It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions of Morality.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Interesting too, would be from the perspective of those being 'chosen'.

For instance, my spouse would certainly want me to save our child, from HER perspective---even though I would save her first, and gamble on the odds.

In example two----I suppose I would be willing to die WITH my child, so that one's a bit different for me. I would hug him, ask for forgivness, and we would go out together.

The third one? From the perspective of the cheating spouse, it's likely her self preservation instinct would over rule about anything else---and imagine the moral quandry she would feel seeing the injured(cheated on) party being the very one to save her life!

The last one is really a no brainer---except from the perspective of the poor innocent bastard who I would sacrifice.

Interesting topic!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hey, late to the party with this one. Highly interesting thread, as I often fluctuate between thinking that right and wrong is very clearly deliniated, but as you pointed out, there certain situations arise when there is no right, just maybe less evil.

All I could think about when confronting these questions is that, in split second choices such as these, we pretty much all have that intuitive autopilot which takes over.

I wonder if we fine tune that autopilot by making more or less "moral" choices in less dire situations-- whether we, by small and big choices we make throughout our lives, step by step align ourselves with the forces of good or evil, either of which gives us the extra push when we are faced with our most difficult dilemmas.

Nice thread! Makes for an interesting read, indeed.

So what if that one person in the train wreck situation was one week away from finding the cure for a deadly disease which would immediately prolong thousands of lives? Does the 5>1 life still apply?

edit on 23-2-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick1
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Interesting too, would be from the perspective of those being 'chosen'.

For instance, my spouse would certainly want me to save our child, from HER perspective---even though I would save her first, and gamble on the odds.

In example two----I suppose I would be willing to die WITH my child, so that one's a bit different for me. I would hug him, ask for forgivness, and we would go out together.

The third one? From the perspective of the cheating spouse, it's likely her self preservation instinct would over rule about anything else---and imagine the moral quandry she would feel seeing the injured(cheated on) party being the very one to save her life!

The last one is really a no brainer---except from the perspective of the poor innocent bastard who I would sacrifice.

Interesting topic!

I really like your answer to #2, I also like to think that I would die kicking and screaming and maybe take one nazi with us.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick1

That's a great point, I never looked at it that way. One simple situation has so many different variables and outcomes depending how you look at it. Thanks for pointing this out

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

So many questions, so little answers! I don't think we will ever understand the essence of morality. Makes for a great discussion though

This definitely belongs in the Grey Area.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
the reasoning behind my responses to senario one - look at it from your childs POV post rescue

for the flip of a coin - you MIGHT still be one happi family [ allbeit traumatised by a water rescue ]

but with the decision to rescue the child - you condemed its mother

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join