It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA has discovered 7 Earth-like planets orbiting a star

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang

originally posted by: mtnshredder
With such a lower sun temp than ours and the fact its only 500 mil yrs old, I would think the window for life would be fairly narrow, at least compared to us. Very cool that they're able to compile this data. I love hearing about this stuff, there's so little we know, definitely a milestone for the human race.

Well that depends on extinction level events, maybe they have had less than us.

Or its a sterile rock. Either way.. can have ya'lls stuff when you fly off to earthtwo?? Theyres great strides in origami based terraforming machinery.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: LardoCalorissian
a reply to: muSSang

And btw, noone claimed that they dicovered 7 Earth LIKE planets, both of your sources say Earth SIZED, so did you decide to change it to Earth LIKE in your title?

The relative sizes of the planets and star, plus the system’s proximity, mean that plucking the signatures of living, breathing organisms from the planet’s atmospheres could be within reach.

What do you mean?

The fact that you say "what do you mean" means it ls going to make it hard for me to explain things to you.

I will wait till my 5 year old gets home from school so he can explain it to you in a more simple matter.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Great find OP.

a president that is crazy enough to let rip with a meaningful space program.

The only problem with that is Trump believes there really is a Starship Enterprise and a Millenium Falcon....it's true...he seen it on the telly.

well he probably thinks of his victory in terms of having seen off Empress Palpatine!

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Great find OP.

The only problem with that is Trump believes there really is a Starship Enterprise and a Millenium Falcon....it's true...he seen it on the telly.

well he probably thinks of his victory in terms of having seen off Empress Palpatine!

Im imagining Trump saying " I will build a great Empire -- and nobody builds an Empire better than me, believe me --and I'll build it inexpensively. I will build a great, great Empire in our Milky Way and I will make Mexico pay for the Empire Mark my words."
edit on 22-2-2017 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is amazing news. We just need to get to those planets. (Or the Secret Space Program needs to fess up and admit they got this info from an actual visit there.
)

But seriously, the fact that we have these little adorable guys, the Water Bears, says to me that even if those planets are fixed in position, the 'dark' sides could very well be teeming with life just as much as the habitable areas.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The James Webb is going to be going up next year so that will give us even more data. It's an exciting time!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Makes me wonder how interesting our space programs would be if known habitable planets existed in our solar system

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
Makes me wonder how interesting our space programs would be if known habitable planets existed in our solar system

There were several interesting Star Trek episodes where one race of beings was on one planet... and another race was on another planet, in the same solar system.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
One side is totally in the dark all the time in a permanent night. The other side is totally in the light, facing its sun, all the time in a permanent day. I don't see how that would result in being "fairly reasonable in terms of heat distribution."

I can see the movie based on this discovery now...

The peaceful Zopatoans live in a relative paradise, they live a gentle life, until one day, a young explorer named Ragga goes against the will of his people and travels to the dark half of his home planet. Things are fine, except something[i/] followed him back, life is about to get a whole lot more exciting for the Zopatoans...

This is a seriously cool discovery though. Imagine if life existed on all 3 worlds in the goldilocks zone. 3 planets, all connected by space ports, it would be like every sci-fi geeks wet dream (mine included), shame we'll never get there in my lifetime...
edit on 23/2/17 by djz3ro because: I forgot to add my opinion...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian

Mars might just be habitable (it was definitely habitable in the past), same goes for Saturn's moon Europa. In fact, our space programs are already quite interesting because of that. We are sending more and more spacecraft and rovers to study the habitability and potential signs of life.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This is the type of news that keeps me inspired. Such a # show on earth it's too easy to get caught up in the trivial # that doesn't matter.. this is amazing
edit on 23-2-2017 by gnarlycharley because: Typo

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

This is fascinating!

I am thrilled, to be quite honest. Think of it. Seven planets, all of them rocky, three of them in the stars habitable zone, but ALL of them could harbour liquid water, under the right conditions! This is the most astounding news to come out of space for some time!

The fact that these planets have all been found in the same solar system speaks volumes about the potential for new discoveries around other stars as well. I mean, what are the odds? It is said that if one were to be stood upon the surface of a planet in that system, that one would be able to see the other planets as more than mere specks in the sky, instead be able to see them as we see the moon, all whipping by on their short period orbits around the systems star.

I cannot remember being this excited by news from space, not since the first time I watched footage of the Moon Landing. This discovery fills me with the same child like fascination I felt when delving into space science as a nipper, because this is precisely the sort of stuff that fires the imagination! Its funny you know... I was just thinking that I need a holiday!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Great find OP.

Im imagining Trump saying " I will build a great Empire -- and nobody builds an Empire better than me, believe me --and I'll build it inexpensively. I will build a great, great Empire in our Milky Way and I will make Mexico pay for the Empire Mark my words."

You're gonna love it, yes you are!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
I think your exuberance speaks for a lot of us with regards to this system.

As long as one of them doesn't get named LV-426 I will remain dead excited about all this

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   

People are so gullible. NASA can say anything they like and everyone will go WOW! 369 000 000 000 000 km away and they have all that detail? More CGI nonsense.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: john777

Its an artists impression.

The fact that it has been rendered rather than imaged, does not alter the actuality of the discovery one iota. They only make these images as a placeholder anyway, against a time where an actual image of decent resolution, might be available to replace it... and of course to give those who lack imagination a visual clue as to what they believe is out there, based on the data they have.

Its not a hoodwink. Good grief!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
One of the biggest problems with being so close to a star is that the radiation belts generated along its magnetic fields would be considerable (just look at the radiation surrounding Jupiter and it's reach to its moons). Smaller stars are also very active in terms of flares and emissions of material, at such distances, although considerably smaller than our star could pretty much blast away the atmosphere of planetary bodies and render surface moisture sublimated into space. So it could be little more than 7 barren rocky planets irradiated and stripped of atmosphere gases, replaced with a dense fog of atomised minerals (although it could give some quite spectacular ionised storms akin to those which occur around volcanoes). I would imagine, that life evolving in those conditions would be quite different to ours, most likely microbial extremophiles. It relative youth could also mean the planets are not yet settled in terms of surface density and still being pummeled with the asteroidal building blocks of the star system. Still, it's probably quite a sight to behold!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Now is the time to start researching Von Neumann probes.

If these planets are habitable then in two thousand years or so they could be our future home, after all we have pretty much screwed the home we have.

Or on the other hand the JWT could find nothing and while the Trappit system is close to home it's not close enough. Europa could be eureka.
edit on 23-2-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: LardoCalorissian

And btw, noone claimed that they dicovered 7 Earth LIKE planets, both of your sources say Earth SIZED, so did you decide to change it to Earth LIKE in your title?

The relative sizes of the planets and star, plus the system’s proximity, mean that plucking the signatures of living, breathing organisms from the planet’s atmospheres could be within reach.

What do you mean?

The fact that you say "what do you mean" means it ls going to make it hard for me to explain things to you.

I will wait till my 5 year old gets home from school so he can explain it to you in a more simple matter.

Your 5 year old will explain to me how we will be plucking the signatures of living, breathing organisms from the planet’s atmospheres 35 lightyears away?

This is what they say in your link,

Spitzer, Hubble, and Kepler will help astronomers plan for follow-up studies using NASA's upcoming James Webb Space Telescope, launching in 2018. With much greater sensitivity, Webb will be able to detect the chemical fingerprints of water, methane, oxygen, ozone, and other components of a planet's atmosphere. Webb also will analyze planets' temperatures and surface pressures – key factors in assessing their habitability.

Nothing about plucking signatures of living breathing organisms from atmospheres......

Seems like you have a habit of making things sound more exciting, making stuff up.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: schuyler

I am serious! If the planet completes an orbit in one month, calendar-wise, our life expectancy would be over 700 years.

if the planet completes an orbit in 1 earth month calendar wise then living for 700 years equals about 58 earth years.

If we lived on one of those planets, our life span would be how much longer?

Would be the same as it is on earth if the environmental conditions are the same as earth.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join