It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US election system is fine. Don't fix what is not broken.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
America is exceptional. The US is the only country that uses electoral college system. European countries like Russia, Ukraine, France typically use popular vote system. In such a system, if a candidate does not get a majority in the first round, then it gets to a second round where the top 2 candidates in the first round duke it out. Such a system is costly. In the US it is more often than not that no one gets a majority in the first round, because there are 4 parties R, D, L, G. The electoral college system is suitable for the US, so don't fix what isn't broken.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: greenperson
America is exceptional. The US is the only country that uses electoral college system. European countries like Russia, Ukraine, France typically use popular vote system. In such a system, if a candidate does not get a majority in the first round, then it gets to a second round where the top 2 candidates in the first round duke it out. Such a system is costly. In the US it is more often than not that no one gets a majority in the first round, because there are 4 parties R, D, L, G. The electoral college system is suitable for the US, so don't fix what isn't broken.

The electoral system is past its prime, but it is not broken as suchs.

The first past the post-system is ridiculous however, and is THE main reason that the US has a de facto two party system.

Edit: The excellent CGP Grey explains it beautifully:

edit on 22-2-2017 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

Thanks for posting the CPG grey video.

I posted it in another thread a while back and it seems like a good idea to me.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If you get rid of the fine functioning electoral... then us who watch will have to take a day off of work to mob rule vote.

Remember this. The people you're trying to step on, we're everyone you depend on. We're the people who do your laundry and cook your food and serve your dinner. We make your bed. We guard you while you're asleep. We drive the ambulances. We direct your call. We are cooks and taxi drivers and we know everything about you. We process your insurance claims and credit card charges. We control every part of your life.
We are the middle children of history, raised by television to believe that someday we'll be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're just learning this fact. So don't eff with us.

Chuck is a prophet.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: greenperson

I agree with these points... well said.

I used to wish for the college to be abolished, but this past election made me realize how important it is to keep in place. If the electoral college goes away, then national elections will always result in what the people of NYC, LA, and the top major cities vote for.

If '---ENTER NAME HERE--- MATTERS' is the cool thing to join and participate in now, then what the rural citizens of the U.S. and electoral college holds more importance then we may understand. It's easy to fall into the traps of wanting it gone when popular vote gets shoved aside, I get that... but America is set to for 'We The People', and not 'I The People.'

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The current system keeps the country in tact longer that would otherwise be possible.
The same with the senator system

A multiparty system would quickly balkanize the nation.
People should take a look at Current UK maps election maps.
The perceived oppressed Scots had a referendum. SNP never been more popular. Ethnonational parties are great for balkanizing nations.

If youre for sucession multiparty systems are a good way to get their. When a country is not homogeneous it breaks down into ethnonational parties. Especially in economic downturns, see current world.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
A popular vote system does not guarantee democracy. See Russia, Ukraine.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: happyperson
A popular vote system does not guarantee democracy. See Russia, Ukraine.

A popular vote is easier to manipulate, and fill with fraudulent votes due to the sheer number of votes..

The Electoral college is harder to "fraud", as there is a set number of people, and each one is accounted for. A small number is harder to spoof or do fraudulent things with.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

originally posted by: greenperson

The electoral system is past its prime, but it is not broken as suchs.

The first past the post-system is ridiculous however, and is THE main reason that the US has a de facto two party system.

Edit: The excellent CGP Grey explains it beautifully:

Incorrect I'm afraid.

The reason the US like most over countries that claim to be democratic is they are both controlled by the CFR ( and their counter parts by other names in other so called democratic countries) and or their supporters. This is done to create the illusion of democracy and the illusion of freedom of speech.

In reality they are both just two wings of the same bird of prey and guess who the prey is?

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion but allow a very lively debate within that spectrum. – Noam Chomsky

top topics

join