It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did all of the bigotry come from? (You are not to blame)

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: HeathenJessie

You have made assumptions that are truly beyond the pale. All that you offer is sweeping generalisations. I know when the Irish were portrayed as bestial sub humans. You may not know this but it was a long time ago. Yes there was a time when the Irish were not classed as white!!

DId you ever read "The Water babies"? DId you ever find the unexpurgated version of that English classic? If you are Irish do you would pale at the racism. Of course all of this is wrong in so many people's eye's because they I go again looking backwards when I should be looking forwards.

I love the Simpsons except for the anti Irish racism. They Simpsons simply use three simple tropes. The Irish Cop. The Violent Irish man and of course River Dance! It is wrong to seek to Offend people just for the sake of it. But you see otherwise. I never use Irish jokes because I do not wish to offend people in terms of race but then again I am a liberal.

The huge difference between an Irish Joke and a black joke is one community became fully integrated as humans long before the other did which is why I mention 1965.

I like Chris Rock. Yu may wish to google his jokes about N+ggers. The thing is we enjoy those jokes because it is in a black settling. Do white people like Chris? Yep. White people do go to his concerts.

The Right still wants the right to Offend various groups as part of their manifest destiny.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

I'll tell you where all the bigotry came from. Used to be if you wanted to flaunt your bigotry (hate) of any flavor you had to don a bed sheet and cone hat and protest in the street.

Dangerous now, especially alone.

But the same hateful scourge can go online and hurl their anonymous hatred anywhere without the sheet.

They may wear swastikas or kill em all tattoos on every inch of their body, but flavor their rhetoric on line so as to hide, just like when they demonstrate under bed sheets.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiger5

Looking back to the 60's...almost 60 years ago, is looking forwards?

My father is Irish, my mother is Scottish.

I'm not making sweeping generalisations at all I'm speaking from personal experience - as an Irish catholic who grew up in a very loyalist area of Glasgow.

Trust me I know oppression...I was standing right across the street on the day a 16 year old irish catholic was glassed in the throat with a pint tumbler at Bridgeton cross, an area I was brought up in.

I also spent several years living in London. I don't need a book to tell me what I experienced.

Like I said, all races can claim discrimination and oppression if the WANT to.

edit on 25-2-2017 by HeathenJessie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Also - you speak of making sweeping generalisations then assume that I'm happy to make jokes about Irish people...I never said that...you assumed that, you wonderful liberal, you.

I said I've heard numerous Irish jokes...I'm half Irish, half Scottish.

And the violent Irish man you speak of from the simposns is who..Willie the Janitor?

He's supposed to be a Scot.

So you lump Irish and Scots into the same category? Isn't tha tsweeping generalisation?

Isn't conflating one race with another based on a few similar trais bigoted and sort of racist?

That's hilarious...no, you made assumptions and generalisations and AGAIN failed to fully read and understand my points.

I said I've been told nuuuumerous Irish and Scottish jokes, not that I told them or found them funny...they're essentialy poking fun at my own people.

I just ain't crying over it...because the same stupidity has been applied to every race, creed, colour tint or hue that has ever walked this planet.

What are we, a race of crybabies?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
So - to clarify, i base my views on what I lived and breathed, you base yours apparently on some book you read.

Says it all, really.

FYI the boy I witnessed being stabbed in the throat by a loyalist simply because he was an Irish catholic wearing a football scarf died that day in the street.

We all went down and put out flowers, wraths, football tops and scarves to pay respects...and on the other side of the street stood rows of angry loyalists who were outraged that one of their maniac friends was jailed that day for murder. They spat on us, swors at us, burned the wreaths, scarves and soccer tops. A few days later we went out into the streets and the paving stones had been painted red, white and blue in an act of outright defiance...how dare they persecute a murderer who was brave enough to cut the throat of a young boy!

[Mod note: snipped last sentence.]
edit on 25/2/17 by JustMike because: Snipped an inappropriate personal comment.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Bigotry is defined as the extreme intolerance of any creed, belief or opinion, which differs from one's own. This includes Trump supporters, as well as, supporters of politicians on the left & groups like Islam, BLM, KKK, etc., according to the definition. I believe the main difference lies in the amount of hatred & violence perpetrated by a particular group towards another group. Imo, there is far more hatred & violence perpetrated by the left towards the right vs hatred & violence on the right perpetrated towards the left.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

Truth.

Respect.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeathenJessie

Also - you speak of making sweeping generalisations then assume that I'm happy to make jokes about Irish people...I never said that...you assumed that, you wonderful liberal, you.

I said I've heard numerous Irish jokes...I'm half Irish, half Scottish.

And the violent Irish man you speak of from the simposns is who..Willie the Janitor?

He's supposed to be a Scot.

So you lump Irish and Scots into the same category? Isn't tha tsweeping generalisation?

Isn't conflating one race with another based on a few similar trais bigoted and sort of racist?

That's hilarious...no, you made assumptions and generalisations and AGAIN failed to fully read and understand my points.

I said I've been told nuuuumerous Irish and Scottish jokes, not that I told them or found them funny...they're essentialy poking fun at my own people.

I just ain't crying over it...because the same stupidity has been applied to every race, creed, colour tint or hue that has ever walked this planet.

What are we, a race of crybabies?

Wow You really don't know about the Simpson don't you?? I was not referring to groundkeeper Willie. I have worked in Scotland and North and Southern Ireland but don't let that fact get in your analysis.
I actually do not care what your ancestry is. You choose to attack me on my liberalism well at least I have decent manners and do with wish to stereotype a mass of people.

Then I notice that you finally realise that most Irish jokes poke fun at Irish people. Bravo. Don't you think it happens to other people. So look at black jokes told by Whites more carefully.

Then you do have a talent in arguing it both ways. Then we get to your real problem - my liberalism. Fine. I am liberal because try not to be rude and vulgar to people. Yu obviously revel in your rudeness and vulgarity or you would not attack me as a liberal. Do you fart, burp, slurp your soup and scratch your crotch at your dinner parties too? I was taught that "Manners maketh man" -in the generic sense! Were you?

I know tht the same stupidity is said about every race colour and creed but is it right?
edit on 25-2-2017 by Tiger5 because: Add in more text

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I don't know any black jokes...people are too scared to tell them.

I thought I made that clear...you're right I don't watch the simpsons, I did when I was a kid...I'm not a kid now.

Who attacked your liberalism? I don't think you are actually liberal, you just think you are. Your liberalism stretches as far as you're told it should by whatever is currently hip and trendy and being pushed by the propaganda you lap up at every opportunity.

You're not liberal, you're just saying what you think you're expected to say in the hope that you'll be seen saying it by all the right people.

It's not liberalism it's fear. You're afraid to speak your mind so you speak someone elses.

Now go watch your cartoons, the adults were having a conversation.

Just to add - I never attacked you, I didn't even address you.

You addressed me after I responded to this thread, I actually responded directly to someone else.

You addressed me...you speak about manners, yet you assume you should be able to address someone in a condescending, uneducated way and that they shouldn't respond...aren't you the important one?

I made it quite clear several times that jokes are made about all races, but rarely about blacks...there you go refusing to take your own medicine again...you should read an entire post!

You most certainly are rude, and self important, self congratulatory and less clever than you seem to think...and you ain't liberal, either.

It's an act.

Nobody said anything was right, you're letting your assumptions make your mind up for you, again - the point is nobody cares about anyone else being discriminated if they're white.

Do you always struggle to pick up on obvious points?

edit on 25-2-2017 by HeathenJessie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

*WORDS*?

I grew up possibly longer ago than any one of you on this thread. My
childhood was in another country, and I was brought up to be well
mannered and polite. I grew up using certain words which were correct
and polite.

I finished my education, married, had children, a career, divorced, life
took over then I retired, and with more time on my hands etc. I discovered
that maybe some people would consider me racists or nasty.

WHY? .....The sickness, the contagion the spreading of the decease
called political correctness!!

BECAUSE .... the words of my childhood were now non rigueur and as I had
been so busy with life, and had had no necessity of using them ... had not
even noticed.

# Muhammadan .... If I used it people looked at me blankly so I googled it,
and it happened to now be the word for Muslim, a term no longer favored
by them.

# Negro or Coloured .... Black was rude unacceptable,I would have been
in trouble using it but I gather now it is preferred.

# Queer .... Well Gay was 'jolly' so that was an odd one to figure out!

# Mongol ... now Downs syndrome.

# Spastic .... now physically challenged

# Crippled ... now disabled. (we had a crippled child in the family)

# Paki ...short for Pakistani in the same way as Brit is short for British?

# Golly ..... a much loved soft toy enjoyed by self and children.

# B4stard .... there are only love children now.

# Blind .... now visually impaired

# Retarded .... mental disability.

*WORDS* been around a long time, not meant to be offensive perhaps
they are misunderstood in the delivery? OR are some people continuously
on edge ready to be offended??

^^^that^^^ must be where SJW and *snowflakes* come in.

Edit to add: Hope my words pass the auto censor/fingers crossed

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBIZZ
Bigotry is defined as the extreme intolerance of any creed, belief or opinion, which differs from one's own. This includes Trump supporters, as well as, supporters of politicians on the left & groups like Islam, BLM, KKK, etc., according to the definition. I believe the main difference lies in the amount of hatred & violence perpetrated by a particular group towards another group. Imo, there is far more hatred & violence perpetrated by the left towards the right vs hatred & violence on the right perpetrated towards the left.

Intolerance to bigotry is not bigotry, I just laugh at people who try to turn the tables..."you dislike my ideas, my ideas that my religion is better than yours, my ideas that mexicans need to go home, I think that the gov't should ban federal handouts to churches that are sanctions for immigrants, my thoughts that gays should go back into the closet and that trans are mentally ill? "

"You dislike that? you are the bigot then!"

You guys are funny, funny as in sad

edit on 25-2-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Fighting against a wildfire using fire will not result in putting the wildfire out.

Fighting a flood by adding water does not result in clearing the flood.

You cannot argue with the above logic. Therefore, one must ask: if people claim to want to erase racism and bigotry, why would they excuse the use of racism and bigotry to achieve this? It becomes clear that the actual aim is not to erase these things, but rather to quench a thirst for revenge by turning the tables on their perceived enemy.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

again i will say...intolerance to bigotry is not bigotry.

But...maybe you know that and trying to say that when confronted by a bigot we should just sit there, put ourselves in their shoes (hmmm...why is this person so mean to mexicans? Is she miserable? yes. Is she hateful? yes. Is this good for herself? no. Is this nice to the mexican? no. Did the mexican do anything bad to her? no, he was just sitting there talking in his native language and she just busted up and said to talk American or go home. So ok, I understand that what she is doing is bad and mean and hateful, but ...it is her opinion and she can treat anyone she wants like crap bc...opinions...)

NO, that is not how it works. If your opinion is bigoted...it does not or should not get respect.

Do not confuse bigotry with Different opinions, different opinions are great...i love healthy debate and new ways of thinking...however, as soon as bigotry sneaks in...NOT OK.

To call me a bigot bc I do not tolerate bigotry is asinine.

Do you understand me?

Perhaps I don't quite understand you?

btw, fighting fire with fire DOES put out fires.
edit on 25-2-2017 by veracity because: to add

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

You can earn prejudice.

If you spent 20 years in a Mexican prison for trumped up charges pushed through a kangaroo court, you might have earned a prejudice against Mexicans. It doesn't make you right or justified. But it makes you different that the skinhead in Illinois who joined the Nazi's because he was tired of seeing people at the mall with their pants too low.

I hate Illinois Nazi's.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: HeathenJessie

You bring up some good points. I like your posts, keep it up!

To your point about "liberalism". Most "Liberals" are not true liberals anymore. They have dropped the ball. This thread is an EXCELLENT example of what the far left has become. Classic liberals, the middle, and of course, the right are sick and tired of the labels. It's beyond insane. The "left" now is not what it once was. The far left have infiltrated the whole left. And there's not much left of it!

Here is a great video, from a classic liberal explaining what is wrong with the left. THIS is why the OP and people whom support the crazy views of the OP have failed so miserably.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I can see how that makes you prejudiced but racism is not a point system. You do not get to earn the right to be racist.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Watching the alt-right try and create an alt-left is very interesting.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
I can see how that makes you prejudiced but racism is not a point system. You do not get to earn the right to be racist.

People need permission now to be prejudiced or racist? O.o

If racism is not a point system, can you explain why Affirmative Action exists?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: Wookiep

Yikes, NVM.
edit on 26-2-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Your posts are very confusing to me, I think there may be communication lost in messaging.

What I was saying is no one gets allowable or excusable points so to say for bigotry or racism.

For example, let's say John Doe lives next to a black family. This black family is up late every night, plays loud music, lets their big barking dogs out at 3am, lots of traffic at the house, drinks beer on the porch every night, never mows grass...John Doe is not excused from being a racist.

Just bc John experienced inconvenience from this black family does not give him the right to hate blacks.

Let's say he moved, and in his new location...again he has a difficult black neighbor to deal with...still, no allowable points should be given to become a racist.

He is allowed to think "geesh, I am the most unluckiest guy ever when it comes to neighbors" but to assume all blacks and only blacks can be inconvenient neighbors is racism.

Never in any circumstance are you allowed "points" to be a bigot or racist.

I can definitely see how that is racism is formed, it's unfortunate and ignorant
edit on 26-2-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join