It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking Dead T-Shirt Pulled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Claimed as racist and offensive.

The piece of clothing in question bears the bloodied baseball bat of Jeffery Dean Morgan's villain Negan and references the intense season six finale which saw the character select which character to kill by using the rhyme 'Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe.'

Methodist minister Mr Lucraft pointed out that the “Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe” counting rhyme - which has been around since the 18th century - originally included the line: “catch a n***er’ by his toe.”

www.independent.co.uk...

Now the verbiage used currently and commonly does not reflect what the song 'was.'

The first record of a similar rhyme is from about 1815, when children in New York City are said to have repeated the rhyme:

Hana, man, mona, mike;
Barcelona, bona, strike;
Hare, ware, frown, vanac;
Harrico, warico, we wo, wac

Later it was changed:

This version was similar to that reported by Henry Carrington Bolton as the most common version among American schoolchildren in 1888.[14] It was used in the chorus of Bert Fitzgibbon's 1906 song "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo":

en.wikipedia.org...

Something like this used in popular culture without nary a word until now?

Now anecdotally, the kids that I grew up with all used this as a method for picking our football teams. We were inner city kids with lineage surrounding the globe.

edit on 22-2-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

They had to dig deep for this one, real deep.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Indeed. However, it worked, for one distributor anyway. Are all old cliche's and memes going to be held into account for hurt feelings going forward? The west is getting very thin skinned.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
As close as I can get.

Buck
edit on 22-2-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well, I hope if we are ever faced with a zombie apocalypse, the undead and prominent evil overlords will at least have the decency to complete diversity sensitivity training.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

Fitting!

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This is offensive? What the hell....

And coming from the same society that still affectionately calls tank tops "wife beaters". Surprised the social justice warriors haven't been burning tank tops in the streets.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Wait until summer. I think we will see new depths of stupidity.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

More insanity from the Left.

Some of these people must spend all their lives looking for reasons to be unhappy.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I don't know, but something tells me this could be a troll. No one is that stupid, surely? The guy's comment's can't be serious, lol.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I'd much rather this be a troll, than an actual "idea" this guy has...

I wonder if "one potato, two potato..." is going to be next? That whole Irish thing.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
When people are more offended by the slogan on the t shirt than the fact the company uses real slave labour to make its cheap products something is wrong.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Yup, this is pretty dumb..are they going to ask the offending episode be destroyed/banished.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It's "The Walking Dead." I have personally had to stop watching certain extremely painful and brutal episodes but I love it. Just someone looking for a fight-those Obama lovers will not give up-they had honed their sensitivities and still feel like someone cares about their constant social injustice fits. Gone, baby, gone.

Of all the offensiveness on "The Walking Dead" and this is a concern-in an apocalypse these sjw types will be the first to go-meet Negan.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Back in the 60's / early 70's when i was a kid we used this rhyme quite a lot, no one at the time took offence because at the time that is what we were brought up with, we also had "Golly Wogs" (a soft toy with black face, hands and feet), the "Black and White Minstrel Show" a variety show that had white entertainers "black" themselves up for the show, comedy shows like "Love Thy Neighbour" one neighbour / family being white, the other family being black. Plenty of what could be considered racist comments "today" but back in the day it was comedy (and the black fella in the show give as good as he got i would say - some of the show can still be found on YouTube if you require context)

Back to the OP. The rhyme after the words "catch a n****r by the toe" ended, in my neck of the woods, "if it squeals let it go - Eeny Meeny Miny Moe".

Seems they liberals only have a problem with the word "n****r (individual) but are OK with "it" (collective)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

My cousins used whiper whopper. I thought that was odd

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

My cousins used whiper whopper. I thought that was odd

Whiper whopper, am i thinking that means what i think it means or just my imagination LOL

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The faux outrage has gone full-throttle over the past few days. Pewdiepie, Milo, now Walking Dead? The left is actively trying to smear and put a leash on any pop-culture icons that aren't towing the line.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   
One reactive guy had something to say and a hyper-reactive business reacted.

I grew up in Georgia in the 70s and 80s. The version we used replaced the n-word with "tiger."

(Yes, of course, I did ask if tiger's actually had toes, and whether they hollered.)

Yet, in terms of reaction ... see several posters raving that this rather absurd/extreme situation reflects the entire "Left."

Which is just as much an overreaction.

Let people wear what they want on their t-shirts. If you don't like it, look away.

Issue solved.

edit on 23-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

This is as asinine as those who claim that ice cream trucks are racist because they often play the melody from "Turkey in the Straw."

People can not be happy when society gets past something--always must hold on to old racial problems that have mostly been eradicated in things like song lyrics.

Growing up, and not until recently when our nation has had a racial divide reignited, the only thing that I ever thought that was caught by the toe was a tiger.

Let it go, people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join