It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

300 protest in Anaheim after videos show off-duty LAPD officer firing gun in dispute with teens

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

While I don't agree with him pulling the gun, those kids deserve a smackdown. Especially the ones that tackle him into the bushes, before he draws the gun.

What the hell happened to respecting peoples property? What is wrong with walking on the sidewalk?

What was the guy who jumped the bush and circled around his back side reaching into his back pocket for? I saw anyone of those guys ready and willing to throw punches or worst...
edit on 23-2-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Maybe a weapon, cell phone or a candy bar.

It's hard to say.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Telos
They're not just kids. They're a bunch of hooligans with no respect for someone's property and especially for the law. It amazes me how people justify this sort of behavior. Not only the man was in his property and within the right to protect it but also is a cop who received a death threat by a little punk with no regards whatsoever of the law. Look the behavior of other kids, including some females. Is deplorable. Our society is really going into a demise at a scary pace.

If you lived in my neighborhood back when you would awake to find egg on your car and toilet paper stringing everywhere.

We clowned ogres like that for fun.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to take the moral high ground here but I'm a parent of two kids almost at that age and I tell you this, if I was to hear my kids talk with that kind of language, especially to someone way older than them, I'd be devastated.

Don't get me wrong either, the protests, breaking windows, assault, etc are wrong on both of their parts.

My old school civi disobedient solution, eggs and toilet paper does little lasting harm to property or person, only presenting mess to clean up, and a bruised ego.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: seasonal

Update:

24 arrested so far. They will give every kid a criminal record for transgressing that lawn.

Lol, only in Murika.

KTLA

I think it's 24 protestors. They were throwing rocks at police and damaging the OP cop's property.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I know. What I meant was this all started over crossing someones lawn, I mean intolerance.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Maybe a weapon, cell phone or a candy bar.

It's hard to say.

Cell phones are big now, so not that. I'm going with a candy bar since it is logical for someone wanting to get behind him in this situation and eat it.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
After reading some California trespassing laws and self defense laws, it seems that the off duty police officer did commit assault. You can use appropriate force to remove a trespasser from your property after asking them to leave, but not chase them down kick them, and try to subdue them. I'm pretty sure the kids that witnessed the event are gonna corroborate with the 13 year old that was grabbed, not the off duty police officer. These kids were absolutely acting in self defense, just because you are a police officer doesn't make you above the law.

link   

Your maybe right, but the kid just came from school. We know schools have zero tolerance for weapons so there is no way he was coming home from school with a weapon. Right?

link   
Looks like the cop escalated the situation by detaining (assaulting/kidnap) the kid. When you start the issue, you don't generally get to use greater force. Poor handling of a fire arm also.

It didn't look as though the others were attacking him.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

He did get punched in the face @ 4 seconds in the video.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

After he dragged the kid around for quite a while and would not let him go. The kid wanted to be released.
edit on 2/23/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

So now you are saying they did in fact attack-assault him?
Or do you contend it was self defense?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I suppose it is whether he had the right to hold the kid and if he was on his property. Where I live, a person can't instigate a situation and claim self defense.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I have no idea, but the story explains that the 13 year old said he was going to shoot him, and with the trespass, some are saying the off duty LEO had the right.

I would have put a fence for the monsters to stomp down.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think a noteworthy point is that he didn't let the kid go and then pull his weapon. That puts doubt in my eyes about fear for his life. I would think at that point, in order to use the weapon against these people, the person would not keep holding on. He would want to be a better position to use it.

But that's just me.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

13 year old said he was going to shoot him

Did the kid produce a gun? People say that phrase often and it doesn't mean they can be legally shot. The kid had a long time to produce a weapon.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Now you are getting into the legal eagle stuff.

It appears he was threatened, now why was he threatened. Maybe because he had the runt buy the collar causing the other "kids" to swarm? You can trust this is going to be gone over with a fine tooth litigation comb.
edit on 23-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

True. And what ever the statutes allow.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
If only that guy had pulled that pistol out earlier and beaten that little thug until he couldn't scream anymore.

Then ... the lesson necessary would have been conveyed.

Had he shot anyone who was even barely attempting to interfere, I wouldn't convict from the juror's bench.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It's a kid. If he is not allowed to detain a trespasser, no pass. Seems he didn't state he was a cop (unless I missed it). Arrest the kid if it is that big of a deal.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Rough language in videos

A dispute with kids walking across his lawn has sparked protests.

A day after an off-duty Los Angeles police officer fired his gun during a confrontation with a group of teenagers in Anaheim, videos purportedly showing the encounter spread online, prompting questions about the officer’s actions.
www.latimes.com...

The video shows only the supposedly of duty police officer grabbing a kid and while holding his hand gun. This is while there is shouting and perhaps 6 teens in the area of the scuffle. The gun appears to go off in no certain direction or perhaps on accident.

No one was injured by the gunfire, but the footage — posted on YouTube and Facebook — sparked a flurry of phone calls and emails to Anaheim police, who are investigating the officer’s actions.
On Wednesday night, about 300 demonstrators took to the streets of Anaheim to protest the case. The marchers began in the west Anaheim neighborhood where the shooting occurred and eventually moved into major streets.

So now the chants start, rocks being thrown (careful, they can return with for real bullets) and there has been attempts to "protest" at the officers house.

Protesters chanted “Hands up, don’t shoot” and “Whose streets, our streets” as they marched around the residential neighborhoods surrounding Euclid Avenue.

Some threw rocks, cursed at police officers and kicked police cars. Others tried to protest at the house of the off-duty LAPD officer, which was nearby.

The video is real short, and the LAPD warned that this only shows a short part of the altercation. And this is a result of on going issues with juveniles walking on the police officers property. The off duty officer grabbed the kid when the juvenile threatened to shoot the off duty police officer.

He cautioned that the videos do not show the entirety of the encounter, capturing only a "very small portion."

Some have questioned why the officer wasn't arrested. Wyatt said detectives opted to finish their investigation before presenting their case to the district attorney's office for review.

Tuesday’s confrontation began over what Anaheim police described as “ongoing issues” with the juveniles walking across the officer’s property. During the argument, police said, a 13-year-old allegedly threatened to shoot the off-duty officer, prompting him to attempt to detain the teen.

Guys, look very carefully at seconds 3 and 4 at the rear pocket of the big kid in the red hoodie. I think he's packing a knife myself. If so that cop would have been more than justified to start shooting at those kids. That accidental shot may have saved that cop from a stabbing.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join