It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dumbest non profit "help" organisation I ever heard of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Do you know Siera Leone? A west African country next to Liberia and Guinea, still struggling to recover from a horrible civil war which ended 2002.

CIA library:

No clean water, many of the adults now were child soldiers, no medical care, no food, no education... so what do the good people from the Joe Strummer Foundation do? buying them instruments and a record studio!

Or is it maybe just one big marketing stunt for people so disconnected from reality they really actually do believe the people in Sierra Leone are in any position to "follow their dream"?
The country is going up, economy wise more stable and all, but call me old school I think safe housing for these kids with, hospitals, modern food plants, water processing units, even to hand out laptops with little solar generators would help the youth there a lot more than this crap!
Or a bag of seeds and a pump for the well.

I love music I really do. But this is one of those things where narcissistic first world super egos just make me incredible angry.
As pretty and relaxing and mentally beneficial it can be, ultimately music is utterly useless. Fun and beautiful, but much more meaningless than writing, maths, food, shelter, water....
You dumb £&#$% should be ashamed of yourself.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

They can put that studio next to the Prada and Gucci stores.

Or even next to the facial massage and aroma therapy shops.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I don't quite agree that this is a bad thing. I think that this can do alot of good, as music is the universal language and it will help them relate better to others and themselves. It's also a peaceful means of self expression.

These people need more than just food, shelter, and shoes. They need to be able to live. Whereas my first instinct would be to donate to their basic needs for survival, I believe this too is a good thing.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

I wasn't saying it's a bad thing, just incredible stupid. And at a school they could also learn to "relate better to others and themselves" at a school with a football field. But then they wouldn't come out with dreams of being the next Jay-Z and a record barely anyone can listen to because there's no electricity.
Craft classes also help a big deal in expressing ones feelings, but it also gives you the ability to learn something you might actually be able to use.

And to call it WAYout is just cruel.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Honestly, I get your points. I do.

But....as I am an IT professional, might you possibly be ignoring the idea that developing musical ability has often been tied to higher IQ's and a much better aptitude towards technology as music is math?

Also, I don't quite read the above as saying they want to crank out JayZ's, but rather teach music.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Isn't that maybe more a thing for the next generation? Improvement?
Because as you said the first thing these kids need is a life. This way they become guitar playing prostitutes and bass playing blood diamond miners, but with a slightly better IQ and an improved aptitude for technology....still homeless analphabetic with no hope and no future.

They need infrastructure, jobs, education allowing them to plan and put into practice whatever their communities really need, this "help" isn't helping, because it is at least one or two generations to soon. And so .... Urch narcissistic and shallow it's really disgusting. Like someone from a parallel world had that idea. Or from the 90s....

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

The people from the foundation are listening, but they're not hearing

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Isn't that hearing but not listening?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I know your mom and four sisters died from lack of water and medical care but hey, here's a trumpet!

Are people really this stupid? Let's get them what they need before we teach them music!

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, while I agree with your sentiment to some degree, how large is this foundation, as in, how well funded are they? I have never heard of them. They might be limited as to what they can do financially.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

You're right, my mistake.
but you know what im saying anyway

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

I'm pretty sure they are limited with their funding which makes it even more absurd. Imagine all the housebuilding material, books for learning to read ... they could buy if they wouldn't spend it on new instruments and buy some celebrity for a "samariter marketing stunt"...
Like I said whoever is running this thing doesn't have much brain. Maybe a good heart but dude....

new topics

top topics

join