It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump returns the power of bathrooom rules back to the states

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
All this wasted time and effort and thought on bathroom policies for .06% of the USA population.

Can we please move on to something important? This should never be a headline or a thread or anything.

What a joke.

I agree.

Let's stop making laws that discriminate against so few Americans and move on.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I agree with your post whole heartedly.

Legitimate Transgender students should be able to feel safe and have the complete support of the community. As I said being a teen is stressful, I can only imagine that it is 1000x worse for a transgender kid.

It is a difficult situation to rectify (not the identity, but the law). Transgender kids are going to be "in the spotlight" no matter what. A girl using the boys locker room, a boy using the girls locker room, or a separate locker room for transgender boys and girls, is going to put the emphasis of the individual student.

Throwing up our hands and saying "everyone use whatever" or "use the plumbing that matches your plumbing" isn't going to work, as neither one is going to protect the most vulnerable members of society (legitimate transgenders).

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: rickymouse
I think something like this issue should be a state issue. The states can make sure there are some single bathrooms that these kids can use, they can be used by any student and even any parent who comes into the school. They have these bathrooms in many places already, one person at a time, a picture of a man and woman on the door.

WHY?

One good reason this should be a state issue?

There isn't one - - except religious belief (primarily).

And this is why you lost.........

This attitude of nanny state focusing on identity politics is why you have a orange baffoon as president

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: rickymouse

How is it "extra rights" to be able to use the bathroom of the gender you are?

If you are a boy, you use the boys bathroom, if you are a girl then you use the girls bathroom. Only when the identifying parts are completely removed is a guy a girl. Same with a girl. I have no problem with having a sex change then using the bathroom of the sex you are, until that time though, use one of those single bathrooms with a lady and man on them.

We all have the same rights, I can't go into a Woman's bathroom and use it, unless of course the mens is out of order and there is someone watching the door so no women come in while I am using it.

Yes, that's what these folks want ... they want to use the facilities that match their gender.

"identifying parts?" Wow. Medical science disagrees with you, as do the courts.

I'm going to say something that seems rude and coarse: your personal beliefs about what makes up a person's gender are not relevant. Why is it you think that you (or those who think like you) can stipulate who someone else is?

You can't go into a woman's bathroom because you aren't a woman. A transwoman is a woman.

That's the fundamental disconnect here, you (and those who believe as you do) want to impose your beliefs on the world.

Give me one shred of evidence that states definitely that the brain of every transgender person is of the opposite sex that they want to go to. You can't. I have read a lot of articles and these articles just notice an association or they notice similarities. These associations and similarities can be because of food chemistry the person eats if they have been consuming it for a while.

The people in the courts you talk about do not know that half the evidence is not really precise. Evidence is interpretted and how you interpret it is important as to how it is utilized. I know enough about the subject of body chemistry and the interaction of food chemistry and enzymes and hormones to know that we can steer the body to create changes just by what we consume.

Yes, there are infinite variations in male and female chemistry in people. Men do not need to be Macho or manly, women do not need to be feminine. I remember the days when a feminine male would marry a woman who was more male than female. They did not need to have a sex change. Society is just going in the wrong direction. People are looking at things negatively all over the country. Blaming nature for a difference between people, Oh I am the wrong sex, I need to spend ten grand to fix the problem.

Look at the money trail. Where does all the money from these sex changes go? It doesn't go to the schools to educate the kids to learn we all are different and that how much hormone you produce does not matter. No it goes to the doctors and Pharma companies. They profit by us believing it matters when in fact differences in people's thinking has always been.

I try to look at the whole picture and see there is a problem with society. People are judgemental, maybe we should look at the bible for guidance in that. I have nothing against these people who go through sex changes, I just see they may be being steered in the wrong direction. Some are doing it for attention, not for the reason they think they are doing it. A friend of my granddaughter is changing his sex, he was lonely and is getting attention from his friends who are agreeing with his choice to become a girl. Kids grow apart, how do we know what his/her future will bring. My granddaughter is pushing him into the change by reinforcing his beliefs. He is a nice guy, I don't know why he is going through all of this, there is someone for him out there. It may take a few years to find the right person, changing your sex is not necessary.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Did you really just say that it's people's diet that makes them have gender dysphoria? Really??

People have had gender dysphoria for centuries - all different cultures with all different diets. I think we can safely say that you don't get gender dysphoria from eating too many burgers.

People with gender dysphoria are diagnosed usually by a team of healthcare professionals. Most of these professionals have been studying gender dysphoria for years and years. They know the difference between someone who has some other issue, like a mental health disorder and someone whose brain is telling them they are a different gender than their physical body. A person who feels this way usually has YEARS of counseling, therapy and treatment before ever actually undergoing sexual reassignment surgery (and many don't actually go on to have that surgery for various reasons).

Big Pharma would make more money in the long run if they could just provide a pill that the person with gender dysphoria could take for life to end the dysphoria. Know what? There isn't a pill that exists to solve that problem. No amount of therapy alone has solved the problem. The people who have been studying this for YEARS have found the best solution is to encourage the person with gender dysphoria to live their life as the gender they identify with. Nothing else has worked.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I question why these people are even having a sex change. The thing is that this animal instinct is being capitalized on by those who profit by us following their evidence. Our sex shouldn't mean anything as far as society goes, we are all supposed to be equal and not judge others.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
How is anyone supposed to know what actual genitalia a person has if the look like a little bit of either?
Or if a woman looks a little bit tomboyish?
There are privacy doors.

If ever, someone tells me I'm in the wrong bathroom (women's), I'm likely to flip out. And I've heard of this happening to women, just because of this issue. Tomboyish real women have been dragged out of the bathroom that they're supposed to be in.

This whole issue has gotten so ridiculous.
If you look more like a woman and identify as such use the woman's.
Same With men.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The chemistry of food we eat influences our personality and even our brain structure. Cocaine and opium are not the only plant defense chemistries out there. The chemistry of a cup of coffee actually interacts with our hormones and consequently our perception. The bromelaine in beer or pineapple can make a guy produce more testosterone.

If you are going to challenge me on this subject, first do some research, I have been studying this stuff for over seven years now. Plant defense chemistry is some very influential chemistry on the mind just as the chemistry of microbes in our guts is. Yogurt does effect our thinking as well as any aged food chemisty

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Yeah....

The Unisex bathroom non-issue is still an issue to those who have never pooped outside of their own house...

Just go in and lock the door already...

Problem (non-problem) solved.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Yes food can increase testosterone or estrogen in your body. Having more testosterone or estrogen in your body does not make you feel the opposite gender. You may have more facial hair if you are a female with too much testosterone, but that doesn't make you sure in your brain that you are a guy. You may have larger breasts if you are a male with too much estrogen, but that doesn't make you sure in your brain that you are a girl.

I have known of big, broad-shouldered, hairy chested men with plenty of testosterone in their bodies who had gender dysphoria. My aunt was having a problem with too much testosterone in her body, yet she never once was convinced she was a guy.

There have been children who had gender dysphoria and knew it at very young ages (like 3 or 4 years old) - well before the age of puberty.
edit on 23-2-2017 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
How is anyone supposed to know what actual genitalia a person has if the look like a little bit of either?
Or if a woman looks a little bit tomboyish?
There are privacy doors.

If ever, someone tells me I'm in the wrong bathroom (women's), I'm likely to flip out. And I've heard of this happening to women, just because of this issue. Tomboyish real women have been dragged out of the bathroom that they're supposed to be in.

This whole issue has gotten so ridiculous.
If you look more like a woman and identify as such use the woman's.
Same With men.

There aren't privacy doors on the locker rooms for the gyms in school. There are urinals in boys bathrooms that aren't in stalls.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

In the women's gyms there have always been curtains. At least there was in any place that I've been.
Plus, there should, or could be doors on the stalls. Can't a person go into the stall to pee?

Maybe they should put some curtains in the boys shower stalls too. Build them like the girls locker rooms.
Unless that's all changed since I went to school, but I don't know why they would have.
Everyone deserves a curtain, at the very least.
edit on 23-2-2017 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Yes food can increase testosterone or estrogen in your body. Having more testosterone or estrogen in your body does not make you feel the opposite gender. You may have more facial hair if you are a female with too much testosterone, but that doesn't make you sure in your brain that you are a guy. You may have larger breasts if you are a male with too much estrogen, but that doesn't make you sure in your brain that you are a girl.

I have known of big, broad-shouldered, hairy chested men with plenty of testosterone in their bodies who had gender dysphoria. My aunt was having a problem with too much testosterone in her body, yet she never once was convinced she was a guy.

There have been children who had gender dysphoria and knew it at very young ages (like 3 or 4 years old).

It is all about hormones and body chemistry. It is about tyramine chemistry which makes neurotransmitters. The drugs that Pharma companies use to change your sex are derived from studying nature, they are found in nature. They just put them into a pill form.

Another thing I have concluded from studying epigenetics and pharmacology is that there is no evidence that these chemicals used to change a persons sex will not cause problems in the future. Some people might do better and others may have health issues after years or decades after the treatments. Every person will respond differently. I have not seen any long term safety studies on this issue. Just because they feel a little better initially does not mean that they will not have issues later.

Our genes are way more complex than anyone can comprehend. I would say that asking someone who specializes in epigenetics would be the place to start, they would probably say that the result would be unknown. That is if they have an open mind. Just because you believe something does not mean it is real.

Sure, these transgender people will feel better because they believe there is a difference after the transition, this difference might just be like a person who believes they are healed from an evangalist quack healer get stimulated and temorarily reverse some cancers. Yes, attitude is what can fix a lot of issues.

But why not just tell the person that you like them for what they are, not agree they should change their sex to make them feel that it will help. Eventually this may worsen things. I am all for just being friends with people no matter who they are. I had a lot of girls as friends, I was not gay but I got along good with women. To me the sex of a person does not matter. I am married and have kids, but I did not need to get married, I did not need a woman to feel whole. But I like being married too. I like having kids. I know they are my kids too, All our genetics were done, even my ex wifes.

The whole thing is that I do not feel our sex should define us at all, our honesty and integrity and friendliness with each other should define us. We are all different but are still alike.

I also do not discriminate because of how good a person looks or because of a person's weight. A lot of people do that and that is very wrong in my thinking. I used to be decent looking when I was younger but I would hang out with everyone, not just the good looking skinny people. My oldest daughter is too hung up on looks, I try to tell her that is not something you should use to judge someone. I no longer am very good looking and I am not skinny anymore. But I still have lots of friends I have made. Not all good looking people are judgemental either, but many of them are hung up on looks. Right there is the biggest problem our society faces, not whether someone is transgender or the color they are.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

In the women's gyms there have always been curtains. At least there was in any place that I've been.
Plus, there should, or could be doors on the stalls. Can't a person go into the stall to pee?

Maybe they should put some curtains in the boys shower stalls too. Build them like the girls locker rooms.
Unless that's all changed since I went to school, but I don't know why they would have.
Everyone deserves a curtain, at the very least.

Not in the boys shower stalls. Maybe things have changes now but not that I know of.

There are people out there, although rare, that are born with both sex glands. That is a different issue, I wouldn't know how to address that issue.

My big issue with this is why they should need to go transgender at all. We have had different kinds of guys and gals forever, they do not really need to change their sex to be happy. They feel they need to because of peer pressure, the kids in school that are oversexed often make kids seem inferior and it is their attitude that needs correcting, not their body. There is someone for you if you feel this way, you do not need to change. I don't understand how our society is even going this way, just help these people cope and let them know they are not alone with this, there are lots of people who are in this same situation, most just find a person to love and they feel good.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

It is all about hormones and body chemistry. It is about tyramine chemistry which makes neurotransmitters. The drugs that Pharma companies use to change your sex are derived from studying nature, they are found in nature. They just put them into a pill form.

Another thing I have concluded from studying epigenetics and pharmacology is that there is no evidence that these chemicals used to change a persons sex will not cause problems in the future. Some people might do better and others may have health issues after years or decades after the treatments. Every person will respond differently. I have not seen any long term safety studies on this issue. Just because they feel a little better initially does not mean that they will not have issues later.

There are no drugs that "change your sex". If you mean hormones, what they accomplish is to give your body more of the physical features that align with your gender identity. Surgery also helps to get the physical features more in alignment with the gender identity.

A person with gender dysphoria usually works with a team of healthcare professionals, including an endocrinologist.

Are there risks in taking hormones? Probably. Are there risks in having surgery? Sure. Sometimes the benefits are worth the risks. When faced with suicide due to a life of misery when your body doesn't match your brain, you are willing to take those risks. Who are you to tell them they shouldn't?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

My big issue with this is why they should need to go transgender at all. We have had different kinds of guys and gals forever, they do not really need to change their sex to be happy. They feel they need to because of peer pressure, the kids in school that are oversexed often make kids seem inferior and it is their attitude that needs correcting, not their body. There is someone for you if you feel this way, you do not need to change. I don't understand how our society is even going this way, just help these people cope and let them know they are not alone with this, there are lots of people who are in this same situation, most just find a person to love and they feel good.

You couldn't be more wrong. It would be so much easier if these kids didn't have the dysphoria - if they could just live happily with their gender identity matching their physical. These kids are bullied, harassed, teased, beaten up, shunned, etc., etc. Peer pressure wants them to conform and act and live according to their physical sex. They are brave enough to go against peer pressure when they opt to transition.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

You couldn't be more wrong. It would be so much easier if these kids didn't have the dysphoria - if they could just live happily with their gender identity matching their physical. These kids are bullied, harassed, teased, beaten up, shunned, etc., etc. Peer pressure wants them to conform and act and live according to their physical sex. They are brave enough to go against peer pressure when they opt to transition.

We should be working on the kids that bully, harass, tease, and beat them up or shun these people who are a little different. Change society instead of dividing it. All this bathroom issue is doing is furthering the divide. You can't change people by forcing them, they react oppositely. I am old enough and have known a lot of people and know you cannot correctly force people to change their beliefs. It has to be done the right way. I am not for having males in a female's bathroom, my attitude has actually gotten more against this measure since I have been discussing it on here. You cannot change people by force, Ad Hominum does not work, neither does parroting only one solution. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

The thing is to let these kids know they are not alone and that everyone is different and we need to understand that. Then the schools must condition the kids to quit the hate they are spreading against anyone who does not believe like they do.

I do not believe that these kids need to change their sex, I believe we need to examine our society. Right now the people who are backing these kids and trying to force their rights on others are making things worse, that is not good for these transgender people. They can have their operations and get changed then use the bathroom they now have the sex organs for. These operations should not be paid for with taxpayer dollars either. Pretty soon everyone will be getting cosmetic surgery paid for because they have mental issues because of their looks.

These kids need help fitting in, not operations. They need to understand most of us have had feelings of being different and we get through it. I did when I was young, I felt I was looked at as a Nerd because I was always trying to be logical and fair and not impulsive like the other kids my age. Back in the sixties, Nerds were not looked up to.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: happyperson

Good one! I thought Obama was gonna change the country name to: "Federal American States"

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

You just don't understand gender dysphoria.

Yes, we need to stop the bullying. Yes we need to support these trans kids and let them know they are not alone. That won't get rid of the dysphoria. All the love in the world won't get rid of dysphoria. Kids with gender dysphoria know, they KNOW beyond any shadow of doubt that their body isn't right according to what their brain is telling them. They can't just shut the brain off. They can't just "be happy with what they have". There is no pill or food or hug that will solve the dysphoria.

The ONLY thing that has shown to have any success is to allow the kid to live their life as the gender their brain tells them they are. Then we work on the bullying by the other kids. Then we work on helping parents and teachers treat these kids with respect and kindness and understanding.

Just as a side note, kids don't have sex reassignment surgery. There's a process you go through that takes years, before surgery happens.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

You just don't understand gender dysphoria.

Yes, we need to stop the bullying. Yes we need to support these trans kids and let them know they are not alone. That won't get rid of the dysphoria. All the love in the world won't get rid of dysphoria. Kids with gender dysphoria know, they KNOW beyond any shadow of doubt that their body isn't right according to what their brain is telling them. They can't just shut the brain off. They can't just "be happy with what they have". There is no pill or food or hug that will solve the dysphoria.

The ONLY thing that has shown to have any success is to allow the kid to live their life as the gender their brain tells them they are. Then we work on the bullying by the other kids. Then we work on helping parents and teachers treat these kids with respect and kindness and understanding.

Just as a side note, kids don't have sex reassignment surgery. There's a process you go through that takes years, before surgery happens.

First thing is the brains do not determine gender, if they did then I would have to say that all women would be better at reasoning than guys and that guys can think faster than women. I actually understand what you are talking about more than you probably do. I studied the brain a lot because I have epilepsy and got deep into how things work. Gender dysphoria is nothing but a name for a condition where people think a little more like the opposite sex, that is not a problem at all. They start to identify with the opposite sex more. I think more like a woman most times, I actually listen to people and try to steer them into the proper direction and to pay attention to what is happening around them. Guys act on impulse and are more apt most time to take risk.

All gender identity is is in how you identify with your gender. I am somewhat like my mother, also like my father. My granddaughter says I act like a grandmother sometimes about some issues. A person has a little of both in them, even our sex is determined by a majority of different genetic snps and we are either male or female because of that. There is a lot of different variances in the amount of male or female in us.

So Identifying ourselves with the right gender can be done, we do not need to go have an operation. The condition does have some ties to the way the mind is wired, how the thoughts go through the brain. But the difference between a conservative and a liberal also are many times caused by how thoughts go through the brain. Does that mean we have to vote straight Republican or Democrat because of the way it goes. No we have lots of variables we can choose from.

Same with this issue, this would be better addressed with explaining to someone that just because they are not like the other males means nothing, that everyone has different ways. Don't only give them the option to become a women, that is ridiculous. I know lots of guys who are married and have a family and they are really good dads, almost like they are a woman bringing up their young. What if they would have changed their sex when they were young, they wouldn't have any kids. Is this even fair, they would make a great parent. I think that people need to look at the whole picture on this, not just what now is socially being pushed as the new norm. These people can still have kids if they do not mess with their hardware.

I got my old 87 Chevy pickup outside, I just plowed with it. It has some rust, I do like Fords. I am not going to put the Ford Fenders from my other truck on that Chevy, one is a chevy, one is a Ford. They are different, just because I like the Ford Fenders better doesn't mean I am going to change them.

edit on 23-2-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join