It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Common Spice That Can Reduce Depression [Turmeric]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The Common Spice That Can Reduce Depression
www.spring.org.uk...

The Indian spice turmeric can help treat major depressive disorder, research finds.

Curcumin — the active ingredient in turmeric — was given to half of 56 participants who were experiencing major depression.

Two doses of 500mg daily was enough to improve several symptoms of depression after one month.

The supplement had the greatest effect on people who also had problems with weight gain, appetite and daytime sleepiness.

Curcumin is thought to be beneficial because it reduces inflammation, which is linked to depression.

So even though this study ties depression with people who have inflammatory problems I think maybe it is the resulting effects on someone's activities of daily living that affect one's attitude on life. Because inflammation is painful and can hinder one's enjoyment and use of one's own body, I would imagine that someone would have some level of depression.

They saying "variety is the spice of life" refers to spice in life rings true. Turmeric has been know to have many health benefits, including battling/preventing certain cancers.

Has anyone had positive effects with turmeric? And do you think this spice is helpful in alleviating depressive symptoms?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I'm glad you mentioned its anti-cancer properties as well. I combine turmeric with black pepper because it's supposed to increase your bodies ability to use the turmeric (curcumin). You can also get turmeric with piperine black pepper extract already in it.

I haven't noticed improvement in depression but it has seemed to help with digestive issues (which makes sense since it's supposed to battle inflammation, as is black pepper)
thanks for sharing this OP

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

In recent studies tumeric has been found to remove amyloid plaque in the brain associated with Alzheimers and dementia, so there may be a correlation there.

As an aid to digestion and detoxification of the liver a sidereal effect on depression is applied in materia medica.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I'm glad you mentioned its anti-cancer properties as well. I combine turmeric with black pepper because it's supposed to increase your bodies ability to use the turmeric (curcumin). You can also get turmeric with piperine black pepper extract already in it.

I haven't noticed improvement in depression but it has seemed to help with digestive issues (which makes sense since it's supposed to battle inflammation, as is black pepper)
thanks for sharing this OP

Interesting to know your combo with black pepper. I haven't tried that yet. But I have been combining turmeric with cayenne spice. I like the taste of a little zing!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
S&F Respect, thanks for this thread.

Turmeric is considered to be "Indian Gold" and use in most of their Ayurvedic remedies. I have read the ratio of 20:1 turmeric to pepper is needed for the curcumin to be absorbed by the body.

I try to use it in most everything I cook. There is so much we can do to heal ourselves and never leave the kitchen.

Look forward to reading of others uses of this wonderful spice.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Looking for Yoga Instructor course? Training & Certification for Teachers. 100 hours online theory + 100 hours (2 weeks) intensive practice in India.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The purpose of Yoga Instructors Course is to realize & fulfill your divine potential in life. Select from the classical yoga courses for Spiritual Education.
edit on 19-5-2017 by ganeshrao because: rong post so

top topics

join