It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

300 protest in Anaheim after videos show off-duty LAPD officer firing gun in dispute with teens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Rough language in videos

A dispute with kids walking across his lawn has sparked protests.

A day after an off-duty Los Angeles police officer fired his gun during a confrontation with a group of teenagers in Anaheim, videos purportedly showing the encounter spread online, prompting questions about the officer’s actions.
www.latimes.com...

The video shows only the supposedly of duty police officer grabbing a kid and while holding his hand gun. This is while there is shouting and perhaps 6 teens in the area of the scuffle. The gun appears to go off in no certain direction or perhaps on accident.

No one was injured by the gunfire, but the footage — posted on YouTube and Facebook — sparked a flurry of phone calls and emails to Anaheim police, who are investigating the officer’s actions.
On Wednesday night, about 300 demonstrators took to the streets of Anaheim to protest the case. The marchers began in the west Anaheim neighborhood where the shooting occurred and eventually moved into major streets.

So now the chants start, rocks being thrown (careful, they can return with for real bullets) and there has been attempts to "protest" at the officers house.

Protesters chanted “Hands up, don’t shoot” and “Whose streets, our streets” as they marched around the residential neighborhoods surrounding Euclid Avenue.

Some threw rocks, cursed at police officers and kicked police cars. Others tried to protest at the house of the off-duty LAPD officer, which was nearby.

The video is real short, and the LAPD warned that this only shows a short part of the altercation. And this is a result of on going issues with juveniles walking on the police officers property. The off duty officer grabbed the kid when the juvenile threatened to shoot the off duty police officer.

He cautioned that the videos do not show the entirety of the encounter, capturing only a "very small portion."

Some have questioned why the officer wasn't arrested. Wyatt said detectives opted to finish their investigation before presenting their case to the district attorney's office for review.

Tuesday’s confrontation began over what Anaheim police described as “ongoing issues” with the juveniles walking across the officer’s property. During the argument, police said, a 13-year-old allegedly threatened to shoot the off-duty officer, prompting him to attempt to detain the teen.

edit on 23-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

(post by CulturalResilience removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yeah, I saw the longer version, on the news this morning. (surprisingly)

While I don't agree with him pulling the gun, those kids deserve a smackdown. Especially the ones that tackle him into the bushes, before he draws the gun.

What the hell happened to respecting peoples property? What is wrong with walking on the sidewalk?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The gun appears to go off in no certain direction or perhaps on accident.

I was thinking accidental discharge, too. The 'kids' fell back as soon as they saw the gun, there is no need to discharge a round to scare them at that point.

Kids as in students, cutting across mans property, probably to mess with him , he's such a blow hard about it, detaining one whom he claims threatened to kill him, the man with the gun is the threat.

Good one sir, only an off duty cop would do s*** like that to kids walking home from school.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The full video shows one of the teens do a running charge and knock the cop over the bushes. When the cop was on the left side. Ill try to find it.

edit on 23-2-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

Sorry this one doesn't show it clearly, it is around though, the kid with the red backpack.

Here it is.

link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

What was going through this stupid cops, and he was stupid, head? He should have had a camera from his point of view, does he think this is 1975? He maybe right, but now his life may very well never be the same.

Anyway, for the ones "protesting" (rioting) throwing rocks at cops, really, really bad idea. All it takes is one of these police officers who I think would be armed to the teeth to have enough.......

Edit: After seeing the whole video, (depending on why he grabbed the little runt) and the police officer was punched and the situation was escalating. He may have left the situation, maybe, but he may have been in fear for his life.
edit on 23-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

link   

Thank God for cops like this!

That 90 pound kid looked absolutely MENACING!

He ruined that grass for days! Possibly hours!

There's really only one punishment that fits: execution.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
A case of everyone is a jerk.

Be nice if we could see a full video of what happened.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Looks like the shooter was justifiably in fear of his life. Anyone, myself included carrying a gun would probably have produced it at that point, in the face of threat of a multiple person attack. Accidental discharge or not it certainly had the desired effect.

a reply to: intrptr

edit on 23-2-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Here is a longer video on DM.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The video does not show how this whole thing started, but the article says a girl (part of the group) walked through the off duty officer's lawn, he made a rude comment to her and thats when the kid stepped in and the scuffle started.

As for pulling his side arm, at that point I would have too. I can't say if it went of accidentally or not.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Yeah, I saw the longer version, on the news this morning. (surprisingly)

While I don't agree with him pulling the gun, those kids deserve a smackdown. Especially the ones that tackle him into the bushes, before he draws the gun.

What the hell happened to respecting peoples property? What is wrong with walking on the sidewalk?

Pretty much my opinion. I want to hear the whole story and see the whole video. This dude should not have pulled his firearm. If one of the kids pulled a weapon, sure, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Other than the gun, I don't see anything wrong with roughing up these kids if they were in fact harassing him on a daily basis.

To be clear, I think the police officer was in the wrong for brandishing his weapon. If it went off accidentally, he could have killed a kid. If it went off intentionally, the cop has incredibly bad judgement.

EDIT: Watched the longer version. Doesn't change my opinion of the cop much. I wonder, did he show identification that he was a police officer when trying to detain the kid? If not, how do these kids know he's a cop? Honestly, if my friend was being grabbed by some stranger, I'd probably try to punch/tackle this guy too.

The cop should have handled this much differently. He should have just let the kid go instead of escalating an already volatile situation. He already made his point. No need to make it worse.
edit on 23-2-2017 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Guess the paid protesters took a break from Trump and switched over to police brutality. Eh, it all pays the same.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Looks like the shooter was justifiably in fear of his life. Anyone, myself included carrying a gun would probably have produced it at that point in the face of threat of multiple person attack. Accidental discharge or not it certainly had the desired effect.

I have to agree. They started an attack and appeared to be surrounding him for another volly until he drew his weapon. Age does not matter when there are 10 of them. Why do people think the military prefers 17-18 year old's, prime physical condition.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I don't discount the factor that he could have been responsible for escalating the situation, but it does seem from the full version that ongoing issue was not of his making. Your right about the subsequent consequences this guy and his family now face.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Anyway, for the ones "protesting" (rioting) throwing rocks at cops, really, really bad idea. All it takes is one of these police officers who I think would be armed to the teeth to have enough.......

Last thing you want to do is start a war with a student body. He's a cop though, thinks he owns the world. Obviously this has been ongoing for a while.

If he met them on his lawn handing out cupcakes and asking nicely to go around he'd have fared much better. Takes a while to build lasting relationships with people, not long to organize them against you. Specially high school kids.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Tuesday’s confrontation began over what Anaheim police described as “ongoing issues” with the juveniles walking across the officer’s property.

Oh good. Here I was thinking this officer wasn't justified in drawing and discharging his gun to scare off some teenagers. < /sarc >
edit on 2/23/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yet they do not protest the violent teens who were trying to jump a cop. It reminds me of "moderate" Muslims protesting the drawing of muhammad, but not the Muslims who tried to kill people over it.

XL5

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I like how the mood only really changes when they hear the shot. It is like they think they can get away with murder because they have tested peoples authority and nothing has really happened. They can only do/try this crap in groups. I think he was right for firing his gun (not shooting them), if more people did this, maybe they would think twice before trying to rustle peoples jimmy's.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Looks like the shooter was justifiably in fear of his life. Anyone, myself included carrying a gun would probably have produced it at that point, in the face of threat of a multiple person attack. Accidental discharge or not it certainly had the desired effect.

Thats how you see it, I saw the kids trying to rescue their friend from the clutches of an evil troll.

"Hey he didndu nuffin, lettem go!"

He's under arrest, he cut across my lawn and mouthed off.

Big deal.

Bang! (thats the big deal)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Yeah I think the guy should have just let him go a lot earlier after giving the kid a good talking to. If they continued to taunt him and not move the # off his property afterwards - then the kids were asking for a good scare - which they certainly got when that gun went off!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join