It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churches increasingly feel need to offer sanctuary to undocumented migrants

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: Gryphon66

you`re right it`s absurd for the churches to think they can allow people to live there without someone in the neighborhood reporting them to the local zoning officials.

Did I say that?

I don't think I said that.

Besides, after Mr. Trump signs the First Amendment Defense Act ... the Churches can legally ignore any laws that they feel compromise their faith.

I wonder if he's really thought this through ...

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
These churches will milk this as long as the donations are coming in. If there are no criminals among those they are harboring, nobody is going to come after them. Those folks can stay in the church till hell freezes over.

The woman mentioned in the OP's link is described as a "community activist". So, if you think she is just some poor immigrant with three young children (where's the daddy?) with no place to go, you are probably just extremely gullible. Not only did she come here illegally, she chose to skip the meeting with immigration officials.

She holed up in the church, and shouted "I belong here" as others gathered in support outside the church. In other words, she is stirring up the sh*tpot of dissension.

She and that church are probably raking in the bucks.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

you`re right it`s absurd for the churches to think they can allow people to live there without someone in the neighborhood reporting them to the local zoning officials.

Honestly Tardacus, let's do this.

Let's just get the names and addresses of every person here arguing in favor of Churches giving sanctuary to criminals, and then ship the damned criminals to them. Surely they have a closet or something the poor, defenseless criminals could be sleeping in. And, children that can be raped, and all SORTS of other fun consequences.

Wait...damnit...how'd reality get into this?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK

originally posted by: Gryphon66

As many as it takes.

I hear you.

So you're in favor of expanding Federal departments to the tune of millions of employees?

And, apparently, giving them top jurisdiction in the States and cities?

You're not much of a Conservative, are you?

Never said I was. Sorry, but I don't fit into your "this or that" paradigm.

Oh, and include some of those Aegis class warships with the military fighter jets I mentioned earlier.

Sorry, even my ego won't let me take credit for the common definition of the word "Conservative."

... but I can see that you are definitely in your own special category.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: windword

In case you've not noticed, I'm not Jesus.

Then, you shouldn't try to speak for him, against churches that believe they are carrying out his will!

Yeah, 'cuz everytime you do, a precious religious snowflake is killed by God dropping a planetoid of kittens on them from a great height!!!!!

Don't BULLY God, OR HIS CHURCHES, meanie!!!!!

I'm not a Christian, nor am I religious. I don't believe in the biblical god. Even though, I was raised Christian in a very religious household, I maintain Christian values.

You can check with any religious person in this thread, they'll tell you that I'll attack the Church if I disagree with something they're doing. In this case, I understand where they're coming from.
edit on 22-2-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: windword

In case you've not noticed, I'm not Jesus.

Then, you shouldn't try to speak for him, against churches that believe they are carrying out his will!

Yeah, 'cuz everytime you do, a precious religious snowflake is killed by God dropping a planetoid of kittens on them from a great height!!!!!

Don't BULLY God, OR HIS CHURCHES, meanie!!!!!

I'm not a Christian, nor am I religious. I don't believe in the biblical god. Even though, I was raised Christian in a very religious household, and maintain Christian values.

You can check with any religious person in this thread, they'll tell you that I'll attack the Church if I disagree with something they're doing. In this case, I understand where they're coming from.

Ok, so I'm confused.

Where, exactly, did you see me use language to the effect of stating you are religious or believe in God?

I didn't.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

You're not saying you think that churches are not the houses of God and should enjoy special exemption from our laws, are you?

After all ... "Congress shall make no law ... regarding free exercise of religion."

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I love how I state my opinion, and you immediately lump it in with others. I don't care who you are or what you believe. But lumping someone in with "them" is a clear sign that you feel besieged.

Self-victimization much?

link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: TheBulk

Of what people?

I am applauding the churches who are welcoming the migrants, and sheltering them despite the likes of those who support Trump. What the eff are you talking about????

People who treat others the way they would like to be treated are MY KIND OF PEOPLE.

See how confused you are?
I am saying WELL DONE to those church groups ---- well done indeed! It helps to mitigate the ugliness of the 342,200 congregations who are too scared, or selfish, or comfortable.

My job is to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable. But you may not be capable of recognizing that as a good thing.....so, ymmv

Care to quantify that with some actual facts? I'very been in a lot of churches, and never one that didn't reach out to the community. They do holiday events, food drives, volunteer, and many other things. But you probably think every business owner lives in a mansion too.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: BubbaJoe

And yet, they are making a political statement.

They didn't do this during the Obama Administration and his deportation was supposed to be even higher.

DBC, churches have offered sanctuary for 1000's of years. Immigration is a screwed up topic, the criminals need to be jailed or deported, the ones that are here trying to make a life need a path. I don't have the answers, half of my family were immigrants in 1621 the other half in the 1850's.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
800 actual religious institutions who realize that The Golden Rule is MOST IMPORTANT.

Those other 342,200 congregations who are too COWARDLY and racist and paranoid and FAKE?

I don't get it. Help me by shplaining very slowly.

Why would The Church help people break the law?

Didn't Paul say to not obey the law of the land if it went against "god's" law? Denying refugees is certainly against biblical law. I will quote if you need to but I'm sure you know of a few places in the bible where that is condemned.

Expert on that are you?

Care to provide your evidence?

Of course. Here's an example of your god's law trumping the law of the land (Acts 5:27-29):

27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council. And the high priest questioned them, 28 saying, “We strictly charged you not to teach in this name, yet here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you intend to bring this man’s blood upon us.” 29 But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.

It is clear that obeying the laws of the land is all neat and stuff until it forces you to go against biblical law.

And here is your god telling you what to do. This is hands-down my favorite part of the bible. The Sheep and the Goats (Matthew 25):

31When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, He will sit on His glorious throne. 32All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate the people one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will place the sheep on His right and the goats on His left. 34Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, 36I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’ 37Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’ 40And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’ 41Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, I was naked and you did not clothe Me, I was sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’ 44And they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’ 46And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

So if I were a Christian, I'd be giving two very meaningful middle fingers to the government and try getting as many refugees across my border as humanly possible. Because Jesus said to. Makes sense to me, anyway.

link   

Besides, after Mr. Trump signs the First Amendment Defense Act ... the Churches can legally ignore any laws that they feel compromise their faith.

I don't think that quite applies as you suggest.

Prohibits the federal government from taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that:

They are still accountable under the law.
www.congress.gov...

Permits a person to assert an actual or threatened violation of this Act as a claim or defense in a judicial or administrative proceeding and to obtain compensatory damages or other appropriate relief against the federal government.

This might however but only in a civil sense it seems.

link   

You're not saying you think that churches are not the houses of God and should enjoy special exemption from our laws, are you?

After all ... "Congress shall make no law ... regarding free exercise of religion."

Queen may not be saying it, but, I'll come out and say it.

Religion, biggest cause of war, death, persecution, and bullcaca since man was stupid enough to listen to another man.

link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

When did you quote Jesus? I must have missed that!

Oh, you mean here:

Luke 20:35
He said to them, Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.

That's funny! Jesus was asked about taxes. He asked them who's picture was on the money. They said "Caesar". He said "Give Caesar what is Caesars," as in Caesar owns the money in the first place. It's funny because churches still don't pay taxes, even though Jesus commanded them to do so!

Uh oh! There I go again, attacking churches for being hypocritical! LOL

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

That's rich. Church's on the cusp follow the Golden Rule, yet the Vatican, the wealthiest religious institution and the proverbial lead church, won't take in any, although Pope Frank made a token gesture to one family a few years ago.

link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: DBCowboy

And yet, they are making a political statement.

They didn't do this during the Obama Administration and his deportation was supposed to be even higher.

DBC, churches have offered sanctuary for 1000's of years. Immigration is a screwed up topic, the criminals need to be jailed or deported, the ones that are here trying to make a life need a path. I don't have the answers, half of my family were immigrants in 1621 the other half in the 1850's.

And women used to be considered property. Just like slaves. One you marry, one you buy.

link   

Religion, biggest cause of war, death, persecution, and bullcaca since man was stupid enough to listen to another man.

Kinda old hat around here Homer.

Truly, thanks for sharing though. Working on your post count, are you?

edit on 22-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I agree that we need to do something about the illegal aliens in this country.

I agree that we need to rapidly kick out the ones that are violent, rape,. . etc.

But hiding the fact that some churches "just now" found religion when they conveniently ignored their religion when Obama was in office is disingenuous.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Shhh.... don't try to quote something from the Constitution to these drooling idiots... their delusional ideas are so charming.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Kinda old hat around here Homer.

Truly, thanks for sharing though. Working on your post count, are you?

Yepp, and thank you for helping me. I really don't care if something I believe is "old hat" or not.
See you on Sunday!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join