't agree with. I will scream and scream and scream until I am sick.

Then I will go back on to the inter web to find something else I don't agree with and repeat the process.

It doesn't get me anywhere, but it makes me feel like a warrior.

Now where's my armour?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I'm down!

Something like:

" We wanted to offend you, but didn't know what to say, so we'll make something up when we see you at the protests for this billboard, you suck, but we love you still "

or

" Roses are red, Violets are blue, we ate your elephant and your donkey too! "

This almost seems like part of a greater plan to have us bickering amongst ourselves about frivolous things instead of being mad at the real people causing problems.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

“Real men provide. Real women appreciate it.”

Lol, I'd complete the insult and spray paint at the bottom: Now go make me a sammich.

Real men don't need to add real as a prefix.

More divisiveness.

Men and women compliment each other.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I say counter it with a billboard that says 'Real women provide.....sandwiches'.

link   
I think we can all agree it was a man or men that put up the sign.

The little gals should have been at home taking care of the babies and making sandwiches. . . amiright?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I actually don't have an issue with the message itself. I don't view it as being a statement that is portraying a situation from an absolute standpoint. Just merely a comment on just one of the many aspects that make up a relationship.

It seems some are viewing it as though there are extra words there, namely like there is a sole slipped in there somewhere.

There are just certain things that we can't change, from a biological and sub conscious standpoint, about the different sexes. These aren't things that should be viewed as inherently bad. Though obviously taken to extremes they can be bad, but what can't.

I, and I feel most men, want to be a provider and a protector. Those are the biological roles I'm meant to play. I want my partner to be a nurturer, a communicator and emotional. Fulfilling these roles(not exclusively) is rewarding and makes me feel good.

I certainly don't mean for those to be the sole roles for individuals to play, and obviously advocate for equality and of course doing what YOU want to do. I'm just not ready to THROW OUT tens of thousands of years of learned behavior and biological evolution because it's makes for hip sounding chants or soundbites on youtube.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Cheapest way to get people to advertise is to make them so mad they can't stop talking about you.

Looks like it worked.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Who here wants to put money together to create and put up the most offensive billboard we can in the most libral stronghold just to trigger them for giggles and lsughs ?

Send me a PM. I'm on board.

(get it? board?)

edit on 2/23/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join