It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churches increasingly feel need to offer sanctuary to undocumented migrants

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Black_Fox

Would you have problems with churches endorsing political candidates from their pulpits?

I don't care, let them, its free speech.

And it's not breaking any law, and if there is a law preventing people from gathering to talk, it's a stupid one.

It's the same law that gave them their tax exemptions.

So, some laws are stupid, others are sacrosanct. Got it.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

" I know what the topic is. You just opined about American churches not doing enough for Americans. "

If they are Helping Non Citizens , therefore American Citizens in Need are being Hurt by that . Does the Logic of that somehow go " Over " your Head ?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

" I know what the topic is. You just opined about American churches not doing enough for Americans. "

If they are Helping Non Citizens , therefore American Citizens in Need are being Hurt by that . Does the Logic of that somehow go " Over " your Head ?

It is pretty obvious that American churches do not do enough for Americans, shame on them. But if some want to help refugees or immigrants, why is that a problem. American churches, for the most part, blow goats.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Maybe churches don't see nationality.

Maybe they just help those they come across.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Not at all because there's no logic in your assertion.

It's a false dichotomy. Also, an over-simplification. Also, a rhetorical device.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
800 actual religious institutions who realize that The Golden Rule is MOST IMPORTANT.

Those other 342,200 congregations who are too COWARDLY and racist and paranoid and FAKE?

I don't get it. Help me by shplaining very slowly.

Why would The Church help people break the law?

Bc that's what Jesus would do...his law is higher than law if the land, right?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What about all the homeless people in the US?

What are churches doing about that problem?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

Churches United for the Homeless

Literally the first thing that came up on Google.

From my own experience, there are many churches in Atlanta that have some kind of homeless outreach.

(And my god I can't believe I'm standing up for religion.)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

You can claim to be standing up for facts!

Or you could argue that some churches are more than likely using this for monetary gain.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: BubbaJoe

That's not exactly fair. You think everyone is an idiot!

I am sure that you and I have not agreed everytime we have crossed paths, and am not recalling when I have referred to you as an idiot.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I was just taking a jab at ya Joe. I don't recall if you ever did either but some other colorful and humorous adjectives stand out. Asshat I believe is a funny one.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Churches United for the Homeless

Literally the first thing that came up on Google.

From my own experience, there are many churches in Atlanta that have some kind of homeless outreach.

(And my god I can't believe I'm standing up for religion.)

Amen brother.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

You can claim to be standing up for facts!

Or you could argue that some churches are more than likely using this for monetary gain.

Or, we could argue that reality is hardly ever 100% anything.

For example, VP Pence.

The man has come after my people on several occasions. I find his politics to be an unmitigated disaster.

I honestly can't decide whether I think he'd be better or worse than Trump.

BUT.

Even though I think he's a menace, and even though I think he probably did take the opportunity to help out with the vandalism as a political statement ... I also have to acknowledge that he f-ing did it anyway.

He didn't have to. He's not going to be any more or less the Vice President of the United States for the next four years whether he goes and helps out or not. And, like it or not, I have a grudgingly small amount of respect for him for doing so.

TL;DR - Motivations are rarely unilateral.
edit on 22-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Just as always, they take them in

They are acting as sanctions, not homes.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I was just taking a jab at ya Joe. I don't recall if you ever did either but some other colorful and humorous adjectives stand out. Asshat I believe is a funny one.

You and I have had some interesting discussions, you are not someone I would routinely call an asshat. Doucheweasel is another one of my favorites.

I am tired of the BS, I am tired of the lack of common sense and the idea of compromise.

We as Americans are greater than what we are currently exhibiting to the rest of the world.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

You and I have had some interesting discussions, you are not someone I would routinely call an asshat. Doucheweasel is another one of my favorites.

I am tired of the BS, I am tired of the lack of common sense and the idea of compromise.

We as Americans are greater than what we are currently exhibiting to the rest of the world.

Just wanted to offer an "Amen brother" as well.

Jesus, I must be getting sick.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

Just wanted to offer an "Amen brother" as well.

Jesus, I must be getting sick.

Thank you, I truly believe that are several of us here on ATS that could sit down over cocktails, and draft better legislation than is coming out of congress. National Margarita Day, another round.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I am going to give kudos to Pence tonight, here in MO we had a Jewish cemetary vandalized. Several hundred headstones knocked over. Pence came to MO and toured it with our first Jewish Governor. Governor Greitens has asked for volunteers to help, and the response has been awesome. I salute all of those folks that were able to help.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I just read FB comments about this subject with my local np and I'm disgusted. People who claim to be Christians are writing to stop tax cuts to the churches helping... and that's not the worst of it.

I wish all churches would WWJD. It would make me want to go to church again.

Sad that it's only 800 churches, maybe that # will rise.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Those "sanctuary" churches don't know their Bibles very well (or are willfully rebelling against God's Word.)
1 Peter 2:13-15

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men.

Romans 13:1-5

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Luke 20:35

He said to them, Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.

www.biblegateway.com...

The LAW of the land is that these 'migrants' are here unlawfully and any church that refuses to submit to the God given authority of that law is no longer in communion with the Word of God. From where I stand, those 800 institutions need to lose their tax exempt status yesterday and be held to task as the political agenda driven heretics they are.

Are you effin kidding me? Are moderators now telling us to obey the government?

What the heck is going on around here?
edit on 22-2-2017 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join